If you have Vonage (or any VOIP)

Problem with 911 on cell phones is that they dont provide an exact location. When you call from a cell phone they can get your GPS location, but if you are in a multi-story building you're SOL. Also, they might be able to locate your neighborhood, but cant get a whole lot more specific in some cases...

This is why I am not yet ready to get rid of my landline (or switch to vonage).

Maybe it's just me.....

The biggest investment in your life and you don't have a security system with Fire/Smoke detectors that automatically calls the FD? Even if theft, etc. are not an issue where one lives, the fire detection/auto notification is worth the price. And there's a discount on homeowner's insurance.

What happened to them is awful but buyer beware. We are all trying to save $ but the information regarding all types of services is readily available and people choose not to research, ask the proper questions, or compare. Unless Vonage promised service via 911, I do not believe they should be held responsible.

I see a lot of people blaming others (people, companies, etc.) for their misfortunes when they made ill-advised or misinformed decisions where it was their responsibility to investigate the impact of their choice.

Vonage 911 Details

641560[/snapback]

Interesting.

I wonder if the guy did this when he signed up?

Vonage Provides 911

Because Your Safety Is Important

At Vonage, we provide a safe and reliable means of communication in times of emergency. Vonage 911 Dialing service operates differently than traditional 911, and because your safety is important to us, you'll just have to fill out a short form during the sign up process that tells us the street address where you will be using your Vonage service.

But... Then again... He was put on hold.

Interesting.

I wonder if the guy did this when he signed up?

Vonage Provides 911

Because Your Safety Is Important

At Vonage, we provide a safe and reliable means of communication in times of emergency. Vonage 911 Dialing service operates differently than traditional 911, and because your safety is important to us, you'll just have to fill out a short form during the sign up process that tells us the street address where you will be using your Vonage service.

But... Then again... He was put on hold.

641561[/snapback]

Sure he did, my clients fill out all the forms I send them and get them immediately back to me. :lol:

What a maroon... Why not have the fire department directly into a speed dial number?... Why go through 911?... I take there is a fire department in Chanhassen?

From what I glean... Chanhassen has about 20K residents... Being outside of Minneapolis, probably affluent?

Any help Fezmid...

641172[/snapback]

I'm not sure how affluent the town is -- I know that Edina and Eden Prairie (which are 'burbs right by Chanhassen) are very ritzy areas. Regardless, they have to have their own fire department, and I'm sure the housing isn't cheap (can't really get much of anything around here for less than $150,000). There's a really nice dinner theater in Chanhassen too. That's about all I know though :lol:

If the house was burning down while he was in it, shouldn't he have left the house and called 911 (or similar)? I didn't think you were supposed to do that from your own house while it burned... :lol:

CW