Bills-Schumer

I know a lot of posters here reserve some barbs for Chuck Schumer. He's not my favorite guy in the world, either, but I think as a senator he has his pluses and minuses.

What do all of you think about his apparent going-to-bat for Wilson and the Bills politically? Do you appreciate it? Do you feel as though it's merely posturing? Do you like his effort, regardless of your feelings about the man? I'm not looking to provoke here, I am somewhere in the middle on it.

I don't even know if Shumer is a dem or a repub, so let me start off with that.

But, it seems to me that he is stepping to the plate a little too late. It' now a big issue because Ralph and crew are starting to realize that they can't sell the team, and be solvent in WNY now. The debt load, and the fact that they lose revenue sharing is in the contract.

To me it's politics, and trying to win the hearts of WNYers knowing that there is noway that the team will remain in WNY beyond Ralph's life. It's too little way too late. This should have started before the new CBA was talked about and finalized.

I know a lot of posters here reserve some barbs for Chuck Schumer.  He's not my favorite guy in the world, either, but I think as a senator he has his pluses and minuses.

What do all of you think about his apparent going-to-bat for Wilson and the Bills politically?  Do you appreciate it?  Do you feel as though it's merely posturing?  Do you like his effort, regardless of your feelings about the man?  I'm not looking to provoke here, I am somewhere in the middle on it.

657473[/snapback]

Do you have a link or more details on what he is saying or doing?

Do you have a link or more details on what he is saying or doing?

657481[/snapback]

There are some of the Ralph whine stories on the front page. I have read through some of them. I won't sum up as you should read and get a taste for yourself.

There are some of the Ralph whine stories on the front page.  I have read through some of them. I won't sum up as you should read and get a taste for yourself.

657482[/snapback]

I only read the D&C article, but it sounds like he is doing what a Senator should do. I have no problem with it and I applaud him for it. We will see if it turns into just another political stunt, but right now it looks OK to me.

I know a lot of posters here reserve some barbs for Chuck Schumer.  He's not my favorite guy in the world, either, but I think as a senator he has his pluses and minuses.

What do all of you think about his apparent going-to-bat for Wilson and the Bills politically?  Do you appreciate it?  Do you feel as though it's merely posturing?  Do you like his effort, regardless of your feelings about the man?  I'm not looking to provoke here, I am somewhere in the middle on it.

657473[/snapback]

There are few politicians I hate more than Schumer. If he helps to keep the Bills here, I will refrain from badmouthing him ever again. I am very skeptical, but maybe he will surprise me. The guy absolutely loves to be in front of a camera and if he thinks this will win him some face time he may put some effort into this.

Perhaps if the senators made a full court press to help western New York back into economic viability, it could have a similar result. Granted, I don't live there anymore-but it's a little disconcerting to see so many people get cranked up on this issue but ignore so many others.

Is Buffalo dying through residential apathy?

Welcome to special interest politics.

This may be a taboo topic here, but please enlighten me how a $50 million - $100 million in state/county assistance to RW ranks with more pressing needs in upstate/WNY? Especially when you know that given Wilson's high operating income margin, most of that assistance is going to line his pockets? Where are the corporate welfare hawks on this issue?

Wilson is crying poverty because he knows that his profits are going to go down with the new CBA. Boo hoo.

Don't think for a second that's he's kept the Bills in Buffalo because he loves it so much. He's kept them in Buffalo because the team has earned him a very nice return, without risking too much capital.

If he moved the team to LA, he may actually have to spend some cash to compete.

One more thing, in comparing the good ol Ralphie with Modell & Irsay, people forget that those owners were asking for the same subsidies that RW has been getting. If they succeeded in getting the states to bend over, they wouldn't have moved. If NYS & Erie County said no to RW a few years back, he'd also been on the first Mayflower out of town.

At least the crooked Rigases were going to invest in downtown Buffalo to bring real jobs in. What's RW done for the region outside 8 Sundays a year?

This may be a taboo topic here, but please enlighten me how a $50 million - $100 million in state/county assistance to RW ranks with more pressing needs in upstate/WNY?  Especially when you know that given Wilson's high operating income margin, most of that assistance is going to line his pockets?  Where are the corporate welfare hawks on this issue?

Wilson is crying poverty because he knows that his profits are going to go down with the new CBA.  Boo hoo. 

Don't think for a second that's he's kept the Bills in Buffalo because he loves it so much.  He's kept them in Buffalo because the team has earned him a very nice return, without risking too much capital. 

One more thing, in comparing the good ol Ralphie with Modell & Irsay, people forget that those owners were asking for the same subsidies that RW has been getting.  If they succeeded in getting the states to bend over, they wouldn't have moved.  If NYS & Erie County said no to RW a few years back, he'd also been on the first Mayflower out of town.

At least the crooked Rigases were going to invest in downtown Buffalo to bring real jobs in.  What's RW done for the region outside 8 Sundays a year?

657555[/snapback]

That's our problem, isn't it? If we didn't care so much about this team (not RW, mind you, I'm talking about the helmets and the jersey and all the meaning these carry for the area and those who've been a part of it), we wouldn't be forced into rooting for Ralph as a bittersweet means to the end of keeping the Bills we love. The way most sports franchises make municipalities and states bend over to keep them sickens me, but given the choice of no Bills or an overly demanding Bills that stay in Buffalo, I'd choose the latter every time.

It's irrational and loathesome, but it's inextricably linked with fandom and that's the way it is. Perhaps there'll come a point when we just don't care enough. Certainly, more losing won't help. Who knows.

This may be a taboo topic here, but please enlighten me how a $50 million - $100 million in state/county assistance to RW ranks with more pressing needs in upstate/WNY?  Especially when you know that given Wilson's high operating income margin, most of that assistance is going to line his pockets?  Where are the corporate welfare hawks on this issue?

Wilson is crying poverty because he knows that his profits are going to go down with the new CBA.  Boo hoo. 

Don't think for a second that's he's kept the Bills in Buffalo because he loves it so much.  He's kept them in Buffalo because the team has earned him a very nice return, without risking too much capital. 

One more thing, in comparing the good ol Ralphie with Modell & Irsay, people forget that those owners were asking for the same subsidies that RW has been getting.  If they succeeded in getting the states to bend over, they wouldn't have moved.  If NYS & Erie County said no to RW a few years back, he'd also been on the first Mayflower out of town.

At least the crooked Rigases were going to invest in downtown Buffalo to bring real jobs in.  What's RW done for the region outside 8 Sundays a year?

657555[/snapback]

But, but, but........they're trying to keep the Bills in Buffalo. ;)

657555[/snapback]

Strictly monetarily, you may be right. But I think the Bills are extremely important to Buffalo on a real level, and the loss of the Bills would be the final nail in the coffin to the city. It's one of the only things that brings the city together, one of the only reasons why thousands return each year and spend the money they make in other cities in Buffalo, one of the only ways Buffalo competes with other major cities in both a real and psychological way, one of the only ways Buffalo can get any good national publicity whatsoever outside of depression and snow, a majority identity element of many Buffalonians, a major reason why hundreds of thousands of ex-Buffalonians retain their emotional connection to the city. It's a huge and irreplacable element to Buffalo that reaches far further than just monetary concerns. Oh, and it brings in more money than it takes away.

Strictly monetarily, you may be right. But I think the Bills are extremely important to Buffalo on a real level, and the loss of the Bills would be the final nail in the coffin to the city. It's one of the only things that brings the city together, one of the only reasons why thousands return each year and spend the money they make in other cities in Buffalo, one of the only ways Buffalo competes with other major cities in both a real and psychological way, one of the only ways Buffalo can get any good national publicity whatsoever outside of depression and snow, a majority identity element of many Buffalonians, a major reason why hundreds of thousands of ex-Buffalonians retain their emotional connection to the city. It's a huge and irreplacable element to Buffalo that reaches far further than just monetary concerns. Oh, and it brings in more money than it takes away.

658655[/snapback]

It all begins to change with our first Stanley Cup this year, Kelly. Believe it! :P

657473[/snapback]

Schumer actually has a very good staff and is responsive to WNY issues.

Hillary on the other hand :P

I know a lot of people don't like Schumer's politics on the national level, but I think that he has been very responsive to the needs of WNY. He has been very involved in the issues regarding the Peace Bridge and is pushing to get the "passport for Canada" idea overturned.

Brian Higgins, our Dem rep has also done a lot as a first term congressman. He is not only strongly supporting Ralph on his crusade, but also has been instrumental in getting the Power Authority to cough up money for their new 50 year lease as well as jumping into the battle to get the Buffalo Thruway Toll barriers removed.

And as far as special interest politics: I would much rather see them fight for the special interests of Buffalo Bills fans than the special interests of Big Oil, Big Pharm, etc.