Some Random Thoughts

I've been reading an awful regarding all the expert opinions, facts, quotes, and have been thinking a lot about it. Here are some thoughts I have. Normally I don't post long messages, so I apologize beforehand.

1. One of the greatest things I believe Levy did was not sabotage next year's draft. The Bills will probably not be great (7-9 range at best) and therefore will have a high draft pick. In moving up for our second 1st round pick to select McCargo, Levy didn't trade away any of next year's picks. He basically only lost the 3rd which we gained for Travis Henry. I remember Losman costing us a high 1st the following year, plus a 2nd and 5th... this time it only cost us a 2nd and 3rd. Nice job Marv!

2. I've noticed that each player we drafted are extremely young and very versatile. Many of our draft picks can play more than one position. This is by design no doubt. All of our players have impecable character. I can sleep well knowing that we have great, young and versatile talent with fantastic character.

3. A part of me is very glad we passed on Bunkley. He was a one year wonder... could that have been a fluke year? He also was playing with a fantastic defensive end at Florida State, right? Wouldn't it have been terrible to draft a person who performed well at the combine, very strong, but not that good... just one solid year? Whitner is a good player. He is NOT a one year wonder. I've followed him for a while being a Buckeye fan.

4. How great is it to have a chip on your shoulder. I believe most of our picks in fact do. Whitner has a chip on his shoulder because NOBODY believes he should have been drafted that high. He will strive to prove everybody wrong. McCargo has a chip on his shoulder because people think he was a stretch for the 1st round. Also Youboty and Simpson have a chip on their shoulders for everyone passing them up so many times. They are going to want to prove something!

I am excited about this draft. Not what I expected by a long shot. But I think that it has a good chance to be much better than I expected. Go Bills!!

I'd say after the GW years and failure to progress that there would be some unhappy pros at Buffalo. We sign Mularkey and Hurray, all that will change and we're 9-7. However, by week 8 the next yeat, the Offensive co-ordinator is effectively neutered, Moulds is pissed, there's a 2 headed QB, Magahee runs out of interest from sitting on 3rd's and Adams is riding the pine. We regress to 5-11. Heck, at the end of the year the Coach QUITS and the GM jumps. Leaders like Malloy are injured and playing through and the O-line has got no idea what's going on. Is see some positives from this draft. Yeah, a lot of folk are critical of the values placed on some of the prospects, but i tend to agree. I'd tend to beleive these guys are here to show that they belong, no matter there draft value. Unlike Big Mike, whom seemed happy to be hanging out in the millionaires club rather than aiming for the HoF, or at least peer respect. I also like the Fletcher/ Whiten raport and the old collegiate connections. This should see better team chemistry, something sadly lacking. Maybe then, some pressure off of Losman to be the "Bills" personality will allow him to play better as well. Despite what the "experts" have predicted, i've only read good things from the players, things it's been awhile for a Bill to speak it seems.

3.  A part of me is very glad we passed on Bunkley.  He was a one year wonder... could that have been a fluke year?  He also was playing with a fantastic defensive end at Florida State, right?  Wouldn't it have been terrible to draft a person who performed well at the combine, very strong, but not that good... just one solid year?  Whitner is a good player.  He is NOT a one year wonder.  I've followed him for a while being a Buckeye fan.

680921[/snapback]

Good post BB. I'd note that McCargo played between DE's Williams and Lawson, so one can speculate that they made him look better, too.

I also liked the draft, and hopefully, 2 starters on D will result. Would have liked them to have used a higher pick for toe OL. But - theoretically - the FA acquisitions are an improvement, and I'm of the mind that playcalling choices can help out some OL problems. You're calling the shots, unlike defense where you're mostly reacting. Not that defensive formations and personnel can't make an opposing offense do a dance. :lol:

All of our players have impecable character. I can sleep well knowing that we have great, young and versatile talent with fantastic character.

Sorry Buckeye Bill but OT Brad Butler isn't someone I consider high-class.  Please watch this video and tell me again he has character.

680961[/snapback]

Wow, that was one of the more blatant irresponsible cheap shots you will see. At least the other guy was ok and ended up being a first round pick. That kind of hit could end seasons. Oh well, while you hate to see that, I'd rather see that than Mike Williams eating klondike bars and blocking air all the time. I always thought there was a little Vito Spatafore in Williams, and that was a main reason for his problems.

The fact is, the best O-linemen are the mean ones, the ones that wear down the D-Line by blocking them until the final whistle–and after–whether or not there back is turned. There are O-linemen with limited ability who have built successful careers on their bad tempers. (Jon Runyan). While I am by no means condoning that kind of cheap shot, the fact remains that after hearing about this guy and and seeing that hit, I cannot help but think this guy has the temperment to play in the NFL.

All of our players have impecable character. I can sleep well knowing that we have great, young and versatile talent with fantastic character.

Sorry Buckeye Bill but OT Brad Butler isn't someone I consider high-class.  Please watch this video and tell me again he has character.

680961[/snapback]

I watched this twice. The first time, I thought that the DE grabbed Butler in the crotch - causing him to get pissed. If you look at Butler, he's a little bent over. Hard to tell. If he was defending his family honor, I'll allow it. Otherwise, I agree that it was a cheap shot.

I tried to look back at 2005 to see how many sacks, if any, Kiwi got on Butler in that game.  However it said Kiwi did not play.  Was that game from 2004?

681002[/snapback]

No - it was last year's Virginia/BC game. Caused a bit of an uproar down here in ACC country.

I watched this twice. The first time, I thought that the DE grabbed Butler in the crotch - causing him to get pissed. If you look at Butler, he's a little bent over. Hard to tell. If he was defending his family honor, I'll allow it. Otherwise, I agree that it was a cheap shot.

681006[/snapback]

No. The DE in question was already playing with a sprained knee. Butler went after that knee when the whistle blew. No grabbing of the junk took place.

681006[/snapback]

If Kiwi is going after the family jewels during a play or right after the play then he is defending his honor. However, as this act occurs when and how it does it strikes me more as retaliation than defending oneself.

This makes a difference to me in terms of what semantics we use to descibe the event.

Both self-defense and retaliation can be justified, but it seems to me easier to justify outrageous action (which I think Butler's hit was) if it is done in self-defense (its the heat of the moment and an iminent threat so demanding that a Butler effectively moderate his response is hoped for but not fully demanded). However, the play was over and even though mere moments had passed this strikes me as retaliation.

Even the slight removal in time and the lack of imenency of the threat ratchets up the requirement on Butler that he moderate his behavior and he did not do that.

Perhaps, there was some attack on him and his family jewels which does demand some response. However, the play ending an even a small amount of time occuring so there is no iminent threat to his family jewels means that Butler's act was a cheap shot which is difficult to justify.

I can see why he was suspended by UVA because there was no real punishment leveled on him like a deserved expulsion from the game and even worse a teammate of Kiwi who did come to his defense after the cheap shot was in fact expelled.

If one attempts to justify Butler's hit on Kiwi after the fact, then Kiwi;s teammate's attempts to get in the face of Butler which he was expelled for are probably justifiable as well, and you need not go far down this road of activity and reaction until it devolves into going to a fight and hoping a football game breaks out.

No - it was last year's Virginia/BC game. Caused a bit of an uproar down here in ACC country.

That's what I figured, but the BC site said that Kiwi didn't play in that game, and you'd think they'd know. :P

Any stats on Kiwi for that day, seeing as how Butler was playing LT that day and Kiwi was one of the premier DE's in the nation?

Any stats on Kiwi for that day, seeing as how Butler was playing LT that day and Kiwi was one of the premier DE's in the nation?

681223[/snapback]

Thats what I am wondering. Hey it was a cheap shot but I would rather have a tackle full of piss and vinegar then Mike Williams picking pansies and scoffing down crispy cremes. I like the Butler pick