Immigration

The debate begins on Capitol Hill, fence....no fence, how far, documented, undocument..felon...guest workers, benefits, schooling, etc.

Just thought it would be interesting if we could find any conscensus on the board.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IMM...-03-26-20-55-12

My bet is that there won't actually be final passage or agreement on any bill, given the bipartisan dissention in the ranks. Still it should be interesting.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The debate begins on Capitol Hill, fence....no fence, how far, documented, undocument..felon...guest workers, benefits, schooling, etc.

Just thought it would be interesting if we could find any conscensus on the board.

My bet is that there won't actually be final passage or agreement on any bill, given the bipartisan dissention in the ranks. Still it should be interesting.

642922[/snapback]

Probably a safe bet, but everyone can say they "did something". This horse has been out of the barn way too long, and all anyone can see is a tail going over the horizon.

Probably a safe bet, but everyone can say they "did something". This horse has been out of the barn way too long, and all anyone can see is a tail going over the horizon.

642941[/snapback]

But if the right wing stuff gets close to passing it is going to cause the Republican heartburn with the Hispanic community. The LA protests didn't help, gins them all up and probably shores up the base for Dems, with the exception of South Florida. ExCubans will never vote Dem.

GOP was making significant inroads using religious issues.

642922[/snapback]

I bet before it's all over I'll suggest at least once that we should keep the illegal aliens and deport congress.

I mean...a bill to make illegal immigration a felony and illegal aliens subject to deportation. To make illegal immigration illegal. It's ALREADY !@#$ing illegal, you idiots!!!

Oh, well. At least it'll keep them from doing stupid sh-- like naming the second Tuesday in April "National Tube Sock Day" for a while. 0:)

Electrified fence all the way across the border. leave the fried ones there as a warning. If they make it through, then a moat with alligators in it.

Catch illegals, get a bus, put them on it. Drop them off at Tijuana.

Pull up to a Home Depot in California. Swarms of them at the curb.

I bet before it's all over I'll suggest at least once that we should keep the illegal aliens and deport congress.

I mean...a bill to make illegal immigration a felony and illegal aliens subject to deportation.  To make illegal immigration illegal.  It's ALREADY !@#$ing illegal, you idiots!!!

Oh, well.  At least it'll keep them from doing stupid sh-- like naming the second Tuesday in April "National Tube Sock Day" for a while.  0:)

642946[/snapback]

It is not a felony right now. If it becomes a felony, maybe the police and courts will actually have to deport some of the illegals. hopefully they will pass some regulations that prohibit illegals from receiving government welfare.

By the way, why do we have millions of people on welfare when we supposedly have "jobs that Americans won't do". Deport the illegal immigrants, spend some of the money America saves on streamlining the legal immigration process, and provide current welfare recipients with the jobs that the illegals were doing.

Oh look another liberal who waited until it became front page news, so he knew how to respond to an issue.

Why don't you try actually thinking about an issue and your response to it before you are handfeed a bunch of incomplete facts and BS from the mainstream media.

I know it's difficult, and you may have to read something beyond CNN, NYT, WP. But try it sometime, it's refreshing.

How are you going to get rid of 11 million?

That will take what, maybe six or eight cars, at least.

643171[/snapback]

Well it sounds like half of them are all packed into downtown LA right now. Why don't we set up a quick perimeter around the protest, then to get out each person has to show legal papers. Anyone left in the middle gets herded single file 100 miles or so south to the boarder.

What's so friggin hard? How come no one thinks outside the box anymore? 0:)

It is not a felony right now.  If it becomes a felony, maybe the police and courts will actually have to deport some of the illegals.  hopefully they will pass some regulations that prohibit illegals from receiving government welfare. 

By the way, why do we have millions of people on welfare when we supposedly have "jobs that Americans won't do".  Deport the illegal immigrants, spend some of the money America saves on streamlining the legal immigration process, and provide current welfare recipients with the jobs that the illegals were doing.

643159[/snapback]

So it's illegal, it's just not illegal enough. 0:)

Theres plenty of jobs that americans are doing, illegals are doing the work for less money and no benefits like health insurance, thats a big plus for buisness owners. So how do you compete in that enviroment, don't hire americans, unless they accept less money and no benefits.

So it's illegal, it's just not illegal enough0:)

643214[/snapback]

Evidently not illegal enough to actually deport anyone. Do you not understand the concept of varying degrees of crimes? If murder were a misdemeanor don't you think people would be offing each other at record numbers? You make something a felony so people think twice about committing the crime or aiding someone committing the crime.

Theres plenty of jobs that americans are doing, illegals are doing the work for less money and no benefits like health insurance, thats a big plus for buisness owners. So how do you compete in that enviroment, don't hire americans, unless they  accept less money and no benefits.

643233[/snapback]

Or conversely and more realistically, everyone in America is going to have to learn how to pay more for stuff. That's the logical outcome, to me anyway.

Oh look another liberal who waited until it became front page news, so he knew how to  respond to an issue. 

Why don't you try actually thinking about an issue and your response to it before you are handfeed a bunch of incomplete facts and BS from the mainstream media. 

I know it's difficult, and you may have to read something beyond CNN, NYT, WP.  But try it sometime, it's refreshing.

643165[/snapback]

Who the hell are you replying to? If it's to the original post, then you're anger is pretty misplaced.

642922[/snapback]

Where in that post is he making any grandiose liberal statements? Where in that post is he parroting anything from your list of "mainstream media" (VABills interpretation = media with a liberal bias)? In fact, the post reads like he's just trying to elicit a reasonable discussion on the topic. We can't discuss these topics on a Politics, Public Policy board?

The real issue that is causing all the concerns is the fact that the REAL ID law takes effect in 2008. People are just starting realize that states as of 2008 can no longer issue any form of ids (drivers license, etc...) It also mandates that states set the expiration date to the last date on a visa if someone come here "legally" via a work visa or student visa.

People are going to have a lot harder time getting any documentation in 2008 and that is why is it the "new abortion" issue.

In addition, a big issue now is the children of illegal immigrates who are born here. By law, 14th amendment, these children are US citizens. So while the US can, and should export the parents, what to do with the children?

So it's illegal, it's just not illegal enough0:)

643214[/snapback]

It is like the UN, where if you do not abide by a resolution, they will just create another resolution.

"It is illegal now and so help us, if you do not follow the law, we will make another law. That will show you."