Why do you think the team

scribo

Yes, we apparently have a new starting center. But other than making a run at one RFA, the Bills have yet to make any serious, visible moves to upgrade the offensive line, which we all know has been a huge weak-spot for the team for some time.

I am pretty dumbfounded by this inaction. I know there are some good prospects in the draft, but we all also know that drafting guys is never a sure thing. First, the guys we think are good may not be on the board where we want them. Second, and more importantly, no one is a sure thing. And, yeah, there are still some guys out there in free agency, and I realize the tactic Marv is using bringing people in, but the Bills really haven't had many o-linemen for visits.

So, I would really like to know if I am missing something here, or has Marv been blowing smoke when he says he knows the o-line needs to be seriously addressed?

Just wondering and hoping some of you great football minds can help clear this up for me.

I think it's simple, JMac & the Bills think more highly of the current OL players than everyone on this board does. They are probably happy with Gandy and Peters at OT with Jerman as back-up. With his ex-HC coming in, I don't think Villarial is going away anytime soon. They made no effort to re-sign Teague, so I believe they see Fowler at C as an upgrade, and like having Preston to b/u both C and G. That leaves LG, and I bet they feel that spot will be filled with a Day 1 pick, plenty of talent there to choose from.

I agree. There were some quality offensive offensive linemen available in free agency and I don't think we made anywhere near the serious run at some of them that we should have A Hutcheson or Neal would have been terrific anchor. Further this isn't the best draft for offensive lineman (although some will disagree) and while I do suspect we will get at least one starter from the draft we still have to play next season. I'm puzzled, but I figure Marv has a plan in mind. He may be looking at picking up some high quality younger free agents after the hullabaloo dies down, and there may be some method to that "madness". I've learned not to understimate Marv over time.

Yes, we apparently have a new starting center.

So, I would really like to know if I am missing something here, or has Marv been blowing smoke when he says he knows the o-line needs to be seriously addressed?

644201[/snapback]

I checked nfl.com's afc/nfc sinings - looks like only 10 linemen have changed teams.

Perhaps what's out there is no good and/or overpriced.

I don't think the Bills have ignored the OL. They brought in Stephen Neal, Jason Fabini, signed Reggie Wells to a failed offer, signed Melvin Fowler, and reportedly talked with Kevin Mawae early on.

They haven't ignored the line. They've just failed to sign people. Whether it was because they weren't willing to overpay or maybe they just didn't like what they saw; we'll never know. I predict our OL will look like this opening day:

LT - Jason Peters

LG - Mike Gandy

C - Melvin Fowler

RG - Chris Villarial

RT - Eric Winston (2nd Rd)

Which may not be bad.

I think it's simple, JMac & the Bills think more highly of the current OL players than everyone on this board does.  They are probably happy with Gandy and Peters at OT with Jerman as back-up. With his ex-HC coming in, I don't think Villarial is going away anytime soon. They made no effort to re-sign Teague, so I believe they see Fowler at C as an upgrade, and like having Preston to b/u both C and G. That leaves LG, and I bet they feel that spot will be filled with a Day 1 pick, plenty of talent there to choose from.

644222[/snapback]

I like this take, but I am not sold on it. I think too much is risked in this approach.

I checked nfl.com's afc/nfc sinings - looks like only 10 linemen have changed teams.

Perhaps what's out there is no good and/or overpriced.

644227[/snapback]

This may be the biggest place I am concerened. Teams have to overpay for som guys from time to time, and I think on the o-line is the perfect place for it, especially for the Bills. Other than Hutch, I don't think the bigger name o-linemen this year have been overpaid.

I don't think the Bills have ignored the OL. They brought in Stephen Neal, Jason Fabini, signed Reggie Wells to a failed offer, signed Melvin Fowler, and reportedly talked with Kevin Mawae early on.

They haven't ignored the line. They've just failed to sign people. Whether it was because they weren't willing to overpay or maybe they just didn't like what they saw; we'll never know. I predict our OL will look like this opening day:

644230[/snapback]

OK, so they had a few visits, but it produced nothing.

A new regime probably doesn't feel the urgency that we, the fans, feel.

644231[/snapback]

They should. I want to win now, and I have to believe Marv does, too.

I like this take, but I am not sold on it. I think too much is risked in this approach.

644242[/snapback]

I'm not sold on it either, but I'll at least wait to see what Day 1 on the draft brings us first before I get too upset about it.... if they'd only cut Bennie's fat ass, I'd feel a lot better about the OL.

Several points to consider:

(1) NO WAY was this management going to break the bank on a Hutchinson or a Bentley or a Shafer. Too many holes to fill across the organization.

(2) NO WAY was this management going to go after older players (cf. Runyan, Flanagan, et al). It does not fit their game plan of bringing in up and coming players.

(3) Management did make a valiant attempt at getting Wells. Give Marv some credit for that attempt!

(4) Management did bring in Neal and Fabini...who knows how those visits went...note that both have suffered from injuries...we can speculate all we want on those two...it is entirely possible that the team doctors felt that they were too risky to bring on board.

(5) Management did sign Fowler. Fits the mold of rebuilding.

(6) The draft is very deep on offensive line talent - especially the tackle position. We should be cautious on spitting nails until after the draft is completed.

[My only disappointment so far with the offseason has been that we lost out on Pickett to the Fudge Packers. I think that signing would have put us in great shape for the draft as far as flexibility is concerned.]

I'm not sold on the idea that there was a lot of O-Line talent to be had in this portion of free agency. I like the idea of Wells and I really wanted Neal, but other than that there wasn't anything that I felt was an achievable upgrade. I'm very interested in the draft and maybe what happens with the June 1 cuts. I really wanted Neal though.

The way to build a strong offensive line is to do it through the draft. The players available on the free agent market were for the most part in excess of 30, were on the downside of their careers and would provide only a temporary quick fix.

This team is being built for a long-term playoff run and Marv knows that 2006 will not be a playoff season. Therefore the approach is to shed age and bloated contracts for players whose skill level is either diminishing (Milloy, Adams) or just because of the team dynamic in 2006 will be under-preforming their contracts (Moulds, Campbell).

The free agent moves are designed to bring youth and speed to the team and prepare them for a 2007 playoff run.

The offensive line issues will be addressed in this draft. I expect the Bills to add additional draft picks by cleverly manuevering to gain more picks in the 2nd and 4th round.

I feel that when this draft is over the Bills will have drafted a defensive tackle, an offensive tackle, an offensive guard and a safety.

These are areas that we will address in the draft.

Yes, we apparently have a new starting center. But other than making a run at one RFA, the Bills have yet to make any serious, visible moves to upgrade the offensive line, which we all know has been a huge weak-spot for the team for some time.

I am pretty dumbfounded by this inaction. I know there are some good prospects in the draft, but we all also know that drafting guys is never a sure thing. First, the guys we think are good may not be on the board where we want them. Second, and more importantly, no one is a sure thing. And, yeah, there are still some guys out there in free agency, and I realize the tactic Marv is using bringing people in, but the Bills really haven't had many o-linemen for visits.

Just wondering and hoping some of you great football minds can help clear this up for me.

644201[/snapback]