Call for examples of Losman's "attitude"

I guess I just never fall for a quarterback being a #1 pick and having more pressure on him to perform, or a quarterback looking over his shoulder and not playing well because he knows he will be yanked. That is not why he fails, he fails because he couldn't deal with pressure of being an NFK quarterback.

The NFL quarterback is the toughest position to play in all of sports. The difference in the physical talent between a successful one and a flop is usually tiny. It's how he deals with the micro-second decisions, the oncoming maniacs inches from his face, the speed of the defense, and the pressure of the time clock and game that separates the good ones from the bad ones. If JP (or Nall for that matter) is going to be a good quarterback in this league it matters not who he is up against, or who may be behind him. If he's looking over his shoulder, he's already failed.

693229[/snapback]

Spot on, Kelly. 100% correct.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His argument was on rushing, which is fine, and I think everyone recognizes the disadvantage of having to have Willis sit for about 20 games before truly beginning his Bills career.

All the same,

1) doesn't have much to do with Losman, and

2) Willis is the back we have, and I don't mind supporting him, even if he isn't quite as good as the best all-purpose Bills back ever.

692937[/snapback]

Thank you for noting this as the argumentr that davee keeps making is not about the point I am making. I agree completely with him that Thurman is a much better RB that Willis because Thurm excelled at both the running and the receiving fame while Willis only (though only does say a lot here) only at the running game.

It seems fairly obvious to me and I'm glad you also realize the running aspect is all I am referring to and not making a case that WM is better than TT.

I also with your two final points as this has little to do with JP and I only raised it here as a counter extreme but factually correct view to the extreme and generally factually correct Holcomb's Arm post and also that the bottom line for Bills fans is Wiilis is the Bills RB and that like any player he has good points and not so good points and Bills fans would seem likely to hope we build on his good production and minimize his weak areas.

Takeo came out in an interview on Satelite radio yesterday and said that JP is liked by his teammates but needs to earn their respect on the field.

There you have it, an inside source, this thread can now be closed, thank you everyone for coming out and participating in this discussion and sharing your reliable sources/opinions on how JP is a lockerroom cancer

Takeo came out in an interview on Satelite radio yesterday and said that JP is liked by his teammates but needs to earn their respect on the field.

There you have it, an inside source, this thread can now be closed, thank you everyone for coming out and participating in this discussion and sharing your reliable sources/opinions on how JP is a lockerroom cancer

693569[/snapback]

:)

Which is a nice way of saying JP doesn't yet have their respect on the field. In any case, I'm curious as to the context in which this came up. Consider these two different scenarios:

Scenario A

Interviewer: Takeo, tell me about the Bills' quarterback situation.

Takeo: Well, first let me say JP is well-liked by his teammates. That said, he's unproven, and needs to earn our respect on the field.

Scenario B

Interviewer: Is it true Losman is disliked by his teammates?

Takeo: Well . . . I guess you could say Losman is liked by his teammates. He just needs to earn our respect on the field.

Depending on how the question was asked, Takeo might have been going out of his way to stick up for Losman, or he might just have been politically correct.

Part of being a successful quarterback is having an even keel; as Frank Reich did in the comeback game.  Not every quarterback is going to have a Reich-like level of emotional maturity, but Losman gives you less than the minimum you need.

692291[/snapback]

Frank Reich in the comeback game 15 years ago is your measuring stick? That's happened once in the history of the NFL, and he sucked it up in the 1st half. That's not a good measuring stick!

My main concerns about Losman involve his decision-making, ability to see the field, accuracy, and consistency.  As for his attitude, Losman is too much of an emotional roller coaster.  It's hard for him to get excited without getting overexcited.  When he's down, he gets too down.  Part of being a successful quarterback is having an even keel; as Frank Reich did in the comeback game.  Not every quarterback is going to have a Reich-like level of emotional maturity, but Losman gives you less than the minimum you need.

692291[/snapback]

You're comparing a guy who had been a years-long veteran backup to a Hall of Famer (and those two helped each other out) with a kid entering his third season, and only his second one at playing health. I expect you were the picture of maturity at 24, right out of college.

Come on, now.

You're comparing a guy who had been a years-long veteran backup to a Hall of Famer (and those two helped each other out) with a kid entering his third season, and only his second one at playing health.  I expect you were the picture of maturity at 24, right out of college.

Come on, now.

Reich also achieved the biggest comeback in college football history. To me, that says something about his level of emotional stability even as a very young man.

Well, the B'gals had 28 on their roster as of the end of the '05 season.  The eldest is long snapper Brad St. Louis, drafted as a TE in 2000. Out of that, 11 are sure starters.

Their OL has two #1's and a #2 drafted by the team, Jones, Anderson, and Steinbach and a 2nd round pick of PHI's, G Bobbie Williams, and C Rich Braham - a 1994 3rd round pick by AZ that somehow ended up with the B'gals that same year.

Looking at the Bills' past drafts and their '05 roster, I count 27 (includes big Mike), with the eldest being Schoebel, Edwards, and Clements from the 2001 draft. My count is likely in error - I'm not sure of who was on the exact roster at the end of '05.

As starters - Losman, Kelsey, Evans, Schoebel, McGee, McGahee, Clements for sure.

You would have to add Crowell and get Denney and Edwards in the starter list, somehow.

So the two clubs seem comparable in hanging onto draftees and getting them into the lineup, although the Bills not drafting OL's early is notable. And the B'gals discovery of religion happened after their 10+ years of thumb wrestling AZ for the NFL Bozo of the Year title. :lol:

692901[/snapback]

Your post is a perfect explanation of why the Bengals are in great shape and we continue to lose football games.

Of course, few if any want to hear it, and applaud the selection of another mass of little people, while giving up picks in the process. :);)

Your post is a perfect explanation of why the Bengals are in great shape and we continue to lose football games.

Of course, few if any want to hear it, and applaud the selection of another mass of little people, while giving up picks in the process.  :wacko:  :doh:

694172[/snapback]

I can't really fault the Bills for what they did. The players Marv took were at positions of need.

But I can fault them for what they didn't do: address the offensive line. Also there's this: if Marv's drafting Youboty, it's a sign Nate might not be here beyond this year. If so, why didn't Marv trade Nate? The Bills are a rebuilding team. The last thing we should be doing is giving up draft day value in exchange for a one-and-done performance such as Nate might be offering. Whatever draft picks Marv got for Nate could have been used on the offensive line.

It's been a long time since the Bills have had a GM who could even spell the words "offensive line." I just hope Marv proves to be cut from a different cloth.

Of course, few if any want to hear it, and applaud the selection of another mass of little people, while giving up picks in the process.  :wacko:  :lol:

694172[/snapback]

Tunnel vison can become just as much the enemy of a critic as it can a myopic fan :doh:

The offensive line was addressed, MW was cut, Teague is gone, Fowler and Reyes were signed, its not like they just sat on their hands and did nothing

But I guess the lines would have only been addressed if Marv signed Hutch and Bentley, and then drafted every single available o-linmen in the first day of this years draft. Cause thats the only way a successful line is built. :wacko:

Back on topic, Yes JP like most other young players have to earn respect from the veterans by on field performance. There still has been no proof of him being a cancer in the locker room, Takeo was just making the point that on the field the players will have to see that he truley can lead this team on his own to get their respect.

It would be like working in a job for 10 years and then all of the sudden your company hires a young up and comer right out of college to be your new supervisor. He might be a really good guy and easy to get along with outside of work, but its going to take you a little while and your gonna have to see that this kid really knows his stuff before you are willing to listen and follow orders from him. Now if your boss kept promoting him and demoting him between the mailroom and supervisor, your gonna lose respect for this guy cause the managment is showing a lack of faith in him.

It would be like working in a job for 10 years and then all of the sudden your company hires a young up and comer right out of college to be your new supervisor. He might be a really good guy and easy to get along with outside of work, but its going to take you a little while and your gonna have to see that this kid really knows his stuff before you are willing to listen and follow orders from him. Now if your boss kept promoting him and demoting him between the mailroom and supervisor, your gonna lose respect for this guy cause the managment is showing a lack of faith in him.

694592[/snapback]

Well illustrated.

The offensive line was addressed, MW was cut, Teague is gone, Fowler and Reyes were signed, its not like they just sat on their hands and did nothing

But I guess the lines would have only been addressed if Marv signed Hutch and Bentley, and then drafted every single available o-linmen in the first day of this years draft. Cause thats the only way a successful line is built. :wacko:

694592[/snapback]

Definitely a great post as it reminds folks that while it is certainly totslly correct to point out that the Bills need a ton of work on the OL for it to even be adequate (well duhh), that to merely say this obvious fact without acknowledging the reality that:

1. They got rid of folks who were big players on this non-productive OL and clarly are going in a different direction.

2. They have acquired new performers and likely starters at 2 of the 5 OL positions and actually 3 of 6 position if one counts a blocking TE as part of the OL.

3. The attitude seems to be save the best and leave the rest. This leaves open a lot of questions (LG) but at least there are options there and even if the best isn't very good, one side effect is that it will not take much to make things better.

The OL will almost certainly be better the question though is whether it will be adequate?

693569[/snapback]

Translation: He is a nice guy but a sh1tty quarterback.

Translation: He is a nice guy but a sh1tty quarterback.

694714[/snapback]

No more like "He is a nice guy, but has not shown us he can be the leader of this team yet"

And Pyrite Gal

Your right, they addressed the o-line this offseason and it should be better. Will it be the best o-line to every take the field for an NFL team - Probably not. Will it be the best o-line in the NFL today - One could hope, but not likely. Will it be good enough to help keep us in a game and not cost us the game (or QB's lives) - probably. Will it be better then last year - almost certain.

Everyone here is under the impression we need all Pro-Bowlers lining up infront of the QB to make this team decent, when in reality, we only need an o-line that can be good enough to keep us in games and not cost us any.

I can almost guarantee that next draft, if the defence shows it is back to being what it was 2 years ago, The offence will be the next area that will get the focus of the draft.

Reich also achieved the biggest comeback in college football history.  To me, that says something about his level of emotional stability even as a very young man.

693878[/snapback]

Holcomb come on now.....

- What were the names of the Offensive Linemen of the bills at that time? I seem to remember them being pretty good.... :wacko:

- What were the offensive weapons of that time....I seem to remember most of them either on Ralph Wilson Stadium wall or in the HOF..... :doh:

It was an entirely different situation with a SEASONED vet QB

Sometimes the arguements you make.... :lol:

Holcomb come on now.....

- What were the names of the Offensive Linemen of the bills at that time?  I seem to remember them being pretty good.... :doh:

The comment you're responding to addressed what Reich achieved in college. The names of the Bills' offensive linemen are hardly relevant to that.

My point about Reich was that if you take away his emotional stability, he probably wouldn't have achieved those comeback wins either in college or as a pro. So emotional stability is something you should look for from your QB. You're welcome to disagree with this point if you care to. But it seems like you're getting a little off the subject.