Iran eyes badges for Jews & Christians

http://www.canada.com/components/print.asp...9b1240f&k=32073

"Human rights groups are raising alarms over a new law passed by the Iranian parliament that would require the country's Jews and Christians to wear coloured badges to identify them and other religious minorities as non-Muslims.

Iranian expatriates living in Canada yesterday confirmed reports that the Iranian parliament, called the Islamic Majlis, passed a law this week setting a dress code for all Iranians, requiring them to wear almost identical "standard Islamic garments."

The law, which must still be approved by Iran's "Supreme Guide" Ali Khamenehi before being put into effect, also establishes special insignia to be worn by non-Muslims.

Iran's roughly 25,000 Jews would have to sew a yellow strip of cloth on the front of their clothes, while Christians would wear red badges and Zoroastrians would be forced to wear blue cloth."

http://www.canada.com/components/print.asp...9b1240f&k=32073

"Human rights groups are raising alarms over a new law passed by the Iranian parliament that would require the country's Jews and Christians to wear coloured badges to identify them and other religious minorities as non-Muslims.

Iranian expatriates living in Canada yesterday confirmed reports that the Iranian parliament, called the Islamic Majlis, passed a law this week setting a dress code for all Iranians, requiring them to wear almost identical "standard Islamic garments."

The law, which must still be approved by Iran's "Supreme Guide" Ali Khamenehi before being put into effect, also establishes special insignia to be worn by non-Muslims.

Iran's roughly 25,000 Jews would have to sew a yellow strip of cloth on the front of their clothes, while Christians would wear red badges and Zoroastrians would be forced to wear blue cloth."

694621[/snapback]

That's a terrible source. I just googled the story and the only people picking it up so far are other bad sources. There's at least one story saying it's false. Now it's possible that canada.com scooped this story, but I'll be skeptical for a bit.

That's a terrible source. I just googled the story and the only people picking it up so far are other bad sources. There's at least one story saying it's false. Now it's possible that canada.com scooped this story, but I'll be skeptical for a bit.

694634[/snapback]

How about this one?

http://www.upi.com/InternationalIntelligen...19-105912-5198r

Nope.  Flair.

Unless you meant to shoot a flare.  I dunno.

695914[/snapback]

So you're saying my Flair Gun won't actually help me if I get stranded somewhere? Mainly what it will do is help me accessorize? ;)

If true, it's the same thing Nazi Germany did around 1938, as we all know.

However, unless it comes straight from the Iranians, I tend to take it with a grain of salt. Like the story that continues to circulate around the Internet about how Madalyn Murray O'Hair wants to take "In God We Trust" off our currency. I first heard that story sometime around 1980.

Uh...but there's one problem. She was murdered 11 years ago.

Mike

The National Post has now retracted the story:

Sorry ...

697674[/snapback]

Thank Allah it’s not true! Jews and Christians living in those countries have a hard enough time paying that debilitating tax place on all non-Muslim. Ahh… all’s right with the Muslim world again!

Thank Allah it’s not true! Jews and Christians living in those countries have a hard enough time paying that debilitating tax place on all non-Muslim.  Ahh… all’s right with the Muslim world again!

699813[/snapback]

My apologies. I had assummed that the fact that the story that this thread was based on, was proved to be complete bs was somehow relevant. My mistake. Carry on as before :lol:

My apologies. I had assummed that the fact that the story that this thread was based on, was proved to be complete bs was somehow relevant. My mistake. Carry on as before  :lol:

700544[/snapback]

You (and I, and almost everyone else on the planet) call it bull sh--, but the Bushies call it expert opinion.

The guy who reported made up the whole story, Amir Taheri, was invited to the Whitehouse for his expert opinion on Iraq, as per Tony Snow, Fox News anchor White House press secretary. (props to TPM)

Q Can you give us a readout on the President's meeting this morning with the Iraq experts?

MR. SNOW: Yes. Oh, my goodness, I forgot to bring the list. But actually -- do you have the list, Fred? Yes, it was an interesting meeting. What you ended up having was -- I've got all the names but one written down here. We had Wayne Downing, Barry McCaffrey, Michael Vickers, Amir Taheri, Fouad Ajami and Raad Alkadiri. And you had a combination there of military men and also scholars who are students of Iraq. And it was an interesting discussion that touched upon cultural issues, on political issues, on the state of affairs in Iraq. You had a number of people who've been there recently, General McCaffrey having returned just last month from his latest visit. Fouad Ajami last year had the occasion to sit down and speak with the Ayatollah Sistani, Ali al Sistani.

The President wanted to hear about that. And what he really wanted first was to get their honest opinions -- and, again, these were honest opinions -- about how things are going in Iraq, about the status and viability of the government, and what the United States needs to do on the way forward. The one thing that was of mutual agreement is that, number one, this is an important enterprise, and number two, that we can and will win it. But those are sort of the general outlines of the conversation.

(emphasis mine)

:D

Was he there for his expert opinion on Iraq and Iran, or was he just dropping by to pick up his bag of gold from Karl Rove?

You (and I, and almost everyone else on the planet) call it bull sh--, but the Bushies call it expert opinion.

The guy who reported made up the whole story, Amir Taheri, was invited to the Whitehouse for his expert opinion on Iraq, as per Tony Snow, Fox News anchor White House press secretary. (props to TPM)

:D 

Was he there for his expert opinion on Iraq and Iran, or was he just dropping by to pick up his bag of gold from Karl Rove?

700684[/snapback]

You go to amazing lengths to make Karl Rove an omnipresent boogeyman... :lol:

By the by...for anyone interested, Der Spiegel has a very interesting interview with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, President of Iran. Even if you don't agree with him, it's fascinating to see how Ahmadinejad argues with the interviewer and presents his views, particularly keeping in mind that these views are the only real official story the Iranian people get...

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/internatio...18660%2C00.html

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/internatio...18660%2C00.html