Jags Owner Supports Wilson

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories...01/daily30.html

Though he voted in favor of the pact Wayne Weaver, owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars -- like Buffalo, a small-market franchise -- told the Florida Times-Union, Wilson's concerns are real.

"It turns out," Weaver said, "that Ralph was right, and he was far ahead of many of us."

Here's the full text (you need to register on the site to read their crap):

---------------------------------------------

Sitting in his office Tuesday, Wayne Weaver was basking in the glow of a solid draft when the subject quickly shifted to a different topic: Weaver strongly defending Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson.

Not long ago, the NFL's owners and players struck a deal lauded by both sides as something that would engender labor peace for years to come.

While the deal avoided potentially ugly consequences at the time, what is now not generally known is just how problematic the labor situation remains.

Despite ratifying the deal, a substantial number of owners, mainly those in smaller markets, remain concerned about the long-term health of lower-revenue franchises. Some owners are so worried they believe drastic adjustments might be needed to the collective bargaining agreement in order for smaller-market teams to survive in the NFL.

"Without some kind of long-term structural change to the way we do business in the NFL," Weaver explained, "our current system is unsustainable."

Weaver did not want to turn our talk into a complaint session about small-market vs. big-market politics. Instead, Weaver felt passionately that he needed to stand up for Wilson, the longtime owner of the Bills, whose image was savaged during the labor talks.

"It turns out," Weaver said, "that Ralph was right, and he was far ahead of many of us."

Weaver is referring to how, in the moments and days after the ratification of the agreement, Wilson stated how he was confused about the particulars of the deal. There were quips made by both the press and others about the 87-year-old Wilson's mental acuity.

"People portrayed Ralph as this older guy who wasn't thinking clearly," Weaver said. "Ralph was thinking just fine. He understood the situation perfectly."

---------------------------------------------

Now, shall we start calling out the ignorant dipschitts on this board who called Ralph a senile, drooling, doddering old fool and the laughingstock of the NFL?

Anyone who berated Ralph for his comments after the new CBA was approved should be ashamed of themselves. :doh:

Now, shall we start calling out the ignorant dipschitts on this board who called Ralph a senile, drooling, doddering old fool and the laughingstock of the NFL?

682795[/snapback]

That would be a job best left to a professional typist. :doh:

Somebody should e-mail that to Colin "Douchebag" Cowherd. He loves spending the day mocking Ralph and Marv for being old, considering he has no other material.

Edit: As a matter of fact, I just did.

Somebody should e-mail that to Colin "Douchebag" Cowherd. He loves spending the day mocking Ralph and Marv for being old, considering he has no other material.

Edit: As a matter of fact, I just did.

682859[/snapback]

Done. :doh:

Ralph was right, and I'm glad other small market owners are starting to recognize that fact.

682890[/snapback]

Actually, Tags basically said that Ralph as wrong, and that little of his complaining was actually what the qualifiers said or meant or would eventually be. That doesn't, however, make what Ralph did any less important. What Ralph did by complaining was awesome, because he drew attention to it and he got the Bills and a lot of other small market teams on that committee. But basically everything Ralph complained about was unfounded. At least so far.

Actually, Tags basically said that Ralph as wrong, and that little of his complaining was actually what the qualifiers said or meant or would eventually be.

682896[/snapback]

You believe a lame duck lawyer worried about his legacy??? :doh:

You believe a lame duck lawyer worried about his legacy???    :doh:

682898[/snapback]

Overall, Tagliabue has been a pretty damn decent commissioner over the years. Not fabulous, and surely not pleasing everyone, but in a pretty difficult job he has excelled. The NFL is in pretty great shape overall under his watch.

And I believe him as much as I believe that the Bills only made ten million last year. :lol:

Furthermore, both Russert and Schumer would have put up more of a stink unless they really believed it. They were happy.

Furthermore, both Russert and Schumer would have put up more of a stink unless they really believed it. They were happy.

682903[/snapback]

Those guys were just emissaries for Ralph...I seriously doubt they had much of a clue about what the CBA entailed.

Still, I think Ralph got what he wanted--a seat on the committee. But I also supect Tags would've shaded the truth anyway he could to expedite an agreement so he could fade into the sunset and let the ramifications shake out on sombody else's watch.

Those guys were just emissaries for Ralph...I seriously doubt they had much of a clue about what the CBA entailed.

Still, I think Ralph got what he wanted--a seat on the committee.  But I also supect Tags would've shaded the truth anyway he could to expedite an agreement so he could fade into the sunset and let the ramifications shake out on sombody else's watch.

682915[/snapback]

There really is very little reason IMO for the NFL to not want the Bills to stay in Buffalo. The Buffalo Bills and their fan base is great for the NFL the way Green Bay is great. It's impossible to know but I doubt that the NFL contracts with the networks would have been one penny more had there been a team in LA and not one in Buffalo. The thinking that the NFL wants to force or drive or even persuade the Bills to move has no basis, IMO. I think Tagliabue geunuinely thinks Buffalo is terrific for the NFL and wants the team to stay here, and he's right. There is absolutely zero that he has ever said or done to make me think otherwise.

I also think that Schumer and Russert, both being lawyers and both having very large interest in the Bills staying in Buffalo know an awful lot about the CBA. I would bet anything that Russert can talk all day long about that stuff and know what he is talking about. It's something that interests him and is very dear to his heart.

There really is very little reason IMO for the NFL to not want the Bills to stay in Buffalo. The Buffalo Bills and their fan base is great for the NFL the way Green Bay is great. It's impossible to know but I doubt that the NFL contracts with the networks would have been one penny more had there been a team in LA and not one in Buffalo.

682929[/snapback]

The NFL exists to sell beer and cars. Bigger market for each in LA.

I also think that Schumer and Russert, both being lawyers and both having very large interest in the Bills staying in Buffalo know an awful lot about the CBA. I would bet anything that Russert can talk all day long about that stuff and know what he is talking about. It's something that interests him and is very dear to his heart.

682929[/snapback]

With all do respect, half the owners in the league probably don't understand the CBA. A TV commentator and a U.S. senator, no matter how smart they are, are not going to get to know the ins-and-outs of a labor agreement that complex with just a few days of preperation--even if they could somehow get their hands on this highly confidential agreement.

With all do respect, half the owners in the league probably don't understand the CBA.  A TV commentator and a U.S. senator, no matter how smart they are, are not going to get to know the ins-and-outs of a labor agreement that complex with just a few days of preperation--even if they could somehow get their hands on this highly confidential agreement.

683032[/snapback]

And I don't believe they did. I seem to recall reading Russert was disappointed by that. Overall, though, the outlook was positive after that meeting, mostly because of this:

Wilson spoke with Schumer, New York's senior Democratic senator, after the meeting and said he was told that the rules to qualify for more revenue sharing would be based on individual markets' economic situations and not league averages.

He said Schumer was also given assurances by Tagliabue that the portion of future revenue from digital media slated to go to high-revenue teams would in fact be used to help fund the new revenue pool for low-revenue teams. The NFL recently signed a five-year, $600 million deal with Sprint.

Based on what Jeff Littman said prior to the Schumer/Russert/Tagliabue meeting, those are significant changes from the original agreement. And remember, Littman -- who will be Wilson's representative on the revenue-sharing committee -- DID see the document.

Props to Leo Roth; he seems to consistently have the best information on this subject.