Tampa 2 Defense...

Tampa 2 Defense

The Tampa 2 is an American football defensive strategy popularized by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers National Football League (NFL) team in the 1990s-early 2000s. It was designed by then-head coach Tony Dungy, defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, and then-linebackers coach Lovie Smith.

After Dungy became head coach of the Indianapolis Colts and Smith became head coach to the Chicago Bears, they installed the Tampa 2 in their respective teams. During the 2005 NFL season, The Buccaneers, still under defensive coordinator Kiffin, ranked first in the league in total yards allowed, Smith's Bears ranked number two, and Dungy's Colts ranked eleventh.

The Tampa 2 typically consists of 4 linemen, 3 linebackers, 2 cornerbacks, and 2 safeties. The scheme is known for its simple format, speed, and the aggressive mentality of its players. Although it lacks the complexity of other defenses, it instead relies heavily on the attitudes of its players and tremendous team speed. Tampa 2 teams are known as gang tacklers and practice to always run to the ball.

Pass Defense

The Tampa 2 is a variation of the Cover 2 formation in which all pass responsibilities are zone coverage (instead of Man-to-man). Zone coverage is where players are assigned an area on the field which they are to cover:

The safeties and middle linebacker cover the deep half: areas of the field usually extending from about 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the endzone, divided into thirds by the middle of the field). The middle linebacker drops into deep coverage, making what first looks like a Cover 2 into a Cover 3.

The cornerbacks cover the flats: the area of the field extending about 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, and from the last man on the offensive line to the sideline. Outside linebackers cover the box: the two outside linebackers split the middle of the field consisting of the area within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage and in between the two flats into halves.

Run defense

To defend running plays, the Tampa 2 is a single gap defense where each player is responsible to defend his own gap. The assigned gap changes with game conditions and personnel.

Typically this style of defense utilizes smaller but faster linemen and linebackers with above average speed. Also the defensive backs must be above average hitters as well.

great info,

the only problem i see in this new D, is that Fletcher can not cover anyone. so one of our best defensive players is not doing what he does best most of the time, in fact he would be doing what he does worst most of the time.

great info,

the only problem i see in this new D, is that Fletcher can not cover anyone. so one of our best defensive players is not doing what he does best most of the time, in fact he would be doing what he does worst most of the time.

679835[/snapback]

Rome wasn't built in a day. I think a lot of us would like to see some new linebacker talent brought in. Love Fletch, but he's getting up there and that's seriously going to have to get addressed in 2007.

That is a great description and describes one of the problems I have with Draft Player Ratings and Mock Draft. Football is very much a system game. A player may be highly successful in one system (for example, the West Coast Offense) and be a failure at another. Geography and Stadium type (dome versus grass), cold weather versus firm fields in warm weather make a difference in determining the success of players.

The Mock Drafts pretty much attempt to rate players based on workouts and reputations and then assigns the players in something close to numerical order of perceived talent. While the drafts often consider positional needs, they rarely address team system needs. It is easy to see why a player who may be #8 in one system might be #22 in another.

Fans who are fed all this information by all the "experts" and all the magazines fall into shock when the real draft diverges widely from the Mock Drafts. They judge the draft on how well the players chosen by their team differ from the numerical order ordained by the experts without any consideration of the teams system.

What this draft seemed to indicate is that the Bills identified what players they wanted, went out and drafted them and just didn't give a flying fudge what the draft gurus order looked like. We will see.

That is a great description and describes one of the problems I have with Draft Player Ratings and Mock Draft.  Football is very much a system game.  A player may be highly successful in one system (for example, the West Coast Offense) and be a failure at another.  Geography and Stadium type (dome versus grass), cold weather versus firm fields in warm weather make a difference in determining the success of players.

The Mock Drafts pretty much attempt to rate players based on workouts and reputations and then assigns the players in something close to numerical order of perceived talent.  While the drafts often consider positional needs, they rarely address team system needs.  It is easy to see why a player who may be #8 in one system might be #22 in another. 

Fans who are fed all this information by all the "experts" and all the magazines fall into shock when the real draft diverges widely from the Mock Drafts.  They judge the draft on how well the players chosen by their team differ from the numerical order ordained by the experts without any consideration of the teams system. 

What this draft seemed to indicate is that the Bills identified what players they wanted, went out and drafted them and just didn't give a flying fudge what the draft gurus order looked like.  We will see.

679844[/snapback]

I still shake my head in wonder at all the Leinart posts. Not to mention adding to the QB turmoil that's already there. I know opinions are opinions, but damn, people? Do some of you ever watch any games?

Guest BackInDaDay
Good post.  Our personal fits that scheme perfect

679834[/snapback]

We need a pass-rush off the other edge and, as I've been posting since Jauron mad his D plans public, where's our LB to cover that deep middle?

He doesn't have to be a MLB, he can be an OLB, but who is our Quarles / June / Briggs? The kid we just drafted fits the physical profile, but we're gonna lose steps with the rest.

Here's an article on how it's being implemented in TB, Indy and Chicago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2271514

More stuff on the importance of the safeties in the Cover 2 defense

"The main weakness of the Cover 2 shell occurs in the middle of the field between the safeties. The safeties attempt to gain width upon the snap of the ball to cover any long passes to quick wide receivers down the sideline. This movement creates a natural hole between the safeties that can be attacked.

By sending a receiver (usually a tight end) into the hole, the offense forces the safety to make a decision: play the vulnerable hole in the middle of the field or help out on the wide receiver. The quarterback reads the safety's decision and decides on the best matchup (which mismatch is better--TE vs S or WR vs CB)."

great info,

679835[/snapback]

Not that I think Fletcher is a great coverage LB, but from what I"ve seen most of his problems come when they have him in Man coverage against WR's and the faster TE's. I don't recall seeing him blow zone coverages too often. Though that just means I don't remember screaming at the TV about it on gameday. Has he been bad in zone coverage?

The point about Fletcher is well taken, but there is nothing wrong with rotating linebackers. On obvious passing situations you can rotate in a faster MLB with better coverage skills, and in situations where the play isn't obvious pass and he is out there, he can do a good enough job against most tight ends. If not, put one of the other backers, like Spikes who is faster and better in coverage, on him or drop one of the safeties from the strong side. The coaches can figure this one out, but there are options. That's what training camp and preseason are for.

We need a pass-rush off the other edge and, as I've been posting since Jauron mad his D plans public,  where's our LB to cover that deep middle? 

He doesn't have to be a MLB, he can be an OLB, but who is our Quarles / June / Briggs?  The kid we just drafted fits the physical profile, but we're gonna lose steps with the rest.

Here's an article on how it's being implemented in TB, Indy and Chicago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2271514

679867[/snapback]

Seems as though Crowell would fit that role perfectly. He's fast, has great range , and has a knack for coverage already (based on his play last year).

If OC's weren't idiots, they would stop figuring how to pass against the cover 2 and just have the line drive block and pile up the ground yards, eat up the clock, and watch the opposing defenders drop and wilt like autumn leaves.

679940[/snapback]

Three yards and a face full of shreded tire chips, huh? :)

Guest BackInDaDay
his problems come when they have him in Man coverage against WR's and the faster TE's. 

679909[/snapback]

The seam route, which is run between the deep middle and outside zones, is covered by whoever takes the middle when the safety's in coverage to the sideline. That'll keep all our 245lb LBs on their toes on 1st and 2nd down.

Guest BackInDaDay
Seems as though Crowell would fit that role perfectly. He's fast, has great range , and has a knack for coverage already (based on his play last year).

679922[/snapback]

Don't think he's fast enough, but here's hoping I'm wrong.

Guest BackInDaDay
If OC's weren't idiots, they would stop figuring how to pass against the cover 2 and just have the line drive block and pile up the ground yards, eat up the clock, and watch the opposing defenders drop and wilt like autumn leaves.

679940[/snapback]

There's truth to this, but getting disruption in the backfield by penetrating DTs is suppose to get the quicker LBs to the point of attack before the ball gets rolling.

The idea is to keep everything in front of you, but with an aggressive attitude. :)

There's truth to this, but getting disruption in the backfield by penetrating DTs is suppose to get the quicker LBs to the point of attack before the ball gets rolling. 

The idea is to keep everything in front of you, but with an aggressive attitude.  :)

679967[/snapback]

Ahhh...the Garbage Plate Defense...