Is Angelo Crowell going to start?

I did some searching here and don't see much discussion about Angelo Crowell. A real bright spot for the bills last year.

Isn’t posey a bit expensive to be a back up? Is there a chance he and Crowell split time, depending on the situation? Or is this more of a SLB/WLB issue?

Maybe we will see Posey at DE more this year?

LB Jeff Posey - $2.1875 M - $437,500 hit if released.. (http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/salarycap.shtml)

Also, its significant savings to cut him. About 1.75 mil. It’s not like we have ton of available cap room, so why keep him? There must be some FA's available to fill the backup LB role. Someone to play ST (which I don't think Posey does)

and with the move to a Cover 2 D, Crowell probably fits our scheme even more this year.

Looking at the stats and watching them play; this seems to be a no brainer.

Crowell 6-1 235lbs Age: 24

GM: 15

TOT: 115

SOLO: 77

AST: 38

SACK: 3.0

TLOSS 8.5 (very impressive; best on the team. probably best on many teams)

FF: 1

INT: 2

PD: 5 (also impressive)

Jeff Posey 6-4 241lbs Age: 30

GM: 16

TOT: 61

SOLO: 39

AST: 22

TLOSS 4

INT: 0

PD: 3

Well, here's the thing. There are no good free agents left to sign (and there hasn't been for awhile) so we're going to end up with excess cap space anyway. There's no reason for us to cut Posey because there's no reason for us to create cap space until next season.

No Guarantee that Spikes is back 100 % this yaer and virtual lock he won't be at the start of training camp so unless one of the Rook's/ backups really comes on he will be starting/ backing up in last years position.

I did some searching here and don't see much discussion about Angelo Crowell. A real bright spot for the bills last year.

Isn’t posey a bit expensive to be a back up? Is there a chance he and Crowell split time, depending on the situation? Or is this more of a SLB/WLB issue?

684750[/snapback]

I think Crowell could start at WLB but not SLB. Though don't think he's good enough to beat out Spikes unless he's lost a step or two and if so then Takeo might be shifted to SLB. That said Posey could still end up starting and having a good year as Jauron made good use of Rosevelt Colvin as a rush LB in Chicago.

Crowell is a bit small to start on the strong side but he did play well there last year. With Posey aging I think Crowell might get the nod and start this year, at least in the pre-season to see how it goes. Don't worry about Spikes either. If anyone is going to come back 100% from that kind of an injury its him. He's been exceeding expectations every step of the way, and he will be back.

GO SABRES!!!

GO TKO!!!!!

Well, here's the thing.  There are no good free agents left to sign (and there hasn't been for awhile) so we're going to end up with excess cap space anyway.  There's no reason for us to cut Posey because there's no reason for us to create cap space until next season.

684754[/snapback]

I think Posey has naked pictures of Ralph, and I, for one, don't want ANY chance of them ever being released ... {to quote Gregg} EVER!

I've heard that in the Tampa 2, a larger SLB is not really as much a priority, and all 3 of the linebackers are supposed to be quite fast.

The bears for example:

Bears - Hunter Hillenmeyer - 238 lbs; and backup Ayanbedjo - 228 lbs

I guess my point is that Crowell could play strong side in this defense, though it will depend on Spikes' condition

Crowell 6-1 235lbs Age: 24

GM: 15

TOT: 115

SOLO: 77

AST: 38

TLOSS 8.5 (very impressive; best on the team. probably best on many teams)

INT: 2

PD: 5 (also impressive)

Jeff Posey 6-4 241lbs Age: 30

GM: 16

TOT: 61

SOLO: 39

AST: 22

TLOSS 4

INT: 0

PD: 3

Nice data. I hope Crowell gets a chance to start. I'm confident Fewell will get it right. I'm not as confident about the linebackers coach, Matt Sheldon. He's a first-year LB coach. Basically, I think he'll be listening to Fewell (and Fletcher and TKO).

I dont get where Angelo Crowell is "too small" to play slb.

Crowell 6'1 235

this is from his prospect profile

Positives: Has a muscular frame with good quickness and agility … Shows strength at the point of attack, taking on the lineman or fullback with aggression, using his hands well to shed … Smart athlete who calls defensive signals … Stays on his feet and knows how to avoid blocks while maintaining balance on the move … Sees counter plays quickly … Can drop into zone coverage with his head on a swivel and has the acceleration to get to the receivers in the deep zone … Also shows good awareness in man coverage, mirroring the receiver in the short area before switching off on his assignment … Comes off the edge with explosion as a pass rusher and can blast his way up the middle to track down the ball … Can play any linebacker position, but his hand usage, run pursuit and zone drops are better suited for the middle … Allows little cushion on running backs coming out of the backfield in passing situations … Shows fluid lateral agility and crisp change-of-direction technique.

The Tampa 2 defense relies heavily on speed from the lb position. The MLB especialy as he is asked to do a lot of deep zone coverage. I think if Spikes is healthy Crowell would be just fine at slb in this defense as it's not about stepping up and filling gaps but rather covering an area and relying on speed which seem to be the anti-thesis of what posey can do.

we play 3-4

spikes, fletch, posey and crowell

684777[/snapback]

i would rather go 4-3

Spikes, Fletcher, Crowell

I would rather have Kelay on the field over Posey. that should tell you how i feel about posey.

Interesting thought...any chance we employ the 3-4? or is cover 2 strictly a 4-3 setup?

the only real success Posey had was in a 3-4 scheme and I believe Crowell was drafted as a MLB.

So as far as our LB's go we have the right players for it.

Posey Fletcher Crowell Spikes

Although Posey may not have the coverage skills, and could be a weak link a la coy wire in coverage.

I don't see why our DB's would have a problem with this, but i don't think D-line is not suited for 3-4. not enough BEEF, and buffalo's ends don't get enough pressure as a unit. Schobel is the only end I am completely happy with. Kelsay will hopefully keep improving.

There is lots of talk about Tripplett and McCargo being the same type of DT, but how would they fair in a 3-4? Rotating them in an out...probably asking too much of McCargo as a rookie.

Either way, I hope to see Crowell out there on most downs. He is fun to watch, and I think he will be a playmaker/difference maker for this D.

Also, its significant savings to cut him. About 1.75 mil. It’s not like we have ton of available cap room, so why keep him? There must be some FA's available to fill the backup LB role. Someone to play ST (which I don't think Posey does)

and with the move to a Cover 2 D, Crowell probably fits our scheme even more this year.

684750[/snapback]

If they do cut him, it will be at the last conceivable moment. Like him or not, he is experienced and his contract is affordable.

The Bills are loaded at LB, they simply are not locked and loaded yet while the TKO recovery from injury is uncertain.

Crowell was not only drafted as an MLB but actually had the back-up RB slot behind Fletch in pre-season action until the injury to TKO brought him to the starting WLB spot which he did a good job in occupying last year (he was no TKO but few are).

As an MLB he not only had pass coverage duty but did play calling when he was in and just as the move to the WKN position was doable for him so does a move to SLB seem doable to me should we choose to try this.

Posey like much of the rest of the D sucked last year. However, even those who complained about Posey in 04 and 03 (TSW knowlegable guy Simon for example) never came up with specific plays or examples where their complaints about turning the wrong way or taking a bad angle of attack resulted in a player who Posey was covering getting a TD or breaking a long run.

He only has excelled during his career in a 3-4 (he got 8 sacks to attract the Bills attention as an FA), but he strikes me as being at least adequate if not a little better than adequate in 03 and 04 as the starting SLB on the #5 and #2 ranked Ds in the NFL

What Posey did these two years which was pivotal to the function of one of the best statistical Ds in the NFL was that he proved to be a player who could both run stop and pass cover and he was smart enough to make the correct read and play this freelance role in our working zone blitz those two years.

Some folks got all bright-eyed and creamy over AJ Hawk, but this would have been a bad move for team building as he likely would have started immediately and even if one cut Posey, it still forces Crowell who recently signed a big extension deal to the bench. This not only would be a waste of resources but would have left us without Whitnet and a hole at SS and still needing to trade up to get McCargo or fill the DT hole with our 3ed round pick.

When one adds to this we have also extended Haggan and Stamer, the Bills really are locked at LB.

To answer the question directly. I think Crowell will start either beating out Posey at SLB or if TKO can't come back like we want he gets the call at Will and Posey stays and starts at Sam.

If we need the cap room cut him, but if not he is fine by me as a back-up LB (though I hope we are active enough getting back-up OL guys from the FAs and any roster bonus forced cuts of LBs that we do decided to cut him for cap room.

I'm gonna second the question made above- does the Tampa Bay Cover 2 allow for a 3-4 scheme as well as a 4-3? From all the talks so far I have only heard coaches talk like we're running a 4-3. Why cut Posey, is there anyone else left to sign? I doubt we use the extra money to lock up Clements. I think with our new 3rd rd CB Youboty it's more likely than not that Nate will walk next season unless we turn into a good team overnight and he actually wants to be here.

I highly doubt we go to 3-4 with all of the DT's on the roster.

684942[/snapback]

yea my thoughts also...so much talk about DT's and the fact that we didnt need a NT but a fast DT to go with Tripplett..I dont see bills going with 3-4 at all.

Free agents still availible

Peter Boulware-injuries, have destroyed his career

Chad Brown-too old +

Rocky Calmus-overhyped out of college, could be a good special teamer ++

Quinton Caver-he never got his footing in Dallas ++

Chris Claiborne-great college talent, never got his footing anywhere, played in cover two last year +++

Jay Foreman-uhhm, good ILB back up +

Keith Newman-I remember thinking anyone is better than Newman, I was wrong ++

Tommy Polley-has played in the cover two, and once said he was good friends with Fletcher +++

Jamie Sharper-injuries

The only two I'd consider is Polley and Claiborne, hopefully that list is correct.

Damn I hope not. Crowell maybe fairly quick, and decent hand to intercept balls, but he can't shed blocks, takes poor angles, and may actually be worse then Posey at wrapping up and actually bringing down guys in front of him.