Hypothetically speaking...

udonkey

I'm going to be applying for a promotion which would move me from Cincinnati to WNY. If I were to get it, I'd be a regional manager in charge of stores located in Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse.

Of these 3 cities, can I get some suggestions as to where would be the ideal place to live? I'll be 25 this fall...I'm single, so I'd probably be looking for a 1 bedroom or a studio (unless a 2 bedroom could be had for a decent price).

I'd prefer to be near a 4 year university, as I've got about 80 credit hours to go to finish up my degree, so it'd be nice to be able to take some night classes and finish up over a couple of years.

This is something that I've tossed around in the past, but the opportunity is available, and I think that I'm qualified, so I'm going for it. The fact that my girlfriend and I just broke up certainly helps make my decision...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Elmwood Ave 600-1000 Block

697383[/snapback]

IF I were your age and in your marital (or lack of it) condition. I too would go with Elmwood Ave. Great shops, bars and Buff State is right up the street. The Elmwood Village is a great place to go.

East end district in Rochester. Live in the Park ave area. Good bar scene for your age group. Plenty of 4 years to choose from, Nazareth, St. John Fisher, U of R, RIT, SUNY Brockport, Roberts Weslyn. Plus you'd be central to your job.

I'm going to be applying for a promotion which would move me from Cincinnati to WNY.  If I were to get it, I'd be a regional manager in charge of stores located in Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse.

Of these 3 cities, can I get some suggestions as to where would be the ideal place to live?  I'll be 25 this fall...I'm single, so I'd probably be looking for a 1 bedroom or a studio (unless a 2 bedroom could be had for a decent price).

I'd prefer to be near a 4 year university, as I've got about 80 credit hours to go to finish up my degree, so it'd be nice to be able to take some night classes and finish up over a couple of years.

This is something that I've tossed around in the past, but the opportunity is available, and I think that I'm qualified, so I'm going for it.  The fact that my girlfriend and I just broke up certainly helps make my decision...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

697379[/snapback]

Hope you get the position!

The Rochester area looks like the middle ground. I'd look for a 2-bedroom in a decent area. Being a regional manager, you will at some point be called upon to entertain. Even if not, extra room is nice. Your frame of mind, since the job will add a lot of extra responsibility, will be the better for it.

Your career is moving up...no grubbing around now. You've mentioned your Dad here, from time to time. Get his opinion.

Best of luck!

Hope you get the position!

The Rochester area looks like the middle ground.  I'd look for a 2-bedroom in a decent area. Being a regional manager, you will at some point be called upon to entertain. Even if not, extra room is nice. Your frame of mind, since the job will add a lot of extra responsibility, will be the better for it.

Your career is moving up...no grubbing around now. You've mentioned your Dad here, from time to time. Get his opinion.

Best of luck!

697389[/snapback]

Called my dad - said to do whatever is best for me. <_< he's always so insightful.

The more I look at it, I'm thinking that near Buffalo would be best, as UB is quite inexpensive (especially when compared to Syracuse).

Like I said, all hypothetical now, as I haven't even applied for the job (will later this evening), but if I get hired, I would imagine that it would all move fairly quickly.

If you're the regional manager and have the syracuse stores, I would recommend East Rochester. Syracuse is a longer haul then most people realize. Plus it isn't far to the games. Besides you can meet with the friday lunch gang and get a garbage plate on occassion.

If you're the regional manager and have the syracuse stores, I would recommend East Rochester.  Syracuse is a longer haul then most people realize.  Plus it isn't far to the games.  Besides you can meet with the friday lunch gang and get a garbage plate on occassion.

697422[/snapback]

Just for calarification for the donkey, you mean the East side of Rochester correct? Don't be telling the boy to move to East Rochester.....only nightlife he'll get is hanging with the mob at Perlo's.

Just for calarification for the donkey, you mean the East side of Rochester correct? Don't be telling the boy to move to East Rochester.....only nightlife he'll get is hanging with the mob at Perlo's.

697427[/snapback]

Yes, that is correct. Thanks for my daily English lesson. <_<

Yes, that is correct.  Thanks for my daily English lesson.  <_<

697433[/snapback]

Not sure what parts of town I'm in - only 3 that I know for sure are:

Walden Galleria - Buffalo

Eastview Mall - Victor (Rochester)

Carousel Center - Syracuse

Might also include Crossgates Mall in Albany, but from what I can tell, thats pretty far from the others.

I'll throw out a vote for Rochester, too. I'm a bit biased since I lived there for ten years, but I think it's a great little city. As others said, you'd be between Buff and Syracuse, the schools are pretty good, and there is a fair bit to do. If my territory included all three cities, I'd choose Rochester.

Not sure what parts of town I'm in - only 3 that I know for sure are:

Walden Galleria - Buffalo

Eastview Mall - Victor (Rochester)

Carousel Center - Syracuse

Might also include Crossgates Mall in Albany, but from what I can tell, thats pretty far from the others.

697443[/snapback]

Well the Galleria is north east side and is right next to the Thruway to Rochester. Not sure where the other two are, but if you have to go to Albany then you're flying because that's 4+ hours.

Again East of Rochester is your best bet. But again depending on where you need to spend most of your time, and where your "home office" is.

Well the Galleria is north east side  and is right next to the Thruway to Rochester.  Not sure where the other two are, but if you have to go to Albany then you're flying because that's 4+ hours. 

Again East of Rochester is your best bet.  But again depending on where you need to spend most of your time, and where your "home office" is.

697446[/snapback]

Home office is Austin, TX, thus it'll be in my apartment, as I'm a remote employee.

Being from Syracuse, I'd say based on where the stores are, Rochester is your best option being that it's more central. Crossgates in Albany is about two hours from Syracuse. Carousel is easy to get to from Rochester, just take the Thruway, get off at 690 east, then take the Hiawatha Blvd exit, right to the Carousel entrance.

Called my dad - said to do whatever is best for me.  :P  he's always so insightful.

The more I look at it, I'm thinking that near Buffalo would be best, as UB is quite inexpensive (especially when compared to Syracuse).

Like I said, all hypothetical now, as I haven't even applied for the job (will later this evening), but if I get hired, I would imagine that it would all move fairly quickly.

697421[/snapback]

Rochester is centrally located to your stores and SUNY Geneso is only 30 minutes from downtown. Of the SUNY schools, Geneseo is rated Ivy League category. I am not knocking UB which is also a very good school.

Are you from Buffalo? I grew up in Hamburg but have lived in Rochacha for the past 25 years and love it. It is about the same distance between Galleria and Carousel Center

Definitely would want to be on the east end if I was single in my twenties! <_<

Rochester is centrally located to your stores and SUNY Geneso is only 30 minutes from downtown. Of the SUNY schools, Geneseo is rated Ivy League category. I am not knocking UB which is also a very good school.

Are you from Buffalo? I grew up in Hamburg but have lived in Rochacha for the past 25 years and love it. It is about the same distance between Galleria and Carousel Center

Definitely would want to be on the east end if I was single in my twenties!  <_<

697522[/snapback]

Not from Buffalo...my only exposure to WNY is from trips to see Bills games, so I'm a complete outsider. I have always enjoyed my visits and really want the promotion, so I"m going to give it my all in hopes of getting the job.

Thanks to everyone for your input...seems like Rochester might be the best option.

Any idea what rent is like? Right now, I'm paying ~$400/mo as my part of a 3 bedroom house, but will be able/willing to pay $400-500/mo for a 1bedroom (perhaps more, depending on the difference in pay that I would get /w the promotion).

If you need to make appearances in all three cities, then Rochester is obviously in the middle. Eastview mall is both east of Rochester and super close to the Thruway to get to both Syracuse and Buffalo. In addition, Eastview is really nice and if I had to work at a mall....that one would be it.

Good rent prices in Rochester will depend on where you live now. If Cincinnati has higher rent, you will be really pleased with what you can get for your money here.