Running Bills Draft Grade

Marv and Modrak are friggin' idiots. Two reaches in the first round? They trade up to get a guy that easily would have been there when they drafted in round 2. They now officially have a grade of F.

675466[/snapback]

I really hate days like this when guys with no posts show up to talk bull sh--. McCargo was a rising player in this draft and is a solid pick at a need position. I might have preferred offensive line, but it's flat wrong to say he would have been there when the Bills drafted in the 2nd round.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have preferred offensive line,

And there-in lies the problem.

Everyone is harping on how bad our defense was last year. Well, it was damn good before last year, and we're getting TKO back. The OL has been a need for years, and will once again not be addressed.

CW

I'm also revising my grade on Whitner to a D+. Good prospect, bad value.

As for McCargo...good value, good trade, good player. I like it, but I wonder what they're going to do on the OL now (probably not much). B+.

Overall, they're up to a C+.

Everyone is harping on how bad our defense was last year.  Well, it was damn good before last year, and we're getting TKO back.  The OL has been a need for years, and will once again not be addressed.

CW

675562[/snapback]

So Fowler and Reyes aren't signed? We haven't lost three starting DTs the last two off seasons?

So Fowler and Reyes aren't signed?  We haven't lost three starting DTs the last two off seasons?

675928[/snapback]

That's a pretty lame comeback for you, Darin. Using that logic, we didn't need McCargo either because we have 6 DTs on teh roster. I expected better.... :o

But no, overall I'm not impressed with Fowler or Reyes. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

CW

Note also that McCargo likely will not start but rather rotate with Tripplett at the 3-tech/undertackle position. We still need to find ourselves a more stout 1-tech/overtackle/nose type DT from this draft. Because McCargo does address the lines, and because we're not screwing up with a top 10 pick, this second round grade is a bit higher than the first round grade.

I was thinking about this, I don't think that Tripplett will be at the 3, but rather on the nose, last year in Indy he was the nose when corey Simon was the 3. But I agree with geting another stout DT, Lewis, Williams, Dvoracek, Stantley, Mahelona or maybe Oshinowo on the 2nd day.

Projected starting DL line up now

schobel-McCargo-Tripplett-Kelsey

That's a pretty lame comeback for you, Darin.  Using that logic, we didn't need McCargo either because we have 6 DTs on teh roster.  I expected better.... :o

But no, overall I'm not impressed with Fowler or Reyes.  Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

CW

676204[/snapback]

Fowler might be okay, but I think Reyes will be strong for us.

The draft's not over, and I have the feeling there might be some good Offensive Lineman available in the 3rd round.

Winston and Scott still aren't gone, and neither are Jean-Gilles or Mutua.

If we pick up one of those guys, it'll be a step in the right direction.

Note also that McCargo likely will not start but rather rotate with Tripplett at the 3-tech/undertackle position.  We still need to find ourselves a more stout 1-tech/overtackle/nose type DT from this draft.  Because McCargo does address the lines, and because we're not screwing up with a top 10 pick, this second round grade is a bit higher than the first round grade.

I was thinking about this, I don't think that Tripplett will be at the 3, but rather on the nose, last year in Indy he was the nose when corey Simon was the 3.  But I agree with geting another stout DT, Lewis, Williams, Dvoracek, Stantley, Mahelona or maybe Oshinowo on the 2nd day. 

Projected starting  DL line up now

schobel-McCargo-Tripplett-Kelsey

676238[/snapback]

That's what the lineup will be on passing situations but you need to listen to the press conference on bb.com. Jauron stated that Anderson, Jefferson, and Brown is our 1-tech depth chart right now.

Current Pick:  Ko Simpson

Grade: B

Well, it's quite obvious that the Bills are unhappy with how Vincent and Bowen/Wire project long-term to being Cover 2 safeties (as they should be).  Simpson is just a good value pick, period, even though this isn't an immediate need for the Bills.  Very good upside and ball skills, but as with Youboty, his impact will probably be a couple of seasons down the line after he gets used to zone concepts.

1. Donte Whitner = D

1. John McCargo = C-

3. Ashton Youboty = B-

4. Ko Simpson = B

5. ? = ?

5. ? = ?

6. ? = ?

7. ? = ?

7. ? = ?

Current Pick: B

Overall Grade: C-

---------------------------------

PREVIOUS PICKS

---------------------------------

---DONTE WHITNER:

Surprise! The Bills must've watched the playoffs and saw how Troy Polamalu could affect a game and decided to get one of their own.  I have nothing personal against Donte Whitner.  In fact, I like him as a player A LOT.  Here's a link to a post I made TWO WEEKS AGO praising a mock draft in which the Bills trade down and select Whitner at #17 overall: http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...5195&hl=Whitner .  The key there, though, is TRADE DOWN for value.  Remember, Ed Reed was picked #24 overall while Polamalu was picked at #16 overall, and now Whitner has gone #8 overall.  Look, Whitner is going to become a very good safety if healthy but he needs to become an All-Pro like Polamalu to justify this pick at #8 overall with no trade downs.  With Philly and Denver both trying to trade up, we should've went ahead and accepted even a third rounder to trade down and still pick up Whitner for less salary; also, not that he has a great history of being right, but John Clayton reports that we could've gotten an extra second-rounder out of the trade from one of these teams...I would've loved to have picked up an extra second in a deep draft.  Furthermore, Whitner had a knee injury his sophomore year that required a scope and kept him out of a couple of games.  If you want to draft a slightly undersized safety in the top 10, I would want him to have a 100% perfect bill of health.  After initially grading this pick an F, I've decided that it's too harsh a grade; an "F" should mean bad positioning AND player.  Whitner is a very good player (but again, needs to become an All-Pro) that anyone who watched OSU saw was all over the field making plays, BUT the Bills didn't leverage the value of their draft position.  Still, the huge positive out of this pick is that we should never have to see Matt Bowen or Coy Wire as a starting safety in our lineup.  Whitner is also allegedly a great leader and hard-working person with much character, something that we need in the locker room and can't be assessed by just watching games.

---JOHN MCCARGO:

McCargo has pretty good upside and fits the Cover 2 well with his quickness.  This wasn't a reach; I think the first round is where most teams that use small defenses have him slotted.  I have nothing against John McCargo but again, I have a problem with the strategy we used on this pick. I hate that we traded away a third rounder in a deep draft to move up and get him.  If it were up to me, I would've kept that pick and let the draft come to me at #42 overall; if McCargo didn't fall to 42, take offensive line help instead and then use both third rounders on the defensive line.  There are other good DTs out there that fit our defense.  I like Jonathan Lewis a lot... Jesse Mahelona... we didn't NEED McCargo enough right then and there to trade up for him when you balance that choice against our MULTIPLE roster holes and a deep draft.  When a draft is deep and you have multiple holes, you want to preserve and gain as many picks as possible, and I think the Bills did a poor job with that with both the Whitner and McCargo picks.  Furthermore, as with Whitner, McCargo does not have a clean bill of health and it remains to be seen if he can be durable in the NFL at his position.  Note also that McCargo likely will not start but rather rotate with Tripplett at the 3-tech/undertackle position.  We still need to find ourselves a more stout 1-tech/overtackle/nose type DT from this draft.  Because McCargo does address the lines, and because we're not screwing up with a top 10 pick, this second round grade is a bit higher than the first round grade.

---ASHTON YOUBOTY

This pick was pretty good value because of Youboty's upside.  He has the good size/speed/athleticism that people look for in a CB and is a good hitter but at the same time, let's not overrate this kid.  He's boom or bust--good upside, but he could become a complete flop as well (unlike Whitner, who will at least be good).  He really isn't a first round value based on game play and it'll probably be awhile before he can be trusted to make good reads in a cover 2 zone scheme.  OSU fans can attest that he had a much better sophomore year than junior year, and actually, some teams in '05 (i.e. Minnesota) specifically picked on him all game long for big plays.  He's a project, which is fine because he comes from a good lineage (OSU DBs), and because we have time to develop him behind Clements, McGee, and King.  I don't like ignoring the offensive line the first day, though.  Cornerback is the deepest position in this draft and we could've gotten a good prospect in the second day especially since it's not a pressing concern for us like the lines are.  That needs to be taken into account when you grade this pick.

674625[/snapback]

The only thing that I have a hard time understanding is the offensive line situation. Will we address this during the draft in any of our rounds? Hopefully a gem at LT will be there for us at the start of round 5.

There is a lot of Guards-Tackles still on the board, and a couple DE's.

These might last until our RD5 picks:

Rob Sims RG good drive blocker

Boothe, Kevin OT massive, smart, great feet, probably hasn't had great coaching

Joe Toledo is not listed on NFL Draft Boards. Anyone know why?

Everyone is harping on how bad our defense was last year.  Well, it was damn good before last year, and we're getting TKO back.  The OL has been a need for years, and will once again not be addressed.

CW

675562[/snapback]

Oh my God, Captain Optimism finally sees?!?!

:)

Its all about taking the Best Player Available from here on out (and has been since the 3rd round as we saw with our pick of Youbouty).

Any OL person taken is depth at this point rather than a serious candidate to start or even contribute much beyond ST this coming season,

I think folks had it right who said yesterday as we drifted through the second round that it appears the Bills braintrust is set on makin it work with the current roster.

I do not think this is outlandsish as the talent we have starting here probably exceeds what JMac had to work with in NYG when he turned a crew led by former Bills Glenn Parker and Dusty Ziegler into a crew that played a big role in getting them to the SB.

Though i can see us putting together a playable starting crew, I do do have real doubts about our back-up talent. However, FA looks like a better course for finding these back-up contributors rather than expecting them to come from this year's version of Geisinger or McFarland (past late draftees).