I just hope our scouts did their homework

To be fair though, Donahoe did throw a #4 overall pick at his offensive line and a flurry of picks at high-motor white dudes on the defensive line.

But, one can make their own luck.  Swinging for the fences on every pitch, well, that doesn't win a lot of ball games.

666675[/snapback]

Sorry, but TD was "swinging for the fences" when he passed on a clearly superior McKinnie, and a less clearly superior (at the time) Levi Jones. Both of these guys were LTs, and not slobs.

To my knowledge, Fatso was the earliest RT ever drafted. It a classic example of TD trying to get "cute" with a draft pick, in this case the #4.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big MaGahee fan. We needed a RB in that draft as well (due to having a featured back who was a druggie, couldn't block, fumbled, and was brain dead), but TD passed on Steinbach and we watched Willis sit for more than a year. As for the trade for JP, this was nothing short of sheer arrogance, and utter stupidity.

Marv might be old, but I am glad to see TD out of Buffalo.

Well, at least for at least 8 days. :doh::flirt:

Sorry, but TD was "swinging for the fences" when he passed on a clearly superior McKinnie, and a less clearly superior (at the time) Levi Jones. Both of these guys were LTs, and not slobs.

To my knowledge, Fatso was the earliest RT ever drafted. It a classic example of TD trying to get "cute" with a draft pick, in this case the #4.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big MaGahee fan. We needed a RB in that draft as well (due to having a featured back who was a druggie, couldn't block, fumbled, and was brain dead), but TD passed on Steinbach and we watched Willis sit for more than a year. As for the trade for JP, this was nothing short of sheer arrogance, and utter stupidity.

Marv might be old, but I am glad to see TD out of Buffalo.

Well, at least for at least 8 days.  :doh:  :flirt:

666767[/snapback]

Actually, I agree with Oxy here. I agree that Donahoe did not do enough to build the team from the ground up.

I was making the minor addendum that Donahoe took a couple of huge swings at it, but the evidence suggests that Teflon really bought into the "street wisdom" that one can sign a collection of fat slobs, give them a good coach, wave a magic wand, and have an NFL caliber line. As Oxy said, we know this is preposterous, but for whatever reason the management at OBD gave us no hint of knowing this. Drafting a huge, slow, unmotivated RT at #4 to anchor your line at LT for the next decade and giving him trucks full of money was to Teflon what drafting Ryan Leaf was to Bobby Beathard.

I am not sad to see TD out of Buffalo. This football team is much, much worse off now than the one he took over. Prospects of it becoming a good team soon are dim.

You forgot to tell us whether or not you liked Parrish and Everett.

666754[/snapback]

Its not soon enough for him to tell you his draft day thoughts on parrish and everett. He needs ot watch them play first and determine how good/bad they turn out, then he'll spout off on how he knew all along. :flirt:

And Bill, whats with the roscoe hate? :doh: I can easily see hating TD for taking roscoe in round 2 when there were other players that were needed. But why hate the little guy? Its not his fault he got drafted. Also, Roscoe WASNT hurt when we drafted him, and small players do make it. I guess i am saying "hate the pick, not the player"

Its not soon enough for him to tell you his draft day thoughts on parrish and everett. He needs ot watch them play first and determine how good/bad they turn out, then he'll spout off on how he knew all along. :flirt:

666850[/snapback]

Nah, I've been posting opinions all over the place about this year's draft prospects without the benefit of seeing them play in the pros. The intent of my post wasn't to comprehensively give opinions on every single player we've ever drafted. But since I obviously haven't seen Everett play in the pros, either, here's my opinion: blah, mediocre impact. Best tight end on this team will be Euhus. Sorry, I don't mean to suggest that any fan can know everything about every prospect but you can definitely make a judgement on a draft immediately. For example, I figure if the Bills draft Bunkley, you'll say that's a good pick based off watching him a lot.

And Bill, whats with the roscoe hate? :doh: I can easily see hating TD for taking roscoe in round 2 when there were other players that were needed. But why hate the little guy? Its not his fault he got drafted. Also, Roscoe WASNT hurt when we drafted him, and small players do make it. I guess i am saying "hate the pick, not the player"

666850[/snapback]

Don't agree with many of your posts Ramius, aka Mr. Bunkley, but your first paragraph is almost word for word what I was thinking. I think people evaluating film for a living may have a more informed opinion than the guy/gal watching on the tube (which is not to say that mistakes are not made). Easy to second guess after the fact.

Morandy

I agree with that depending on the position....

I think that is actually very easy to evaluate linemen on the tube because the camera's are trained into that area of the field the majority of the time....

But rb, wr, lb, s, dbs......you cant really tell

666878[/snapback]

Agreed. And alot may depend on who he is drafted by, the system, the coaching, etc., as to whether he will develop.

Agree with your premiseOn the OL, .. for example everything you see on tape, Eric Winston has a hard time with quick DE's. Whether it's footwork or lack of strength I don't know, but you are right, I think a Red flag can be spotted in the trenches a little easier.

I think its tougher to evaluate linemen, because you know know what their blocking scheme for the play was or who they were responsible for. just because a defender blows by 1 lineman doesnt mean it was his fault. maybe it was someone elses responsibility, but just looks like his.

And mo randy, i'm not related to bunkley :flirt: I dont think the bills should go DT in round 1, unless its in a trade down. go for huff or davis.

there are nfl teams that draft and retain/sign players well on a consistent basis.

i think baltimore might be the best.

they use traditional formal methods of looking at the measurables, temperment, game film, etc. (there was a great article with ozzie newsome before last year's draft in a paper i got at an airport).

they make SOME mistakes, but most of the guys they take are good for them. i think TD didn't have the skills to use these techniques and therefore shot from the hip a few times too many.

i'm pretty optimistic that marv and dick will put in the right work and figure out who to draft where.

Well, this explains your love for Roscoe.  :flirt:

667083[/snapback]

Nah i dont have man love for roscoe, just wondering why you hate him so much. As for passing on a DT, frankly, if D'brick is gone, there is no OL or DT worth taking at #8. So, barring a trade-down, huff or davis would be the best choice. Plus, the draft is deep with DT's.

I simply think that drafting 10 linemen and trotting out 10 OL and a QB is a bad decision on the part of the offense. :doh:

Nah i dont have man love for roscoe, just wondering why you hate him so much. As for passing on a DT, frankly, if D'brick is gone, there is no OL or DT worth taking at #8. So, barring a trade-down, huff or davis would be the best choice. Plus, the draft is deep with DT's.

I simply think that drafting 10 linemen and trotting out 10 OL and a QB is a bad decision on the part of the offense. :flirt:

667118[/snapback]

I don't "hate" Roscoe. He might even play well for a while before he takes a decent hit is carted away to some play-pen at an unknown location.

To me, Roscoe represents everything that is wrong with this team. The Bills were simply stupid to draft him with their 1st selection.

Also, I have been to RWS 12 times. I know this is nothing to you locals, but once a year for 12 years was not easy for me to do.

In any event, I have seen Bills Fans. They are in large blue collar, hard working, decent, cool people. Have you ever met Bob Lamb? He is Mister Buffalo Bills and Mr. WNY.

Images of Roscoe opening his apartment door and running back in while in a state of shock don't conjure up too many warm feelings here.

I have tailgated with #89, Lori and cablelady. THEY are tougher than this, and deserve better. :doh:

Don't get me wrong, I am a big MaGahee fan. We needed a RB in that draft as well (due to having a featured back who was a druggie, couldn't block, fumbled, and was brain dead),

666767[/snapback]

Drew taught TH well. :doh:

:flirt: