The O Line

vegas55

:ph34r: Without question, the O line was our biggest issue last year and for several years. Last years season opener had Teague and Williams as starters. Both are gone, and who is going to replace them? Rather than improving the line, the Bills are going to be hard pressed to match last year's sorry performance. If our #1 pick goes to the D line, exactly what is the plan to improve the O line this year. All rookies? For all the noise about being active in the free agent market, Bills have only signed career reserves, including but one marginal O lineman

Fowler is a good Center. He holds up better against bigger DT's and can do everything TT better, plus he is a natural center. He is also very very smart, a former academic all-american.

If Preston starts at LG, that means Bennie Anderson isnt starting, thats a plus.

Right there, with those 2 moves, we already are better on the OL.

However, our biggest issue has been QB.

I like Peters at tackle, with his limited time and experience at that position he should a little last year that he had a future there. However we still need a stud left tackle, not just for are QB but for McGahee as well. Is Alexander the best back in the league, doubt it(although he is very good) having Walter Jones and Hutch played into his success. Lewis 2000 yard year he had Ogden, and all those years of Faulk he had Orlando Pace. I believe that QB is the most important position on the team, if you dont have a good line Johnny U would look like crap, and Dickerson would have about a two yard avg.

Well, there's still a lot of time before training camp starts to look at more FA's and draft a couple OL players....

but right now, my take is the Bills' brass thinks a lot higher of the current OL players than everyone on this board does. I bet they are "happy/willing to live with" 4 out of 5 starters (Gandy, Villarial, Peters, and now Fowler) & will be looking to add a Day 1 pick for the interior OL that can push Fat Bennie out of the line-up (and off the roster & out of town :doh: ).

Same is kinda true on the DL IMO, at least as far as the interior goes.... I bet they are a lot happier with Tim Anderson than this board is.

The OL will stink as long as there is not a good QB and a good system they are blocking for.

640089[/snapback]

The QB will stink as long as there is not a good OL and a good system he is pasing and handing off for.

See: Just about any QB who did well early in his career.

The Steelers' line made Rottenburger look 50 times better than he really is at this point. I'm not saying he is actually a worse QB than JP, but I am saying that I cannot believe is as superior to JP as one would think just comparing the two QBs' stats and W-L record.

The QB will stink as long as there is not a good OL and a good system he is pasing and handing off for.

See: Just about any QB who did well early in his career.

The Steelers' line made Rottenburger look 50 times better than he really is at this point. I'm not saying he is actually a worse QB than JP, but I am saying that I cannot believe is as superior to JP as one would think just comparing the two QBs' stats and W-L record.

640097[/snapback]

Keep thinking that.

During a QB's career, OL come and go, but the QB remains constant.

You need competent OL play, but you need better QB play.

No NO NO! The list is long but simply just think about two of the teams that beat us in our first and second Super Bowl. The superstar QB in those games was a Bill not a Redskin or a Giant.

No NO NO!  The list is long but simply just think about two of the teams that beat us in our first and second Super Bowl.  The superstar QB in those games was a Bill not a Redskin or a Giant.

640172[/snapback]

Very, very true. What did Hostetler do after he left the Giants and the safety of that great o-line? Zilch.

By the way, I'll take Marv's opinion over anyone here. He said recently the top three important positions for a footbal team are (in this order): D-line, O-line and then QB.

Well actually here in Buffalo it's been the opposite. We've gone through four QB's in the past five years, RJ, DB JP, & KH In all the cases, it was determined the QB was no good and we'd go to the next guy and the problem would be solved. Well we still seem to have the same problem. So maybe the problem is the line. I think that needs to be addressed first.

Having said that, I'm not too concerned where we are right now on the line. Sounds like this new center is an improvment over TT. So inside you have CV, Fowler and Preston. I think that's better than TT and BA last year. I also think JP (the lineman not the QB) will be better with a year under his belt. (and that is a big belt to fill) Particularlly I think he needs to improve his run blocking quite a bit. But there's promise and the only way for him to improve is to play him. There really weren't any stud LT out there to begin with so I'm OK with going with MG there for one more year and draft a LT in the second round. I've heard/read this years draft doesn't have much 1st round off line players, but a number of good ones should be there in Rnd 2. So go with MG for one year and let this guy step in at LT in 07.

I also would still keep looking for maybe a better guard than DP if he's out there as a free agent. I also would rather sign a guard rather than a tackle as typically the guard will come cheaper. But befoe I'd spend that money, I'd want to make sure the person truely is a step up from what Preston might give us.

Keep thinking that.

During a QB's career, OL come and go, but the QB remains constant.

You need competent OL play, but you need better QB play.

640147[/snapback]