Today's camp notes from Chris Brown

JoeF

Chris Brown's notes from bb.com. Jauron press conference is also up. Nice recovery from Youboty.....

Ashton Youboty made up for a mistake in coverage Saturday when he bit on a double move going against Andre Davis and got beat for a would-be touchdown.

Going against Davis again he did not bite and ran stride for stride with him down the field and broke up the pass, earning praise from defensive backs coach George Catavolos.

Ko Simpson had an interception in the deep middle off of Craig Nall intended for Lee Evans.

Rookie free agent DE Ryan Neill had a fumble recovery.

Anthony Thomas looked pretty good in his first camp as did Tutan Reyes. Thomas was smooth making catches out of the backfield and is five to 10 pounds lighter than he was when he played for Dick Jauron in Chicago. He's right around 220.

Brad Cieslak is getting a strong look at tight end and is high in the rotation, often right behind projected starter Robert Royal.

Sam Aiken made his share of catches in this camp.

Coach Jauron said the Bills do not plan to scrimmage anybody as part of training camp this summer. He said he's never done it as a head coach and would prefer to stay on campus at St. John Fisher and focus on his team.

---

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the bills will be at fisher for a while i believe it was last year they extened the deal with them for a while

plus with all the money ralph and the bills have put into fisher with a new field and other upgrades im sure the school will do whatever they can to keep them around

Which QB has been looking best in practice. Have they said?

686115[/snapback]

I read a news article at the TBD home page and it says that Holcomb has played the best so far (zero INT's). I'm pulling for JP to take charge but if he fails then it has to be Nall to lead us.

I read a news article at the TBD home page and it says that Holcomb has played the best so far (zero INT's).  I'm pulling for JP to take charge but if he fails then it has to be Nall to lead us.

686117[/snapback]

If Holcomb's the best, so be it. Things may change, but if it doesn't... Well, you can't change reality and if that's the reality he should start.

Holcomb has been the safest.  Boring!

686121[/snapback]

I was thinking the same. It would be nice to know if he was still throwing the same passes he normally does or if he's getting them downfield.

The report I read said all three were checking-down a lot (ugh!), but that Losman was gunning them deep and into tight spots.

686125[/snapback]

Actually, hearing that Losman is checking down is a good thing to me. His first instinct is to throw deep, and he has shown he has the ability to make the thows. I want to see him show that he can make those short throws and know where his recievers are on each play.

Actually, hearing that Losman is checking down is a good thing to me.  His first instinct is to throw deep, and he has shown he has the ability to make the thows.  I want to see him show that he can make those short throws and know where his recievers are on each play.

686130[/snapback]

He also actually needs to hit his receivers on the short patterns.

I read a news article at the TBD home page and it says that Holcomb has played the best so far (zero INT's).  I'm pulling for JP to take charge but if he fails then it has to be Nall to lead us.

686117[/snapback]

If Holcomb performs the best, why not him?

The article on BB.com made it sound like JP was coming along, but there is something else that should be said. If Holcomb is the starter, I would prefer he make boring plays and get first downs/touchdowns and win the game than be flashy and still have us lose. Winning is the goal and I don't care who the quarterback is, or how boring they play. If they get the job done, that's what counts.

686117[/snapback]

Tough to throw an INT when your longest pass goes 3 yards in the air on a checkdown. holcomb = RJ

The article on BB.com made it sound like JP was coming along, but there is something else that should be said.  If Holcomb is the starter, I would prefer he make boring plays and get first downs/touchdowns and win the game than be flashy and still have us lose.  Winning is the goal and I don't care who the quarterback is, or how boring they play.  If they get the job done, that's what counts.

686136[/snapback]

Amen

If Holcomb performs the best, why not him?

686134[/snapback]

I think in reality it depends on IF Holcomb performs better than the other two overall then how much better does he perform.

My sense is that this a fair fight which will be won by performance on the field where it should be rather than TD or someone designating a starter based upon whom he feels in his opinion is better.

We've repeatedly been killed by Butler designating JP the starter and went back on his word to give Flutie a fair shot.

By Ralph using his owners perogative to give the job to JP prior to our last playoff loss based on the Bills rolling over a Colts team which had given up.

By TD foolishly extending Bledsoe when his preious season on the field was horrid, and then cut Bledsoe and designating JP the next godsend only to have him fold up last year.

(I will not even go into the additional stupidity of the huge bonus given to JP or the reasonably made but poorly executed assessment of Hobert). The designation of any QB as the regular season starter (be it JP, Nolcomb or Nall without real competition in practice and likely through the first two pre-season games ia bad move.

However, even though I think thankfully this will be decided on the field, folks need to recognize the reality that JP is at least first among equals. If it is close between JP and Holcomb even if Holcomb is a bit better, then JP correctly gets the nod because he is the younger player with more upside and due to the reality of contracts.

Holcomb will need to demonstrate the chances of the Bills winning are substantially higher or else JP gets the start. In real life i think this means that Holcomb will need to show more than just simply not making mistakes he will need to either rack up some long TDs or high competion % AND JP will need to screw up enough to indicate there is little immediate upside.

Nall must make no mistakes and also move the team effectively to get in the mix/

Iy ain't fair but it is life.