My yearly draft prediction

todd

Actually, I've never made one before, but this year I start. And it will be a surprise. Kinda. But it makes sense.

Buffalo takes a linebacker in the first three rounds. Maybe round 2 even. Call me crazy, but it will happen.

I agree. I am not sure why people think we are set at LB. Posey's done, Spikes is coming off a serious injury and may never be the same. Fletch while still good, has slowed somewhat, and has never really been the "best" to make it to the probowl. Crowell, okay he's quick, but he can't get off blocks, and is horrible at filling lanes.

So I agree we will take LB early, and possibly 2 in the draft.

I agree as well. Our LBs could hit the wall really quickly, if Spikes can't come back and Fletch shows some age.

I don't think we'll reach for one, but if there is good value (Hawk in the 1st or someone like D'Qwell Jackson in the 2nd), I could see us grabbing one. Certainly the 3rd round would not surprise me.

I love 2nd and 3rd round linebackers. Seems llike you can get some great players in those rounds, particularly when you pick a guy whose measurables are slightly lower than you'd like. I think LB might be the position where speed/size are least important (they're always pretty important of course).

Suppose one guy has a .3 second advantage in the 40, but another guy reads and reacts to plays a half second quicker. You do the math. LB is the position where football instincts - the ability to read and diagnose a play almost unconsciously - matter the most. Instincts = playing speed.

Yes, those are certainly immediate needs, I agree. However, Spikes and Fletch both are FAs after this year, unless I'm mistaken. We're gonna need LBs very soon.

Problem is, what position do you neglect to draft on Day One because you wanted a LB?

OT?  OG?  DT?  SS?

Our O-Line cant survive another year with the Bills not paying attention to it.  I wouldnt draft a LB until, at the earliest, the 4th round.

671476[/snapback]

Yes, those are certainly immediate needs, I agree. However, Spikes and Fletch both are FAs after this year, unless I'm mistaken. We're gonna need LBs very soon.

671480[/snapback]

And don't we have more then 4 picks in the first day? therefore none of those positions are in danger of getting neglected

Hawk in the 1st sure works for me. :D

Or if by some miracle Bobby Carpenter somehow slips to the 3rd & we already have taken a DT and LG, I'm cool with that too.

Otherwise, LBs who can play in this league are a dime-a-dozen, wait till the final cuts... or FA next year if you must, there's sure to be more than a few Brandon Short or Warrick Holdman-types floating around.

And don't we have more then 4 picks in the first day? therefore none of those positions are in danger of getting neglected

671576[/snapback]

Would you say that we took care of our O-Line problems last year by drafting Justin Geisinger in the 6th round? Or Dylan McFarland the year before in the 7th?

That is a huge problem in my mind, the Bills dont seem to pay any attention to the O-Line until the second Day...and I'm sorry, the chances of you lucking out and selecting a future starter is very slim. So I would say there is a great danger of the O-Line and D-Line being neglected if we end up spending a high pick on a LB.

I have no problem with the Bills taking AJ Hawk if he falls to #8, but beyond him I'd wait until the 4th to address the LB situation since we have SO many pressing needs we need to handle in Day One.

Problem is, what position do you neglect to draft on Day One because you wanted a LB?

OT?  OG?  DT?  SS?

Our O-Line cant survive another year with the Bills not paying attention to it.  I wouldnt draft a LB until, at the earliest, the 4th round.

671476[/snapback]

We have the whole draft to address the OL, the first pick should be an instant impact player.

I agree as well. Our LBs could hit the wall really quickly, if Spikes can't come back and Fletch shows some age.

I don't think we'll reach for one, but if there is good value (Hawk in the 1st or someone like D'Qwell Jackson in the 2nd), I could see us grabbing one. Certainly the 3rd round would not surprise me.

I love 2nd and 3rd round linebackers. Seems llike you can get some great players in those rounds, particularly when you pick a guy whose measurables are slightly lower than you'd like. I think LB might be the position where speed/size are least important (they're always pretty important of course).

Suppose one guy has a .3 second advantage in the 40, but another guy reads and reacts to plays a half second quicker. You do the math. LB is the position where football instincts - the ability to read and diagnose a play almost unconsciously - matter the most. Instincts = playing speed.

671477[/snapback]

Hawk anyone?

Actually, I've never made one before, but this year I start. And it will be a surprise. Kinda. But it makes sense.

Buffalo takes a linebacker in the first three rounds. Maybe round 2 even. Call me crazy, but it will happen.

671455[/snapback]

So where did this guy A. Linebacker go to school? I've never heard of him.

Would you say that we took care of our O-Line problems last year by drafting Justin Geisinger in the 6th round?  Or Dylan McFarland the year before in the 7th?

That is a huge problem in my mind, the Bills dont seem to pay any attention to the O-Line until the second Day...and I'm sorry, the chances of you lucking out and selecting a future starter is very slim.  So I would say there is a great danger of the O-Line and D-Line being neglected if we end up spending a high pick on a LB.

I have no problem with the Bills taking AJ Hawk if he falls to #8, but beyond him I'd wait until the 4th to address the LB situation since we have SO many pressing needs we need to handle in Day One.

671584[/snapback]

Where did I say Buffalo could address this in the 2nd day, I said we have more then 4 picks on the first day, you gave 4 positions, that still leaves us with a couple more picks to chose someone not line related.

The Bills needs aren't just linemen. Buffalo still needs a WR to replace Moulds, A TE that isn't already a project or going to spend his days on IR, LB, etc. You aren't going to find the solution to all your problems in the first day of the draft, thats why teams show up for the second day.

As for Geisinger and MacFarland being taken in the later rounds, they are more serviceable then a certain early linemen pick the Bills recently tossed to the curb

671455[/snapback]

Linebacker is a real possibility in round three if we get the defensive lineman and offensive lineman and maybe a db in rounds one and two.