Marv v. Tom

I was as shocked and baffled as anyone when Donte Whitner's name was called out on Sunday. But, after further review, you have to admire Marv's approach compared to Tom's. While Donahoe was always going for the big splash, making moves that he knew would have his buddies Mel and Mort fawning all over him like Vito on that biker dude, Levy made picks that, if he cared to think about it, he knew would draw criticism from the so-called draftniks.

While Donahoe's picks were driven by his ego and his neverending Chuck Schumer like need for attention, Levy's picks were made solely for one reason: to improve his football team. Were they good picks? Who knows at this point, but Levy's heart was in the right place when he made them. I believe Levy will, in time, bring success back to Buffalo, as he clearly has his plan in place and will not veer off course for the big money and fabulous prizes, the way Donahoe did with Bledsoe and Milloy, when they became available.

And, for anyone bemoaning the fact that Mel gave us a C for the draft, remember, he gave the 01 draft an A, as we had can't miss prospects such as Fat Mike and Stonehand Josh in the first two rounds. One guy was too fat, the other was too slow. Throughout free agency and this draft, there is no question we became much faster and more athletic. I think when you add Whitner, Youboty, Simpson, Price, and Andre Davis, all 4.4 40 guys–or better– to a team that already has some physical specimens in McGahee, Evans and Mcgee, you have the pieces in place of a young athletic team that will be on the upswing. These are guys who should grow together and eventually win together. This is in stark contrast to Donahoe's feel good instant gratification kind of moves that made headines, when he signed fading stars and made flashy picks. Throughout Donahoe's tenure, he never put together a 'team' in the full sense of the word. Rather, it was a bunch of pieces that never could make a puzzle.

Overall, I feel a lot better with Marv pulling the strings than Commander Tom.

Roscoe Parrish and Kevin Everett were big splash picks? Most people were saying "Who?" They weren't name players, they weren't rising up the charts, they weren't huge stat guys. They weren't popular or populist. The only time he ever did that was McGahee, and most people think that's one of his better picks. Most draftniks criticized the Losman choice if I recall for trading up for someone who was consider raw but talented at an extreme need position. Sounds like McCargo. Mike Williams was not a flashy pick. Josh Reed? Aaron Schobel? Ryan Denney? Lee Evans was not a flashy pick, in fact he wasn't rated as high as other flashier choices. TD deserves criticism for some crappy drafts and misfires, and for choosing skill positions too much, but the vast majority of his picks were not flashy.

Roscoe Parrish and Kevin Everett were big splash picks? Most people were saying "Who?" They weren't name players, they weren't rising up the charts, they weren't huge stat guys. They weren't popular or populist. The only time he ever did that was McGahee, and most people think that's one of his better picks. Most draftniks criticized the Losman choice if I recall for trading up for someone who was consider raw but talented at an extreme need position. Sounds like McCargo. Mike Williams was not a flashy pick. Josh Reed? Aaron Schobel? Ryan Denney? Lee Evans was not a flashy pick, in fact he wasn't rated as high as other flashier choices. TD deserves criticism for some crappy drafts and misfires, and for choosing skill positions too much, but the vast majority of his picks were not flashy.

681052[/snapback]

Fair enough, maybe flashy wasn't the right word for his picks, but it was for his moves in free agency. It just seemed like Donahoe's picks were motivated by his desire to prove he was smarter than everyone else. By reaching to pick Losman, he seemed to be rolling the dice so that way if Losman panned out, everyone would be praising Commander Tom and his intuitive foresight. Ditto Roscoe Parish when the last thing we needed was a squirt pass receiver. No matter what, he'd always have to make a headline on draft day and throughout the offseasons, one way or the other.

While Donahoe's picks were driven by his ego and his neverending Chuck Schumer like need for attention, Levy's picks were made solely for one reason: to improve his football team.

681029[/snapback]

I think both Tom and Marv are good GMs. GMs job is not making the splash but improving his football team.

Tom picked McGahee because he was a Top-5 talent. You don't let go of such a talent. McGahee has done nothing to disprove that. Tom picked Lee Evans to improve us at the WR position and Lee did not disappoint...He had 8-10 TDs in his rookie season.

Tom picked Schoebel, Clements in his first draft that those guys improved this football team.

Tom traded his 1st pick for Drew Bledsoe....DB immediately improved this team and was responsible for a 5-3 start that generated optimism and gave Price a 36M dollar contract.

Giving grades on team draft picks is a joke!

Nobody gives two sh*ts about their "grades" anyway. If they had any sense, they would get ESPN to have a big pre-draft show in 2007 and compare the premature post draft day picks with the actual year end performance.

I don't think Mel Kiper etc. would agree to that, but it would be far more interesting and better than watching bowling. :P

I'm not going to trash Tom Donahoe. I think he worked very hard to try and improve this team. Losman still may pan out to be a star, who knows? The Packers and the Rams were poised to take him, but TD made the move.

Marv is as smart a guy as you'll find in the NFL. I have faith that his offseason maneuvers have substantially improved this football team. And you know he's not done yet.

I have no idea who any of these players that we drafted are and have even less of a a clue as to how they will pan out, but I bet dollars to doughnuts that if this were some other schlub making the picks other than the beloved marv levy, he would be run out of town on the next stink wagon. it is not fair to make these comparisons because we all have rose colored glasses on when it comes to marv

I was as shocked and baffled as anyone when Donte Whitner's name was called out on Sunday. But, after further review, you have to admire Marv's approach compared to Tom's. While Donahoe was always going for the big splash, making moves that he knew would have his buddies Mel and Mort fawning all over him like Vito on that biker dude, Levy made picks that, if he cared to think about it, he knew would draw criticism from the so-called draftniks.

While Donahoe's picks were driven by his ego and his neverending Chuck Schumer like need for attention, Levy's picks were made solely for one reason: to improve his football team. Were they good picks? Who knows at this point, but Levy's heart was in the right place when he made them. I believe Levy will, in time, bring success back to Buffalo, as he clearly has his plan in place and will not veer off course for the big money and fabulous prizes, the way Donahoe did with Bledsoe and Milloy, when they became available.

And, for anyone bemoaning the fact that Mel gave us a C for the draft, remember, he gave the 01 draft an A, as we had can't miss prospects such as Fat Mike and Stonehand Josh in the first two rounds. One guy was too fat, the other was too slow. Throughout free agency and this draft, there is no question we became much faster and more athletic. I think when you add Whitner, Youboty, Simpson, Price, and Andre Davis, all 4.4 40 guys–or better– to a team that already has some physical specimens in McGahee, Evans and Mcgee, you have the pieces in place of a young athletic team that will be on the upswing. These are guys who should grow together and eventually win together. This is in stark contrast to Donahoe's feel good instant gratification kind of moves that made headines, when he signed fading stars and made flashy picks. Throughout Donahoe's tenure, he never put together a 'team' in the full sense of the word. Rather, it was a bunch of pieces that never could make a puzzle.

Overall, I feel a lot better with Marv pulling the strings than Commander Tom.

681029[/snapback]

It's easy in hindsight to blast TD but the Mike Williams pick was considered safe and Josh Reed had even more "value" than the DBs Marv got this year. As is often said, it's a crapshoot at some level. Having said that, I do think you can assess GMs on strategy but not actual picks. Here is where I fault TD. He pointed this team to last year (all the older vets and acquisiton - Adams, Milloy, Vincent, Moulds, etc.) for their run and then he hands over the team to a rookie QB (who never played a big game in college - by definition, he went to Tulane). That was an absurd, high risk strategy and it unfortunately blew up in his face.

What Marv is doing does makes some sense - let's get the best players for the new system and hope they meet expectations. I would have preferred some quality linemen but I'm no expert either. If the DBs were the best longterm picks, then I can at least appreciate the logic. And we can still hope for a couple of linemen cut in June since teams might have drafted someone to fill in. Let's hope.

I have no idea who any of these players that we drafted are and have even less of a a clue as to how they will pan out, but I bet dollars to doughnuts that if this were some other schlub making the picks other than the beloved marv levy, he would be run out of town on the next stink wagon. it is not fair to make these comparisons because we all have rose colored glasses on when it comes to marv

681207[/snapback]

As you stated, you have no idea how these picks will pan out. So, whether it is fair to invest all this faith in Marv is also yet to be determined. If these are good picks and the Bills improve, the faith will be well placed.

681207[/snapback]

not so. Every new man gets the benefit of the doubt their fist year. For in the draft we have all seen here and elsewhere, alleged stars crash and supposed nobody's rise to the top. We'll see in this case also.

What Marv is doing does makes some sense - let's get the best players for the new system and hope they meet expectations.  I would have preferred some quality linemen but I'm no expert either.  If the DBs were the best longterm picks, then I can at least appreciate the logic.  And we can still hope for a couple of linemen cut in June since teams might have drafted someone to fill in.  Let's hope.

681214[/snapback]

Well said.

Every club acts in what they consider to be their best interests. The players and positions they target in the draft are all different - so it's very easy to look at a team from afar and proclaim this or that pick was a "reach".

Everybody's so-called "value chart" is different. Yesterday, I mentioned the B'gals draft.

Looking at this or that player in the pool of draftable talent, they certainly reached. But for them, facing several contract expirations in key positions after the '06 season, they drafted to provide some insurance, if you will, if those key players up and leave. With that in mind, they drafted accordingly.

The Bills seem to have addressed two areas where they needed an upgrade and a starter. Any club who gets two starters out of the draft has done well for themselves.

I've no doubt they coveted some OL's. But you can't have everything, so they set priorities and seemingly addressed them.