Hmmm..Soccer vs Hockey...

I don't have a problem with soccer fans as I actually like to watch World Cup games and actually go to indoor games (or at least I used to before the Blizzard folded).

I didn't start the p*ssing match (don't think you did either actually), but was merely pointing out the fact that Gretzky not being a bruiser really isn't an indictment of the guy nor the sport.

668616[/snapback]

I hear ya....Gretsky was just the only example I could think of, lol.

I hear ya....Gretsky was just the only example I could think of, lol.

668618[/snapback]

OK, that's cool. I'm just disappointed that you didn't like the Phil Sykes reference as he is in all probability the only guy out of the handful (and we are talking Mites through NHL Alumni games) that Wayner "fought" that DIDN'T kick his butt. :)

I don't know if the "fight" could be found through a search of GG's site, but it is truly hilarious for the sheer patheticness (is that a word?) of it. Kurri trying to get a "3rd man in" penalty just completes the scene. ;)

OK, that's cool.  I'm just disappointed that you didn't like the Phil Sykes reference as he is in all probability the only guy out of the handful (and we are talking Mites through NHL Alumni games) that Wayner "fought" that DIDN'T kick his butt. :)

I don't know if the "fight" could be found through a search of GG's site, but it is truly hilarious for the sheer patheticness (is that a word?) of it.  Kurri trying to get a "3rd man in" penalty just completes the scene. ;)

668620[/snapback]

Oh okay, yeah, that reference went over my head lol....I saw Wayne-O play more with the Kings than I ever did when he was with Edmonton, but I dont' remember ever seeing him get into a fight. I'd love to see the clip you're referring to, though lol

OK, so every man alive (with the exception of Phil Sykes) can beat up Wayne Gretzky.  How many of your soccer playing buddies could beat up "Cement Head" Semenko or McSorley?  Not many (or more accurately, NONE).  Neither could many hockey players, which is why Gretzky didn't have to fight much.

668595[/snapback]

Since when does every sport have to do with fighting anyway? Hockey players are obviously much stronger than soccer players and there is no disputing that but it is a much different game.

Oh okay, yeah, that reference went over my head lol....I saw Wayne-O play more with the Kings than I ever did when he was with Edmonton, but I dont' remember ever seeing him get into a fight. I'd love to see the clip you're referring to, though lol

668626[/snapback]

I know the clip is on the 1st Don Cherry Rock-em Sock-em Hockey (no the videos aren't as dumb as the name implies, although the music is pretty pathetic) and assume you could find it via a google search.

Ironically, Sykes was a King when he "fought" Gretzky.

Getting off thread, the DCRSH videos have some of the greatest stupid hockey quotes ever.

Stuff like "Little Alan Bester has seen more rubber than a dead skunk on the Trans Canada Highway", and (this is paraphrasing) "Wendall Clark with 1/2 a back is better than most guys with a full back". Trust me, they DO sound good when Cherry says them.

The videos also have some of the prettiest "tic-tac-toe" goals you could ever hope to see. (And some of the best bone jarring hits and hockey fights ever. I guarantee the Campbell - Umberger hit will be there soon.) I've only got the 1st 6, but he does a new one every year and he must be up to at least 14 by now.

Since when does every sport have to do with fighting anyway?  Hockey players are obviously much stronger than soccer players and there is no disputing that but it is a much different game.

668628[/snapback]

Huh? I am totally missing your point on this one.

Every sport does not have to do with fighting, and the NHL has significantly reduced it this season. Again, I am missing your point.

I know the clip is on the 1st Don Cherry Rock-em Sock-em Hockey (no the videos aren't as dumb as the name implies, although the music is pretty pathetic) and assume you could find it via a google search.

Ironically, Sykes was a King when he "fought" Gretzky.

Getting off thread, the DCRSH videos have some of the greatest stupid hockey quotes ever.

Stuff like "Little Alan Bester has seen more rubber than a dead skunk on the Trans Canada Highway", and (this is paraphrasing) "Wendall Clark with 1/2 a back is better than most guys with a full back".  Trust me, they DO sound good when Cherry says them.

The videos also have some of the prettiest "tic-tac-toe" goals you could ever hope to see.  (And some of the best bone jarring hits and hockey fights ever.  I guarantee the Campbell - Umberger hit will be there soon.)  I've only got the 1st 6, but he does a new one every year and he must be up to at least 14 by now.

668633[/snapback]

Do you happen to subscribe to Netflix? I think I'll check through there before I hit the sack to see what they have....I was shocked at how many sports discs they have, so I'm sure they probably have a ton of hockey stuff. I wish I could find more of the games in HD, though....it just makes a HUGE difference when it comes to tracking the puck and really *seeing* the action. I had't realized that HDNet had picked up the NHL until around November, but one night I happened to catch a Pittsburgh game. I was just glued to my seat, cause it literally felt like you were sitting about three rows up from the glass. The puck is as clear as day and you feel like you're part of the game. ALL hockey games should be broadcast that way, IMO.

Do you happen to subscribe to Netflix? I think I'll check through there before I hit the sack to see what they have....I was shocked at how many sports discs they have, so I'm sure they probably have a ton of hockey stuff. I wish I could find more of the games in HD, though....it just makes a HUGE difference when it comes to tracking the puck and really *seeing* the action. I had't realized that HDNet had picked up the NHL until around November, but one night I happened to catch a Pittsburgh game. I was just glued to my seat, cause it literally felt like you were sitting about three rows up from the glass. The puck is as clear as day and you feel like you're part of the game. ALL hockey games should be broadcast that way, IMO.

668640[/snapback]

Don't use Netflix, but I do have some friends that swear by it. Thing is, there are so few new movies coming out that I am interested in I can usually find stuff I want at BJ's for $10 and the handful of new stuff I want for about $20. I then don't have to mess around with returning discs or losing them or whatever.

I also tend to buy more "classic" TV shows than movies, but like to "have" them rather than have to return them and reobtain them.

I've only seen 2 hockey games in HD, but I definitely think that it will be the key to hockey regaining its spot as one of the "big 4" sports again. I would actually like to see the NHL give SU or some other school with a top level communications program a grant of about $250k to figure out how to best take advantage of HD. I've had about 20 friends that didn't know anything about hockey watch games on TV with me, and none got hooked. I've dragged about 10 friends with me TO NHL games (preseason, down south) and ALL of them got hooked. HD could definitely change that equation.

Don't use Netflix, but I do have some friends that swear by it.  Thing is, there are so few new movies coming out that I am interested in I can usually find stuff I want at BJ's for $10 and the handful of new stuff I want for about $20.  I then don't have to mess around with returning discs or losing them or whatever. 

I also tend to buy more "classic" TV shows than movies, but like to "have" them rather than have to return  them and reobtain them.

I've only seen 2 hockey games in HD, but I definitely think that it will be the key to hockey regaining its spot as one of the "big 4" sports again.  I would actually like to see the NHL give SU or some other school with a top level communications program a grant of about $250k to figure out how to best take advantage of HD.  I've had about 20 friends that didn't know anything about hockey watch games on TV with me, and none got hooked.  I've dragged about 10 friends with me TO NHL games (preseason, down south) and ALL of them got hooked.  HD could definitely change that equation.

668642[/snapback]

Oh, I completely agree. I've now seen the "big 4" sports in HD, in addition to the MLS, and I can honestly say that the biggest improvement is with hockey.....it's not even close. Basketball is better, but unless the Sixers are having a great year I just don't care much about it. Baseball, Football, and Hockey all look fantastic, but there's never really been an issue with regard to following the game on standard definition broadcasts with regard to the first two. Obviously that's not been the case with hockey, hence that Fox glowing puck thing from a few years ago, so there's clearly a need. HD solves it. I dare say it's not just helpful, but it pretty much makes it a moot issue. The speed of hockey translates MUCH better to a HD widescreen than it does a regular tv. For people like myself, who don't know as much about the game, it actually makes it more interesting, too. I'm able to monitor player movement much more easily, not just just the location and movement of the puck. So I think you'd probably find that HD broadcasts will have an impact similar to when you take them to the game as opposed to the impact it had when you watched on television. At least that's the case with me :)

I love soccer. Grew up far from ice skating rinks so I'm not really into hockey. I mean the games are about as similiar as swimming and highdiving. People think cause you score goals in a net it's the same type of thing. Nothing could be further than the truth.

Do I think Hockey guys are tough? Hell yeah. Do I think they are tougher than soccer players. Yes, the men fight for fun. They're tougher than football players too. But please don't find some random clip and expect me to accept that soccer players are wimps. Have you ever been cleated in the chest so hard you have permanent impressions in your chest? My teamate in high school did. Would you run up to a ball than had just been kicked 80 yards, jump up and stick your head in there while getting elbowed in the eye? It's fine with me if you say hockey guys are tougher, just please don't call soccer players anything less than tough athletes.

You want ot watch real soccer don't watch the US crud, which is unfortunately based ont he Dutch style of play which is quick passing. Watch any Italian Series game and you should see a couple of guys get screwed up.

Anyway. Go soccer, go hockey, go football- Long Live Sport!

Huh?  I am totally missing your point on this one.

Every sport does not have to do with fighting, and the NHL has significantly reduced it this season.  Again, I am missing your point.

668636[/snapback]

sorry i didnt' read the thread in its entirety

i thought you were saying that hockey was better than soccer because of the fighting and checking. i then realized that you were replying to ajzepp's comment on how a soccer player could beat up the great one.

my bad

I love soccer. Grew up far from ice skating rinks so I'm not really into hockey. I mean the games are about as similiar as swimming and highdiving. People think cause you score goals in a net it's the same type of thing. Nothing could be further than the truth.

Do I think Hockey guys are tough? Hell yeah. Do I think they are tougher than soccer players. Yes, the men fight for fun. They're tougher than football players too. But please don't find some random clip and expect me to accept that soccer players are wimps. Have you ever been cleated in the chest so hard you have permanent impressions in your chest? My teamate in high school did. Would you run up to a ball than had just been kicked 80 yards, jump up and stick your head in there while getting elbowed in the eye? It's fine with me if you say hockey guys are tougher, just please don't call soccer players anything less than tough athletes.

You want ot watch real soccer don't watch the US crud, which is unfortunately based ont he Dutch style of play which is quick passing. Watch any Italian Series game and you should see a couple of guys get screwed up.

668647[/snapback]

I watch mostly champions league because Italian serie A is just too corrupt. It kills the fun of watching it. That or the stadiums filled with smoke from all the flares and god knows what.

There is no parity, there is too many foreigners in the leagues and there is way too much match fixing.

Champions league and the International competitions are great to watch but the individual leagues are just un-entertaining unless you root for a team that always wins, i.e. Juventus in Italy.

668647[/snapback]

how right your are... there's "soldiers" in all team sports and "sissies" too...

Some soccer games are truly tough and brutal... if you doubt it find a tape of the '82 World cup second round game Italy vs Argentina... i still don't know how nobody did get seriously hurt during that "game"... the italian D was made of 5 butchers!

how right your are... there's "soldiers" in all team sports and "sissies" too...

Some soccer games are truly tough and brutal... if you doubt it find a tape of the '82 World cup second round game Italy vs Argentina... i still don't know how nobody did get seriously hurt during that "game"... the italian D was made of 5 butchers!

668851[/snapback]

Ya, i never got to see the game since i was only 1 :w00t:. Do you know a place where i could download the game as I dont' know anyone who has a tape of the world cup in 82.

I really think this summer is gonna be intense. France, Argentina, Brazil and Italy all have teams with players who are doing well in the league.

let me just say this.....there is no professional soccer player anywhere on earth that could not kick the living sh-- out of Wayne Gretsky....

668254[/snapback]

this is true- because Marty McSorelly would kick the living sh-- out of whomever layed a finger on 99

this is true- because Marty McSorelly would kick the living sh-- out of whomever layed a finger on 99

669135[/snapback]

LOL, I remember that guy.....he was a bad mofo

Ya, i never got to see the game since i was only 1 :).  Do you know a place where i could download the game as I dont' know anyone who has a tape of the world cup in 82.

I really think this summer is gonna be intense.  France, Argentina, Brazil and Italy all have teams with players who are doing well in the league.

668887[/snapback]

the 82 World Cup was just incredible, all teams had very peculiar styles and it was a great show, i remember the games like they were played yesterday... and of course the semi France vs Germany is probably the greatest game ever...