Doug Flutie to make important announcement

Doug Flutie's 2 seasons as starting QB for the Bills = 2 playoff berths

Since Flutie got slabbed in the back by the Bills = 0 playoffs berths

My friends, the curse of Flutie is upon this franchise. If I'm Ralph, I give Flutie a spot on the wall of fame and an annual Flutie Day. Then perhaps, the football gods will relent and good football will return to One Bills Drive. :lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug Flutie's 2 seasons as starting QB for the Bills = 2 playoff berths

691742[/snapback]

Oh yes, and LOTS of playoff wins!

Dougie would have won it, I know. Because Dougie was a superlative special teams player and coach in addition to being the most wondrous figure to line up under center post-Kelly. :lol:

Have higher standards, people. And yes, that is a pun.

I was a Johnson guy at the end of the DF/RJ debate. I now regret it. However large DF's ego was, he did win while he was here. And it is at least arguable that he helped keep the Bills here by helping to spark a run on luxury suites necessary for the lease to go into effect.

He certainly brought excitement to the team... sorely lacking since he left.

Because by then, he was 90 years old.

I don't think that he was "great," but he was seemingly blackballed by the NFL. Why, I don't know.

I am not his biggest fan by any means, but DF should never have played one down in Canada. He was better than a majority of the NFL qbs while he was out of the league.

691687[/snapback]

Flutie was never an NFL starting-caliber QB. Couldn't make it to #1 in NE and couldn't do it in Chicago. Had be been a LITTLE humble, he could have been one of the great back-ups of all time, IMO. Canada is where he could really shine and be The Man...so he went for it.

Don't blame his NFL failures on anybody but Skin Flutie himself.

Thanks for the memories Doug...one of the Bills' few offensive gamers in the post-Kelly era.  The Plastic Cup will hoist itself in your honor.

691753[/snapback]

The Plastic Cup can be used to honor someone with a toast or to ridicule someone with a beer shower. What beautiful Manicheanism...

good. i'm glad the little dwarf prick is out of the league. I guess we'll hafta see him on ESPN now standing on a phonebook to do his reporting. But as someone said, he'll fit in there perfectly.

Oh yes, and LOTS of playoff wins!

Dougie would have won it, I know.  Because Dougie was a superlative special teams player and coach in addition to being the most wondrous figure to line up under center post-Kelly.  :lol:

Have higher standards, people.  And yes, that is a pun.

691746[/snapback]

I was being sacrastic.

However for the sake of argument, Flutie did have us in position to tie his first playoff game against Miami. Granted, all people remember is Flutie's fumble. Everyone forgets Andre Reed (my favorite Bill) flipped out at being ruled down at the 1 and got a 15 yard penalty. Then, the sack occurred. Game over.

As for the Tennessee game, Flutie was absolutely screwed. The bills handled that situation as bad as they possibly could. That was a complete stab in the back. And I truly believe that forward lateral was somewhat poetic justice (as painful as it is to say).

As for Flutie not being a good team guy, let's review some things. His whole career he was told he was to small to play (as many posters like to make jokes about). So all he does is win a Heisman trophy. Then, he is deemed not good enough for the NFL. So he goes up to the CFL and dominates. Finally he gets his shot back with the Bills and beats out this hotshot big money QB. He becomes comeback player of the year (Moulds' best season by the way) and goes to the pro bowl. He comes back, leads us to the playoffs again, only to lose his job in a meaningless game. So if you were Flutie, you probably be a little pissed.

Sorry for the rant, but this always pissed me off. Say what you want about Flutie (not strong enough arm, the defense carried the team, not a team game), the bottom line is he was a winner for the Bills and that's how I'll remember him. He was exciting and produced the only stat that matters: W's. I'd rather have a little Flutie than a big johnson. :P

My favorite Doug Flutie moment was the 1998 play-off game I attended against the Dolphins at Joe Robbie. We were down 24-17 with less than 30 seconds left in the game and drove inside the 10 yard line. Now under these circumstances you would expect every fan in the stadium to be on their feet going beserk.......while half of the Dolphin fans were on their feet screaming - the other half were sitting - looking like a deer caught in the headlights and you could tell they were thinking....." Oh no - not again" It was a weird moment for sure - and as we all know - we turned the ball over and game over.

Flutie was never an NFL starting-caliber QB.  Couldn't make it to #1 in NE and couldn't do it in Chicago.  Had be been a LITTLE humble, he could have been one of the great back-ups of all time, IMO.  Canada is where he could really shine and be The Man...so he went for it.

Don't blame his NFL failures on anybody but Skin Flutie himself.

691760[/snapback]

He made the pro bowl and was comeback player of the year. He also took us to the playoffs twice. That's doesn't qualify as NFL starter caliber? Then, you got a lot higher standards than I do. If JP does what Flutie did in a Bills uniform (regardless of his stats), we would all cream ourselves. :lol:

He made the pro bowl and was comeback player of the year.  He also took us to the playoffs twice.  That's doesn't qualify as NFL starter caliber?  Then, you got a lot higher standards than I do.  If JP does what Flutie did in a Bills uniform (regardless of his stats), we would all cream ourselves.  :lol:

691788[/snapback]

If JP doesn't end up being twice or three times the NFL QB that Flutie was, he'll be considered a bust.

If JP doesn't end up being twice or three times the NFL QB that Flutie was, he'll be considered a bust.

691796[/snapback]

Which leads to the next question...

Would you rather have Flutie circa 1998 or today's JP Losman?

Flutie was good for the Bills. He gave the team a desperately needed spark. He did what was asked of him and was always cool under pressure, never letting much rattle him.

I find it ridiculous so many people on this board dislike Flutie. It doesn't make any sense.

The only reason I can see for the Flutie hate is that when the RJ-Flutie debate was raging, people who argued for RJ decided to just blindly hate the opposition as much as possible no matter what. And that's still carrying over, despite RJ being gone and those pro-RJ people realizing what a bust he was, they still hate Flutie because they decided they would awhile ago! That sort of black and white thinking you see all over the board.

Which leads to the next question...

Would you rather have Flutie circa 1998 or today's JP Losman?

691812[/snapback]

I don't care about stats, so I really don't care about JP's 60 something QB rating. However, his 2-7 record is a big worry. So if you told me, JP would lead us two double digit winning seasons plus the playoffs and be a pro bowler one year, I would take it in a heartbeat. I'm sure the teams that draft Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, and all other 1st round busts would take Flutie's career as a Bill. And that's what I can't understand why Flutie doesn't get the respect he deserves from Bills fans.

P.S. Flutie is on PTI in a couple of minutes

I don't care about stats, so I really don't care about JP's 60 something QB rating.  However, his 2-7 record is a big worry.  So if you told me, JP would lead us two double digit winning seasons plus the playoffs and be a pro bowler one year, I would take it in a heartbeat.  I'm sure the teams that draft Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, and all other 1st round busts would take Flutie's career as a Bill.  And that's what I can't understand why Flutie doesn't get the respect he deserves from Bills fans.

P.S. Flutie is on PTI in a couple of minutes

691843[/snapback]

His record is not 2-7. THe Bills are 2-7 when he started. This is a TEAM game...not tennis.

His record is not 2-7.  THe Bills are 2-7 when he started.  This is a TEAM game...not tennis.

691856[/snapback]

Sorry, should have stated it better. However, whether it should be or not, qbs get a lot of the credit for wins and losses. Tom Brady gets a ton of credit of being a winner because his team wins. Peyton Manning wins a lot of games but gets the lion's share of the credit when that Colts lose in the playoffs. Is it entirely his fault? Of course not. But let's not be naive here. QBs are judged by their win-loss record. And according to this, Doug Flutie with the Bills was a winner and for some reason, some Bills fans chose to ignore this. JP has yet to show this.