Nothing gringo on May 1?

pdh1

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- "The Great American Boycott" is spreading south of the border, as activists call for Mexicans to boycott U.S. businesses on May 1.

he protest is timed to coincide with a May 1 boycott of work and shopping in the United States that also has been dubbed "A Day Without Immigrants." The boycott, which grew out of huge pro-migrant marches across the United States, is designed to pressure Congress to legalize millions of undocumented people.

Mexican unions, political and community groups, newspaper columnists and even some Mexican government offices have joined the call in recent days.

"Remember, nothing gringo on May 1," advises one of the many e-mails being circulated among Internet users in Mexico.

"On May 1, people shouldn't buy anything from the interminable list of American businesses in Mexico," reads another. "That means no Dunkin' Donuts, no McDonald's, Burger King, Starbucks, Sears, Krispy Kreme or Wal-Mart."

For some it's a way to express anti-U.S. sentiment, while others see it as part of a cross-border, Mexican-power lobby.

In some cases, advocates incorrectly identified firms as American -- Sears stores in Mexico, for example, have been owned by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim since 1997.

And ironically, the protest targets the U.S. business community, which is one of the strongest supporters of legalization or guest-worker programs.

"At the end of the day, boycotting would only hurt corporations that are backing what people want done in the immigration bill," said Larry Rubin, CEO of the American Chamber of Commerce in Mexico. Rubin is encouraging people to write to their legislators instead of boycotting.

Mexican groups are responding. Pablo Gonzalez, spokesman for one of Mexico's largest labor unions, the Federation of Revolutionary Workers and Farmers, said his organization will support a boycott against "at least four of the most important U.S. firms, among them Wal-Mart," Mexico's largest retailer.

Two other major labor groups -- the telephone workers' and auto workers' unions -- also are expected to join, Vigil said.

Even parts of the Mexican government have signed onto the protest.

"We are not going to be buying any products from the United States on May 1," said Lolita Parkinson, national coordinator for the National Board of State Offices on Attention for Migrants, which represents state government-run migrant aid offices.

"We want to show the power we have as Mexicans," said Carlos Chavez y Pacho, vice president of the chamber of commerce in Piedras Negras, across from Eagle Pass, Texas. Chavez y Pacho is also urging Mexicans not to shop in U.S. border cities on May 1, in part to protest what he calls arrogant behavior by U.S. customs officials and border officers.

Rafael Ruiz Harrell, who writes a column in the Mexico City newspaper Metro, predicted the boycott could give rise to a broader, pan-Latino movement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy, I don't even know where to start with this.

1) Isn't "Gringo" a racist term? What if we had "Don't hire a spic day"?

2) "..protest what he calls arrogant behavior by U.S. customs officials and border officers". Huh? Is to trying to protect your border arrogant? How does MEHICO treat people trying to come up their southern border?

3)" the boycott could give rise to a broader, pan-Latino movement." Isn't that kinda of like "White Power" ?

4) I have real trouble understanding the mindset of people from MEHICO that thing they are doing us a favor and we need to appreciate them. So they are doing all this work in the US as a favor? Because they are nice? No, it's because they get paid. And the money they sent back to MEHICO is that country's no source of income. Because their "economy" sucks, and hasn't ever produce jobs, in spite of all the resources they have. If the money that illegals sent back were cut off, wouldn't MEHICO completely collapse? Didn't the US bail out their economy when their currency was dropping like a stone in the 90's?

4) Any one else just really really tire of these "protests"?

5) Isn't May 1st a communist holiday? What is that telling us?

Personally, I think all the posturing is going to blow up in their face. I'm guessing the majority of Americans don't/didn't really care about the illegal "issue," but now that it's being shoved in our faces, I wouldn't be suprised if there is a backlash against the illegals.

Does that mean we have to mow our own lawns? Clean public toilets? Stay home from work and take care of our own kids? Cook our own meals? Pay more for fruits and vegetables because white people won't pick them for $3.25 an hour?!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

We're not the only country with a problem with undocumented aliens. As long as there is nothing for them at home, and something here to make them stay, it's gonna happen. Force employers to put them on the books and pay minimum wage, and poof! the problem will go away. And if it doesn't then I guess we need them more than they need us.

Non-issue. Like gay marriage and intelligent design. Just another red herring to keep the masses from paying attention to all the other bad shirt that's going on.

I do not care about gay marriage or the war on christmas or keeping a vegetable alive........ When the u.s. gov't allows employers to hire illegals to replace american workers, thats F---ed-up........I might as well sell dope, its illegal, but I can make money, maybe the gov't will look the other way... It's just a money issue.......

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- "The Great American Boycott" is spreading south of the border, as activists call for Mexicans to boycott U.S. businesses on May 1.

he protest is timed to coincide with a May 1 boycott of work and shopping in the United States that also has been dubbed "A Day Without Immigrants." The boycott, which grew out of huge pro-migrant marches across the United States, is designed to pressure Congress to legalize millions of undocumented people.

Mexican unions, political and community groups, newspaper columnists and even some Mexican government offices have joined the call in recent days.

"Remember, nothing gringo on May 1," advises one of the many e-mails being circulated among Internet users in Mexico.

"On May 1, people shouldn't buy anything from the interminable list of American businesses in Mexico," reads another. "That means no Dunkin' Donuts, no McDonald's, Burger King, Starbucks, Sears, Krispy Kreme or Wal-Mart."

For some it's a way to express anti-U.S. sentiment, while others see it as part of a cross-border, Mexican-power lobby.

In some cases, advocates incorrectly identified firms as American -- Sears stores in Mexico, for example, have been owned by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim since 1997.

And ironically, the protest targets the U.S. business community, which is one of the strongest supporters of legalization or guest-worker programs.

"At the end of the day, boycotting would only hurt corporations that are backing what people want done in the immigration bill," said Larry Rubin, CEO of the American Chamber of Commerce in Mexico. Rubin is encouraging people to write to their legislators instead of boycotting.

Mexican groups are responding. Pablo Gonzalez, spokesman for one of Mexico's largest labor unions, the Federation of Revolutionary Workers and Farmers, said his organization will support a boycott against "at least four of the most important U.S. firms, among them Wal-Mart," Mexico's largest retailer.

Two other major labor groups -- the telephone workers' and auto workers' unions -- also are expected to join, Vigil said.

Even parts of the Mexican government have signed onto the protest.

"We are not going to be buying any products from the United States on May 1," said Lolita Parkinson, national coordinator for the National Board of State Offices on Attention for Migrants, which represents state government-run migrant aid offices.

"We want to show the power we have as Mexicans," said Carlos Chavez y Pacho, vice president of the chamber of commerce in Piedras Negras, across from Eagle Pass, Texas. Chavez y Pacho is also urging Mexicans not to shop in U.S. border cities on May 1, in part to protest what he calls arrogant behavior by U.S. customs officials and border officers.

Rafael Ruiz Harrell, who writes a column in the Mexico City newspaper Metro, predicted the boycott could give rise to a broader, pan-Latino movement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

2) "..protest what he calls arrogant behavior by U.S. customs officials and border officers". Huh? Is to trying to protect your border arrogant? How does MEHICO treat people trying to come up their  southern border?

3)" the boycott could give rise to a broader, pan-Latino movement." Isn't that kinda of like "White Power" ?

4) I have real trouble understanding the mindset of people from MEHICO that thing they are doing us a favor and we need to appreciate them. So they are doing all this work in the US as a favor? Because they are nice? No, it's because they get paid. And the money they sent back to MEHICO is that country's no source of income. Because their "economy" sucks, and hasn't ever produce jobs, in spite of all the resources they have. If the money that illegals sent back were cut off, wouldn't MEHICO completely collapse? Didn't the US bail out their economy when their currency was dropping like a stone in the 90's?

662538[/snapback]

I've got a great protest idea! Instead of "A day without illegal immigrants", lets have EVERY day without illegal immigrants. That will really show those oppressive, mean, law abiding Gringos! Prepare for some serious backlash due to these protests. Americans will get really tired of hearing how mexicans are entitled to take whatever they want from this country because they don't agree with our laws. The same people who supposedly want nothing more than to be citizens in America have no problem attempting to harm the economy and screw the average American.

2) "..protest what he calls arrogant behavior by U.S. customs officials and border officers". Huh? Is to trying to protect your border arrogant? How does MEHICO treat people trying to come up their  southern border?

662538[/snapback]

Try to keep in mind that this is probably being organized by the same "geniuses" who thought it'd be a good idea to bring Mexican flags to immigration protests all across the United States.

Here's a thought: if you want to be an American, don't come over here and wave someone else's flag in our collective face.

I do not care about gay marriage or the war on christmas or keeping a vegetable alive........ When the u.s. gov't allows employers to hire  illegals to replace american workers, thats F---ed-up........I might as well sell dope, its illegal, but I can make money, maybe the gov't will look the other way... It's just a money issue.......

663044[/snapback]

Amen.

So then why are people falling for the governments bullshirt and blaming the immigrants? Blame the government for not enforcing the laws against hiring undocumented aliens. Sic the IRS on 'em. Attack the base of the fire and it'll go out. Dicking around with the flames only fans them.

Or continue to get sucked in by the talking heads and slimy politicians who have learned that dividing us over emotional but ultimately meaningless "issues" is the only way they can win.

Amen.

So then why are people falling for the governments bullshirt and blaming the immigrants?  Blame the government for not enforcing the laws against hiring undocumented aliens.  Sic the IRS on 'em.  Attack the base of the fire and it'll go out.  Dicking around with the flames only fans them.

Or continue to get sucked in by the talking heads and slimy politicians who have learned that dividing us over emotional but ultimately meaningless "issues" is the only way they can win.

663107[/snapback]

Wow. That was actually intelligent.

Bet you can't do it again... :huh:

Amen.

So then why are people falling for the governments bullshirt and blaming the immigrants?  Blame the government for not enforcing the laws against hiring undocumented aliens.  Sic the IRS on 'em.  Attack the base of the fire and it'll go out.  Dicking around with the flames only fans them.

663107[/snapback]

Another poster said it best, politicians are protecting the people who fund their campaigns....Otherwise the law would be enforced........

Another poster said it best, politicians are protecting the people who fund their campaigns....Otherwise the law would be enforced........

663294[/snapback]

Agreed, yet someone here or on Comedy Central said the other day that following France's guest worker idea is idiotic. Then we would create 12 million disenfranchised immigrants with no hope of citizenship, being theoretically sent back in six years, and likely to engage in riots to protest the situation...oops sounds like we are there already.

I am waiting for the backlash too, but being a pessimist, I just don't think the American public really cares and views the best policy is to ignore it and it will go away unless their SUVs stop working or soccer practice gets canceled. Ah let them waved their flags who really cares. Denial works wonders.

Does that mean we have to mow our own lawns?  Clean public toilets?  Stay home from work and take care of our own kids?  Cook our own meals?  Pay more for fruits and vegetables because white people won't pick them for $3.25 an hour?!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

We're not the only country with a problem with undocumented aliens.  As long as there is nothing for them at home, and something here to make them stay, it's gonna happen.  Force employers to put them on the books and pay minimum wage, and poof! the problem will go away.  And if it doesn't then I guess we need them more than they need us.

Non-issue.  Like gay marriage and intelligent design.  Just another red herring to keep the masses from paying attention to all the other bad shirt that's going on.

662932[/snapback]

I agree with the first part.

The second part is vexing... How will that force employers to put them on the books?... People will always work under the table... Documenting them won't solve anything.

And for the most part... Good... Boycott American business...

Agreed, yet someone here or on Comedy Central said the other day that following France's guest worker idea is idiotic.  Then we would create 12 million disenfranchised immigrants with no hope of citizenship, being theoretically sent back in six years, and likely to engage in riots to protest the situation...oops sounds like we are there already.

I am waiting for the backlash too, but being a pessimist, I just don't think the American public really cares and views the best policy is to ignore it and it will go away unless their SUVs stop working or soccer practice gets canceled.  Ah let them waved their flags who really cares.  Denial works wonders.

663394[/snapback]

How 'bout not having ANY guest program?

Like it was said... Looks like we will be paying more for a lot of services or DO IT YOURSELF.

I don't mind paying... Does everyone else?

Everybody lives within in their means and you'd be surprised how nicely things can go... Over-reach and get problems.

Again, GOOD! Time to downsize this crazy economy.

Amen.

663107[/snapback]

Debbie, you are so right about gay marriages, steroids in baseball, etc., yet SO wrong on this issue. Your comments about "who will mow the lawn," etc. were as elitist and shocking as Bloomberg asking, "who will take care of the golf courses?"

What's up with that? :)

Gay marriages do not cause hospitals to close. Steroids in baseball do not cause the children of citizens in North Carolina to wait hours on end for their children to be treated in Emergency Rooms because the doctors are busy treating illegal aliens.

This is not a "smoking in bars" issue. In Suffolk County, NY, a whopping 50% of patients at walk-in county clinics are illegal aliens for which the county is not re-imbursed. Who do you suppose foots the bill? Also, stop by a maternity ward and see who is being born at taxpayer expense. Then, run by your local (non-elitist) school, and see who your tax dollars are "educating."

This issue is coming straight from the citizens. It was NOT contrived. You should know this because the President, along with leading phoneys from both parties are on the wrong side of the issue, and are all for welcoming this criminal element (by the very nature of the word "illegal) into our country, and why not? They are elitists who are shielded from them, while working people pick up the tab.

It would not surprise me one bit to see a 3rd party candidate make a big splash in the next election based on this issue alone.

Debbie, you are so right about gay marriages, steroids in baseball, etc., yet SO wrong on this issue. Your comments about "who will mow the lawn," etc. were as elitist and shocking as Bloomberg asking, "who will take care of the golf courses?"

What's up with that?  <_<

Gay marriages do not cause hospitals to close. Steroids in baseball do not cause the children of citizens in North Carolina to wait hours on end for their children to be treated in Emergency Rooms because the doctors are busy treating illegal aliens.

This is not a "smoking in bars" issue. In Suffolk County, NY, a whopping 50% of patients at walk-in county clinics are illegal aliens for which the county is not re-imbursed. Who do you suppose foots the Bill. Also, stop by a maternity ward and see who is being born at taxpayer expense. Then, run by your local (non-elitist) school, and see who your tax dollars are "educating."

This issue is coming straight from the citizens. It was NOT contrived. You should know this because the President, along with leading phoneys from both parties are on the wrong side of the issue, and are all for welcoming this criminal element (by the very nature of the word "illegal) into our country, and why not? They are elitists who are shielded from them, while working people pick up the tab.

It would not surprise me one bit to see a 3rd party candidate make a big splash in the next election based on this issue alone.

663839[/snapback]

Exactly Bill.

Now the burden gets put on the legal citizens.

Not an illegal issue... Put they are always pinching us... My isurance company claims they have paid everything they will on a claim LAST MAY when my son broke his elbow and needed surgery... Now the hospital is chasing after me for 75 bucks extra... I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS FOR... I already paid my deductible...

This calim was for LAST year... I feel the hospital may be trying to recoup money and double bill or ficticously bill my HMO...

And you know who the burden of proof is on? ME!

I am caught in the middle of the hospital trying to fleece an extra 75 bucks out of me... They know it is chump change for me and I can easily pay it...

Who is to say they don't do this thing all the time, knowing that the insurance company puts the final burden on the patient or policy holder?

Who is to say that the hospital isn't making up some of these extra numbers to cover the losses they get from the illegals and un-insured?

They are crooked as all get up... And it is about time we downsize the numbers and the balance sheet.

I may be way off base here with my assumptions... But, I am not paying without and exact itemized bill...

Also... Same thing with my doctor visits... For some reason my healthcare provider ALWAYS sends me with a 10 dollar bill... All my co-pays are current and I have every record...

Do they do this to fleece the public, thinking that they will just pay up these small amounts?

Corrupt billing???

:w00t:<_<