DT McCargo moving into the 1st round?

Per KFFL

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports North Carolina State DT John McCargo may be moving himself into the first round of the NFL Draft, according to some draft experts. One coach even said that McCargo is a better player than his college teammates, DE Mario Williams and DE/LB Manny Lawson, even though he won't be drafted ahead of them.

It would be very interesting if he doesn't go in the 1st rd. Could this be our 2n rd pick?

I just don't understand how these players shoot up the draft boards when scouts have had several years to assess them & watch them play. :blink:

Latest Scout Inc. assessment....

John McCargo

DT | (6'1", 302, 5.19) | NORTH CAROLINA ST

Scouts Grade: 75

Strengths: He's a one-gap penetrating type of defensive tackle prospect. He will fit best as a three-technique in the NFL. He shows very good initial burst out of his stance. Fires out low and with good initial power. He shows the consistent ability to penetrate and does a decent job of finding the ball once he gets through the line of scrimmage. He has good speed and overall mobility for his position. Can change directions and will pursue from behind. He is disruptive versus the run and pass. Has upside as a pass rusher if he can improve his ability to use his hands and get off of blocks. He is an intelligent and hard-working player. Was a good student in college and shows a lot of maturity for his age.

Weaknesses: He is undersized. He lacks ideal height and possesses marginal bulk. He plays with a narrow base and does not show the ability to anchor versus the run. He will get pushed around by bigger linemen that lock onto his body and he struggles to hold his ground when teams run at him. He has good penetrating skills versus the run but needs to improve his array of pass rush moves in order to contribute in that facet in the NFL. He gets a lot of pressure on quarterbacks because of his ability to penetrate quickly, but he does not show ideal closing burst to finish. Durability is also a concern after missing final five regular-season games due to stress fracture to left foot suffered vs. Wake Forest. The injury required surgery and several weeks of rehabilitation.

Overall: McCargo redshirted in 2002 before taking over as a fulltime starter in 2003, when he started all 13 games at DT and finished with 52 total tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 16 QB pressures and three sacks. He was an Academic All-ACC in 2004, when he started 10 of the 11 games he played and finished with 47 tackles, five TFL and 12 QB pressures. McCargo started all six games that he played in as a junior in 2005 but missed five others due to a stress fracture injury to his left foot that required surgery. Despite missing nearly half of the season, he still finished with 35 tackles, 10 TFL, seven QB pressures and one sack in 2005. McCargo was a surprise addition to the early-entry crop in this year's draft. He was completely overshadowed playing on an N.C. State defensive line that included the likes of Mario Williams and Manny Lawson. While McCargo is nowhere near the same caliber player, he was an impact starter in his own right when healthy. McCargo lacks ideal size and will never be able to consistently hold his ground versus the run. However, he has some upside for teams employing a one-gap, up-the-field type of defensive line scheme. McCargo returned to play in the season-finale as a junior, which helped to ease concerns regarding his foot injury. In our opinion, McCargo warrants consideration late on Day 1 of the 2006 draft.

Thanks for such a prompt reply. The information that you provided doesn't seem too favorable, but these draft reports always give great reviews on the strengths and then they follow it up with almost a complete contradiction on the weaknesses. I never can get an accurate vibe when I read these things. By your report, I wouldn't be too interested in him. I never feel confident in a player that has had a big injury, especially when it has been pretty recent. I suppose our doctors would have to be the deciding factor in these types of situations. They seemed to be right on the money with MaGahee. Here's a link to another preview report on McCargo. It's seems to be a bit more favorable. The one constant is the injury though.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...ohnmccargo.html

Per KFFL

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports North Carolina State DT John McCargo may be moving himself into the first round of the NFL Draft, according to some draft experts. One coach even said that McCargo is a better player than his college teammates, DE Mario Williams and DE/LB Manny Lawson, even though he won't be drafted ahead of them.

It would be very interesting if he doesn't go in the 1st rd. Could this be our 2n rd pick?

661667[/snapback]

Yhe better course of action for building a Bills team capable of getting more Ws may be to trade down from #8 and fet extra picks that can increase the competition at DT.

It looks doubtful that any franchise players will be available for us at #8, but if a player who would set back our team building because they serve little value for us at their position (and thus would penalize us by not only skipping filling a need with a 1st round pick but also force us to waste cap dollars by sitting a player we are paying a bunch for) makes trading down an even better option.

Players such as Vernon Davis, Vince Young, or AJ Hawk are great players who would really set back our team building if we took them. One of these players might slip down to #8. and folks with a mid-round pick might be so enticed to trade up to get one of these players that if we got extra resources like an early second, trading down may be the best option for us.

Yhe better course of action for building a Bills team capable of getting more Ws may be to trade down from #8 and fet extra picks that can increase the competition at DT.

It looks doubtful that any franchise players will be available for us at #8, but if a player who would set back our team building because they serve little value for us at their position (and thus would penalize us by not only skipping filling a need with a 1st round pick but also force us to waste cap dollars by sitting a player we are paying a bunch for) makes trading down an even better option.

Players such as Vernon Davis, Vince Young, or AJ Hawk are great players who would really set back our team building if we took them.  One of these players might slip down to #8. and folks with a mid-round pick might be so enticed to trade up to get one of these players that if we got extra resources like an early second, trading down may be the best option for us.

661687[/snapback]

Still not buying your nonsense that getting playmakers actually hurts the "team".

What is this nonsense about "setting back the team"? I don't think the Bills are going to draft Davis but he would be tremendous value-added at TE. Same with Hawk at SLB over Posey.

Players such as Vernon Davis, Vince Young, or AJ Hawk are great players who would really set back our team building if we took them.  One of these players might slip down to #8. and folks with a mid-round pick might be so enticed to trade up to get one of these players that if we got extra resources like an early second, trading down may be the best option for us.

661687[/snapback]

What is this nonsense about "setting back the team"?  I don't think the Bills are going to draft Davis but he would be tremendous value-added at TE.  Same with Hawk at SLB over Posey.

661802[/snapback]

Far be it from me to attemp to read the mind of the gal, but I think what he's saying is...we have a ton of holes to fill, and getting one playmaker isn't going to do it. Trade down a few slots, get a solid player who fills a need plus extra day 1 picks to fill in other holes. That said, setting back the team is a poor choice of words.

Far be it from me to attemp to read the mind of the gal, but I think what he's saying is...we have a ton of holes to fill, and getting one playmaker isn't going to do it.  Trade down a few slots, get a solid player who fills a need plus extra day 1 picks to fill in other holes.  That said, setting back the team is a poor choice of words.

661804[/snapback]

no- what he's saying is that the Bills should be happy at a position if they have a bunch of players already signed and pass on a potential stud at that position because of too many bodies.

you win with playmakers - not with a buch of marginal players

I just don't understand how these players shoot up the draft boards when scouts have had several years to assess them & watch them play. :huh:

661671[/snapback]

I stated right on this board about a week ago that I thought McCargo was going to be one of those players that the internet mocks underrated. I think most of the time, we're not dealing with players shooting up the draft boards of real NFL teams. I think most of the time, the NFL teams already have these "risers" highly rated. It's the internet draft boards that have no clue what they're talking about.

I stated right on this board about a week ago that I thought McCargo was going to be one of those players that the internet mocks underrated.  I think most of the time, we're not dealing with players shooting up the draft boards of real NFL teams.  I think most of the time, the NFL teams already have these "risers" highly rated.  It's the internet draft boards that have no clue what they're talking about.

662662[/snapback]

I hear ya.

I disagree.  You win with coaching, conditioning, hard work and heart. And this team has lacked all 4 the last few seasons

662665[/snapback]

I agree with this 100%. On paper the last few years, few teams have had as much talent as the Bills. When you look at the Patriots, not many players really wow you. However, they have superior coaching that seems to get the most out of every player they bring in. Hopefully, Jauron and his staff will finally be the coaches who actually deliver.

I disagree.  You win with coaching, conditioning, hard work and heart. And this team has lacked all 4 the last few seasons

662665[/snapback]

You wouldn't have been saying that at the end of '04.

Also unfair on the Special teams unit (all 4 areas)

On top of all 4 areas, I think having a team of solid players/athletes with a handful of playmakers is also essential. When was the last time the Superbowl was won without playmakers?

When was the last time the Superbowl was won without playmakers?

662667[/snapback]

Never. Playmakers win championships, and the grunts support the playmakers... which is why I'm very happy to stay at #8 & take the best available player on the board. Hawk, Davis, or Huff would be great. :huh:

You wouldn't have been saying that at the end of '04. 

Also unfair on the Special teams unit (all 4 areas)

On top of all 4 areas, I think having a team of solid players/athletes with a handful of playmakers is also essential.  When was the last time the Superbowl was won without playmakers?

662667[/snapback]

Exactly- and a team like the Bills with limited financial resources to chase the few elite free agents MUST get its playmakers through the draft.