Possible Trade Partner

But if we trade down and both of them are off the board and Marv is forced to select a guy like Jimmy Williams or Ernie Sims...The Wall will explode and call for Marv's head.

671813[/snapback]

Now that is the danger and something that will happen. I don't understand this "trade down" frenzy. I hope Marv doesn't do it. Take Huff!!! Ferguson will be long gone by the time we pick.

:huh:  B-)  :huh:  :huh:  :P

671986[/snapback]

he's actually right. on draft day, it does go out the window to a degree. basically, if you think payton manning, bruce smith, reggie bush, etc. is that good, screw the chart - those guys are worth more than 25 third rounders. before draft day, though, the chart matters more when people start moving around in the middle of the first (i.e., denver and sf this year).

But if we trade down and both of them are off the board and Marv is forced to select a guy like Jimmy Williams or Ernie Sims...The Wall will explode and call for Marv's head.

671813[/snapback]

Are you sure? Because Clements is NOT going to sign the tender here.

so he's going to sit on his can and earn nothing this season instead? he'll sign if he wants to play

672023[/snapback]

Yeah I agree, Nate's not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree but he's not that dumb. He'll sign his franchise tender and play a year here if we dont sign him long-term. Not a doubt in my mind.

i'd be only willing to trade down if it meant adding a 2nd round pick and only if it is because we would still get the player the team has targeted......like if we traded down 5 spots and still got justice or bunkley...otherwise i would rather stay put at#8 or even trade up for hawk,mario williams or even d'brick......go bills in"06

So TD gave chart value to Dallas for the rights to draft JP?

So The Chargers got chart value for the trade to the Giants for Manning?

The value chart is used for draft picks not players that are involved. Once you get into players things get complicated, thats why you rarely see players included with picks in draft day deals, because there is no value chart

The Coaches and GM's don't sit there with a value chart for picks, They make deals for what they have in their mind what they feel the draft spot is worth.

they absolutely do sit there with a value chart

it serves as the starting point to every deal, you add up and find what makes the deal even on all sides, then the desperate team may add more to sweeten the deal and get it done. Where do you think trades start from? A team that wants to move up or down looks at what they have to give up or gain in return. I've seen GM after GM talk religiously about the value chart, i dont know what draft you've been following the past 10 years.

Yeah, only top ten picks will imprvoe this line. :blink:

There are alot of good linemen available in the mid to late 1st, and in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Taking one of those guys in the top ten would be reaching for alot of them and not worth it. For dropping to 14 from 8, you can expect more then just one pick coming our way in return making it a good spot to trade to. Sure we don't get one of the talking heads can't miss/best linemen to come into the league in years (well year since the last draft actually) and we may get a very good linemen and a couple extra picks.

671745[/snapback]

I'm with you. If we can trade down and stockpile a couple 2 or 3 late first-2nd rd. picks (plus we currently have a couple high 3rd rounders), we might be able to land a couple players the caliber of Nick Mangold and Deuce Latui. Both, I think would immediately upgrade our OL. I'm all for this trading down jazz. Bunkley and Ngata just don't thrill me too much.

The value chart is used for draft picks not players that are involved. Once you get into players things get complicated, thats why you rarely see players included with picks in draft day deals, because there is no value chart

they absolutely do sit there with a value chart

it serves as the starting point to every deal, you add up and find what makes the deal even on all sides, then the desperate team may add more to sweeten the deal and get it done. Where do you think trades start from? A team that wants to move up or down looks at what they have to give up or gain in return. I've seen GM after GM talk religiously about the value chart, i dont know what draft you've been following the past 10 years.

672769[/snapback]

Jimmy Johnson was on the Hank goldberg show this week talking about his draft philosphy.

He was a firm believer in moving up and down in the draft to match his needs with the value of a player on the board. (He wouldn;t reach for a need, but would move up to grab a player like Emmit Smith if the value was there).

However, he had a very tough time finding trade partners because teams had no objective way to quickly determine if the proposed trade was fair.

Thus, Jimmy develped the draft pick value chart and distributed it to the other teams. Since it was an objective tool, all teams starting using it as a baseline for trading draft picks.

Teams can vary from the formula based on their assessment of talent, demand for the pick in question and other factors.

Jimmy Johnson was on the Hank goldberg show this week talking about his draft philosphy.

He was a firm believer in moving up and down in the draft to match his needs with the value of a player on the board. (He wouldn;t reach for a need, but would move up to grab a player like Emmit Smith if the value was there).

However, he had a very tough time finding trade partners because teams had no objective way to quickly determine if the proposed trade was fair.

Thus, Jimmy develped the draft pick value chart and distributed it to the other teams. Since it was an objective tool, all teams starting using it as a baseline for trading draft picks.

Teams can vary from the formula based on their assessment of talent, demand for the pick in question and other factors.

672974[/snapback]

Jimmy also got the gift of Minnesota's stupidity and had that luxury of tons of picks to play around with. I would love to have seen how they would have done without it.

NE, however, that's smart play with their draft picks. Their front office knows what it's doing. They buy themselves flexibility year-in, year-out.