Hey Ice...How suprised are you by

Mikie2times

I remember around draft time you thought he would be a bust, I agreed with you back then. Now it looks like he may have the most successful season of any rookie this year. At the time his inability to come up big against good teams and the fact that he was injury prone sent up the red flag. Guess we both missed the boat on that one.

The difference between Evans and Williams is that Willaims is pretty much the go to guy there, especially with Rogers out for the season. The coaches have no choice but to make him the #1 option in the passing game (I doubt that T. Streets is their #1 guy, but I dont watch their games, so I'm just speculating).

Evans is not even listed as the #2 here, being behind Reed, so the opportunities for him are less, especially when E. Moulds is the #1 guy. I think once Evans is put into the gameplan some more, and is offically the #2 guy, you'll see the things he's capable of. I think this is all just a case of how the coaches use these two players and not necessarily that Evans is a bust in comparison to Williams.

And how do you figure? Again a senseless post.

Lee Evans is not having the impact that a roy williams is for two reasons...

1) (as another poster eluded to) RW is THE go to guy in Detroit.

2) He isn't being thrown to. I have seen two games (One in person) when Lee Evans is WIDE open, only to have the ball FORCED to Eric Moulds. If the man isn't thrown to he can't put up numbers.

That is the reason for RW having better numbers than LE and the ONLY reasons. "not mentally ready" is pure crap.

Now to the original question. Yes I am. I am VERY Suprised. When RW met adversity against OU he folded. Some will say he put up this number and that..but he had ZERO impact plays including touchdowns. Some will say "It was the offenses fault" or "Chris Sims fault" or whatever. Well RW had no problems with ANY team other than OU.

Hey I am happy for RW. I actually would like to see the lions do well. RW will have to be a major part of that if they are to start contending for a playoff spot.

Well lets clarify that statement. If he can be the eric moulds from say 98 and 2000 or so, then yeah I think he can be special. The Eric moulds of now is a shell of his former self.

Lee Evans on the same theme as you present can be the next Marvin Harrison. Same speed, routes, hands and brains. BOTH WR's have the ability to become top 5-10 WR's for a long time in this league.

And how do you figure?  Again a senseless post.

Lee Evans is not having the impact that a roy williams is for two reasons...

1) (as another poster eluded to) RW is THE go to guy in Detroit.

2) He isn't being thrown to.  I have seen two games (One in person) when Lee Evans is WIDE open, only to have the ball FORCED to Eric Moulds.  If the man isn't thrown to he can't put up numbers.

That is the reason for RW having better numbers than LE and the ONLY reasons.  "not mentally ready" is pure crap.

Now to the original question. Yes I am. I am VERY Suprised. When RW met adversity against OU he folded.  Some will say he put up this number and that..but he had ZERO impact plays including touchdowns.  Some will say "It was the offenses fault"  or "Chris Sims fault" or whatever.  Well RW had no problems with ANY team other than OU.

Hey I am happy for RW. I actually would like to see the lions do well. RW will have to be a major part of that if they are to start contending for a playoff spot.

47370[/snapback]

I think that it will be interesting just how the ball distribution will be when JPL takes over the reigns of the offense....you are not the first person I have heard say Evens was open.....

I think that it will be interesting just how the ball distribution will be when JPL takes over the reigns of the offense....you are not the first person I have heard say Evens was open.....

47381[/snapback]

Honestly John I sat right next to guys at the home opener that saw the same thing. BOTH moulds and Evans would run about 11-12 yard hook in's. Bledsoe would lock onto moulds and fire away even with 2 men on him and a man 7 yards past Evans. Not to meantion that either Shaw or Reed would be damn near wide open in the slot.

Bledsoe has a habit of locking onto Moulds and ignoring other WR's. OPEN wr's.

These are the types of things I cannot see on the TV....

Ice....do you see Evens getting seperation from his coverage?  Is his speed giving his man fits?

47391[/snapback]

What I am seeing is this, his quickness and ability to run routes isn't really giving any one fits, but he IS getting open. right now as a rookie you can't ask for more.

As for his pure speed, I can only think of maybe 3 times the Bills have allowed him to use it. Seems when he does the result has been good.

I did not intend this post to be a comparison to Lee Evans as I think comparisons of young players are only good when your comparing two players we had an opportunity to draft. Roy Williams was selected way before Evans so saying we made a mistake by not drafting Williams wouldn't make much sense.

A few people started the comparison under this thread and since I disagree with most of the arguments being made I'm gonna go on a little rant now. Obviously if a player does not get enough looks threw out the course of a game he is not going to be able to produce, and yes that has been the case so far with Evans. However being from Lions country I have had the chance to see Williams play quite a bit, and IMO to compare him at this point to any receiver in this draft would not be doing him justice. I just can't picture a scenario were Evans is a Lion and produces at even half the level Williams has in these first three games.

This is were Williams currently ranks with the rest of the league

Receptions 14th, Yards 7th, TD's 3rd.....He is also putting up 16.3 yards a catch

Now whether or not he is the Lions main receiver he is putting up pro bowl numbers, you can't justify those stats by just saying he gets plenty of looks. Stats do sometimes lie but if you have followed the Lions thus far or just seen highlights I'm sure your jaw has dropped more the once at a play Williams has made. Maybe I'm sounding like the president of the Roy Williams fan club but I really am shocked at what he is doing in Detroit right now, especially considering I thought he would bust.

I did not intend this post to be a comparison to Lee Evans as I think comparisons of young players are only good when your comparing two players we had an opportunity to draft. Roy Williams was selected way before Evans so saying we made a mistake by not drafting Williams wouldn't make much sense.

A few people started the comparison under this thread and since I disagree with most of the arguments being made I'm gonna go on a little rant now. Obviously if a player does not get enough looks threw out the course of a game he is not going to be able to produce, and yes that has been the case so far with Evans.  However being from Lions country I have had the chance to see Williams play quite a bit, and IMO to compare him at this point to any receiver in this draft would not be doing him justice.  I just can't picture a scenario were Evans is a Lion and produces at even half the level Williams has in these first three games.

This is were Williams currently ranks with the rest of the league

Receptions 14th, Yards 7th, TD's 3rd.....He is also putting up 16.3 yards a catch

Now whether or not he is the Lions main receiver he is putting up pro bowl numbers, you can't justify those stats by just saying he gets plenty of looks.  Stats do sometimes lie but if you have followed the Lions thus far or just seen highlights I'm sure your jaw has dropped more the once at a play Williams has made.  Maybe I'm sounding like the president of the Roy Williams fan club but I really am shocked at what he is doing in Detroit right now, especially considering I thought he would bust.

47446[/snapback]

Now Kzoo you can't do that. You can't say "well you can't compare him because..." YES you can and YES you must. What if Lee Evans was in Detroit? What if he was Joey's #1 target? I bet the numbers would be the same. You MUST take several things into consideration and the fact that as a rookie he is the #1 target of the detroit offense DOES inflate his stats.

That said...he looks like a stud so far. 2 TD's against the Eagles D? Damn good in my book and no one is saying different.

I don't agree. With Tai Streets being the number two reciever you would think that R. Williams would get more coverage b/c he's the obvious go to guy. Especially with C. Rogers out.

Look at Peerless. He's the go to guy and he's done nothing.....

I don't agree. With Tai Streets being the number two reciever you would think that R. Williams would get more coverage b/c he's the obvious go to guy. Especially with C. Rogers out.

Look at Peerless. He's the go to guy and he's done nothing.....

48015[/snapback]

My point was this....I agree RW has really suprised me and I AGREE with Zoo...the kid is doing a hell of a job. My secondary point is I feel Evans is every bit as good and if given the same opportunities then he would be doing as well.