Beer aficionado's give me some beer to try...

I've recently put a keg of Fat Tire on tap at home. It is as fine a beer as I've had (without breaking the bank, like Chimay does...though the Chimay's KRC recommends in his post are some of the finest beers I've ever had).

660020[/snapback]

Just was drinking quite a bit of flat tire on tap while in Beaver Creek. Very good.

One suggestion that will get pounded here by the affcianodos, but what I have been drinking at home lately is Mich Ultra Amber. Granted, still a light, and prolly not as flavourful as some would like here, but for my everyday beer pretty good, and fairly cheap, at 8.99 a twelver here in VA.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried Moylan's Double IPA, its pretty darn good.

Others I'd recommend:

Southhampton's Secret Ale - a nice Alt beer

Great Divide's Titan IPA

Avery's 14'er ESB

Middle Ages Wailing Wench - a big IPA

Hoegaarden

Victory's Hop Devil

Ommegang's Three Philosophers - a bend of a belgian style quad with cherry lambic.

and for those in or near western Mass

Berkshire Brewing Company's Maibock Lager - very nice.

Just was drinking quite a bit of flat tire on tap while in Beaver Creek. Very good.

One suggestion that will get pounded here by the affcianodos, but what I have been drinking at home lately is Mich Ultra Amber. Granted, still a light, and prolly not as flavourful as some would like here, but for my everyday beer pretty good, and fairly cheap, at 8.99 a twelver here in VA.

660290[/snapback]

Don't ever let the snobs bust you. Drink what you like.

That said, Mich Amber is an attempt, but still sucks.

To me, I'd rather have three quality than 12 quantity. I get drunk off liquor.

That said, Mich Amber is an attempt, but still sucks.

To me, I'd rather have three quality than 12 quantity. I get drunk off liquor.

660298[/snapback]

Lordy, that has me laughing, can just the expression on your face when said. And I agree, still not very good, but sucks may be a bit strong. However, for those of us attempting to cut down our caloric intake whever we can, its a start. Saving bout 500 calories a day with this stuff :rolleyes:

Is that the musings of Plato? Perhaps Socrates?

660301[/snapback]

No, the musings of someone who would rather drink scotch or bourbon. I drink iced tea for refreshment. Not beer. The beer drinkers got it, they don't drink for the buzz, either.

That's good stuff for sure. My neighbor's wife won't drink beer, she claims that "all beer tastes the same". I tried to get her to drink all kinds of different beers such as Hoegaarden, hefeweizens, fruit beer, my homebrew and on an on. Nope. She wouldn't even try one.

We were invited over for dinner once and I brought along a bottle of Lindeman's Framboise and offered it up as "champagne". She tried it and loved it of course. She must have commented three or four times about how much she enjoyed it, until I told her that it was really beer, then it was "just ok".

Then she really got pissed when I told her how lambics are made. :rolleyes:

That's good stuff for sure.  My neighbor's wife won't drink beer, she claims that "all beer tastes the same".  I tried to get her to drink all kinds of different beers such as Hoegaarden, hefeweizens, fruit beer, my homebrew and on an on.  Nope.  She wouldn't even try one.

We were invited over for dinner once and I brought along a bottle of Lindeman's Framboise and offered it up as "champagne".  She tried it and loved it of course.  She must have commented three or four times about how much she enjoyed it, until I told her that it was really beer, then it was "just ok".   

Then she really got pissed when I told her how lambics are made.  :rolleyes:

660359[/snapback]

muahaha

The local brewpub here makes a very tasty lambic that's really strong.

Which begs the question, if you're beer tasting, how many samples can one try before the palate gets desensitized?

660776[/snapback]

It's not so many the number of samples as it is the styles of beer. For example in homebrew competitions you won't see the same judges sampling IPA's as well as milds since the IPA's will really skew their palates.

I've recently put a keg of Fat Tire on tap at home. It is as fine a beer as I've had (without breaking the bank, like Chimay does...though the Chimay's KRC recommends in his post are some of the finest beers I've ever had).

660020[/snapback]

Ive heard great things about Fat Tire, havent been able to find it here in WNY though.

Which begs the question, if you're beer tasting, how many samples can one try before the palate gets desensitized?

660776[/snapback]

NC pretty much addressed it. It depends on the style. IPA/IIPA will kill your palate pretty quickly, especially if there is not enough malt to balance the hops. At competitions, you have water and crackers to help cleanse the palate, but you will experience "palate fatigue" on the higher-hopped beers. APA's, you can do more of before you reach fatigue. Specialty beers can kill you, because the style guidelines are pretty much tossed out the window. You give a basic style that you used as a base, but it can morph into something unrecognizable.

The last homebrew competition I was at, I was working Stouts (morning session) and Ambers (afternoon session). The Stouts had 13 entries and the Ambers had 9. You have a small plastic cup with about 3 ounces in it. You sample that amount for each and sometimes need second samples in order to properly judge the beer. You then have the lunch break and can sample anything that is left. :P

It's not so many the number of samples as it is the styles of beer.  For example in homebrew competitions you won't see the same judges sampling IPA's as well as milds since the IPA's will really skew their palates.

660802[/snapback]

...and they will toss IPA/IIPA in the afternoon session, as well. They know the judges are pretty much useless after that category, so they do not want to burn them out early. :P