The Bills Could Actually Trade Down

Arizona and St. Louis both want quarterbacks.

The Bills, at 8, have Bunkley targeted. With Cutler and possibly one of the other quarterbacks available, the Bills could trade their pick to Arizona at 10 (and a second rounder...maybe), knowing that they'll still get Bunkley for subsequent.

THEN, they tell St. Louis that they will pick the other quarterback, unless the trade up to that one spot AND their 2nd or 3rd round pick.

With a little luck the Bills could pick up 2 additional picks in the 2 and 3 rounds AND they get their player with the 11th pick in the first!

It seems like those 2 teams could call their bluff, pretty well knowing the Bills do not need a QB.

Nice little dream scenario, though...

673215[/snapback]

Not a bluff, though.....

You go ahead and draft whichever quarterback is available and pull a San Diego/Giants swap from 2 years ago....

When they see the player is gone, they'll do what they need to....

Not a bluff, though.....

You go ahead and draft whichever quarterback is available and pull a San Diego/Giants swap from 2 years ago....

When they see the player is gone, they'll do what they need to....

673223[/snapback]

yeah - laugh at the Bills and take defense

Guest BackInDaDay
I can't see Marv being that busy during his Maiden.

673214[/snapback]

I agree. Marv's conservative 'straight-shooting' manner doesn't equate to wheelin' and dealin'. He'll make fair trades and pay fair prices to fill out the roster. We've seen this already. I doubt he'll ever be comfortable in shark's skin. It's an old dogs, new tricks, thing.

I am not sure what you suggest is probable....but I want the Bills to get 5 or 6 players on day 1...so I hope they do trade down at least once in first round of the draft.....

We need players...Donahoe left us dry with his drafts and we need to get 4 or 5 players who will be starters before the end of this season...

I agree.  Marv's conservative 'straight-shooting' manner doesn't equate to wheelin' and dealin'.  He'll make fair trades and pay fair prices to fill out the roster.  We've seen this already.  I doubt he'll ever be comfortable in shark's skin.  It's an old dogs, new tricks, thing.

673316[/snapback]

Marv may be seriously tempted by Cutler, if he see alot of Jim Kelly in him.

They may take Cutler and see if they can trade with all the teams after then that need a QB- including the Jets.

Arizona and St. Louis both want quarterbacks.

The Bills, at 8, have Bunkley targeted. With Cutler and possibly one of the other quarterbacks available, the Bills could trade their pick to Arizona at 10 (and a second rounder...maybe), knowing that they'll still get Bunkley for subsequent.

THEN, they tell St. Louis that they will pick the other quarterback, unless the trade up to that one spot AND their 2nd or 3rd round pick.

With a little luck the Bills could pick up 2 additional picks in the 2 and 3 rounds AND they get their player with the 11th pick in the first!

673205[/snapback]

St Louis wants to draft a QB in the 1st? Whats wrong with Bulger?

It seems like those 2 teams could call their bluff, pretty well knowing the Bills do not need a QB.

By no means is this a given. The Bills have Nall, a QB Green Bay liked so much they drafted Aaron Rogers. They have Holcomb, a QB nobody really wanted when he was a free agent. And they have another player also, who wasn't selected by either the current general manager, the current head coach, or the current offensive coordinator. Rumor has it this quarterback's trade value would be little. If the other GMs of the league think little of this player, why should the Bills' GM--who also didn't pick him--see the situation differently? Given the uncertainty about how committed Marv is or isn't to any of the quarterbacks on the roster, it's credible the Bills could take a QB at #8 with more in mind than just trading him away.

St Louis wants to draft a QB in the 1st?  Whats wrong with Bulger?

673346[/snapback]

Bulger is hurt ALL the time (has never played a full season in his career and only played in 8 games last year). Plus Bulger has struggled with being inconsistent, even when he is playing.

Yhe Bills already have a lot of work to do manging their current draft board with a lot of picks to make (thankfully and in contrast to last year). It already seems to most folks it is a stretch (though a possible one) that first time GM Marv will complicate this situation by inserting in a significant trade (a swap with the Rams for an extra 2nd seems more likely). However, even though this is possible I do not think anyone considers it likely.

The suggestion is that Marv is actually going to add to this questionable possibiliy by also managing to find a second trade partner.

Add to that life will now be complicated by them managing at least 6 first day choices (if not more from these trade-downs) and even that thought that Marv is going to enter into the high stakes world of draftng a QB only to pull off a trade for him while managing all these picks and the board.

Its theoretically possible but really heads off into fantasy land pretty quick.

It's really not that complicated to do trades, though. There are even those draft value charts out there to serve as a baseline for trades.

I can see Marv not making trades because he's old, conservative, and scared to pass on some player, but the actual feat of assessing trade value shouldn't be difficult for a bright man like him.

To paraphrase someone else who posted earlier this week, "Let's trade down ALL of our picks and get all 32 7th round picks!" Hell, with a draft this deep we'd have 32 new players that are at least as talented as Kelly Holcomb.