Another teacher accused of having sex

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what if a graduate student at a NC university begins a relationship with another enrolled student over 19, not in any of the same classes, say a Chemist and a Business major???

662376[/snapback]

Must ban about 4 Donald Southerland movies as being subversive.

So what if a graduate student at a NC university begins a relationship with another enrolled student over 19, not in any of the same classes, say a Chemist and a Business major???

662376[/snapback]

I suppose, if the grad student has a TA position, then it's illegal. If they have an RA, it's not.

It may be the law...but it's not a very good one.

Doesn't say anything about what type of school.  Theoretically, by the letter of the law, if a middle-aged college professor starts dating a middle-aged college student, it's still a felony.

As a practical matter, such a situation would never be prosecuted under the law.  Which kind of highlights the stupidity of the law.

662326[/snapback]

I'd be surprised if this particular law doesn't in a definitions section or introduction specify that "schools" are pre-K - 12 and exempts colleges, universities, post secondary trade schools, etc. The portion of the law attached to the article didn't address the issue, and I am too tired and care far too little about this issue to look up the NC law.

It doesn't make the law much less ridiculous, as you could have a 22 year old senior get busy with a 17 or 18 year old prodigy student teacher and the 17 or 18 year old would technically be a felon. I wonder if they were 22 and 17 if the "victim" of the Class G felony would also be charged with being a perpetrator of a statutory felony on the back side? How touching, they could both wait for the other to get out of prison. Isn't young adult love in North Carolina romantic? :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised if this particular law doesn't in a definitions section or introduction specify that "schools" are pre-K - 12 and exempts colleges, universities, post secondary trade schools, etc.  The portion of the law attached to the article didn't address the issue, and I am too tired and care far too little about this issue to look up the NC law. 

662585[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't...lots of examples of really stupid, poorly considered laws like that out there.

But, like you, I don't care enough to check.

Ok, by the letter of the law, she was wrong... Morally, she was wrong. She banged a 19 year old SPECIAL ED student. Granted, you can be labelled special ed for having a heavy tongue or not being able to read large words, but he was a special ed student. Now, what will be the result of this? Worst case, she is conviced and has to appeal to eventually get the law to change to minor student instead of any student. She'll still lose her job. The law may change, but the district policy won't. God i love NC... That chick was in MY state! she could have worked at MY school! I'd have banged her.