Flanagan, Mike Green Bay

Fowler, Melvin Minnesota

Withrow, Cory Minnesota

Teague, Trey Buffalo

Pucillo, Mike Cleveland

Walter, Tyson Houston

McKinney, Seth Miami

Hallen, Bob San Diego

Still got some choices worth considering, but starting to run out of names. My picks are in bold.

I thought we would lose Wells to Az and we will probably lose that DE to Chicago. Don't understand why we would make some of our first few move to RESTRICTED FA's. These guys can't be the best and if they are the home team will just match our offers. All that work for nothing. Seems like some of the best left are OLD. But both of those NE guys we should be chasing, if at the very least, addition by subtraction. Plus, they have a ring and can play better then what we have now.

Tom Ashworth, Marcus Price and Tutan Reyes all should have been highlighted on that list.

Note: Bob Hallen was signed by Cleveland.

638359[/snapback]

Must have missed that somewhere along the lines...

Also, I forgot to post the current RFAs on the line...so here they are:

Tackles:

Pashos, Tony Baltimore 1st round comp

Wand, Seth Houston 3rd

Black, Jordan KC 5th

Tucker, Torrin Dallas Right of First Refusal

Hunter, Wayne Seattle 3rd

Guards:

Kooistra, Scott Cincy 7th

Freitas, Makoa Indy 6th

Manuwai, Vincent Jacksonville 3rd

Dielman, Kris San Diego 1st

Holland, Montrae New Orleans 4th

Dockery, Derrick Washington 1st

Centers:

I think that Marv is not done with looking at RFAs. There is still plenty of time left for him to take some more stabs at other teams' rosters. The one RFA that I would love for us to invite for a visit would be KC's T Jordan Black. He's a 4 year player from Notre Dame. He's got size, youth , experience and brains. He also backs up both tackles Willie Roaf and John Welborn. Better yet, he'll only cost a 5th rder. If he's as valid as I hope he is then that he would be a good value.

I'd be stoked over Runyan. He would solidify the left side this year, maybe the next one-two after that? But for how much? He lost a half step or so, but he can afford too. He is a blue collar, nasty SOB. He would be perfect for an incentive base offer. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good.

I'd be stoked over Runyan.  He would solidify the left side this year, maybe the next one-two after that?  But for how much? He lost a half step or so, but he can afford too. He is a blue collar, nasty SOB. He would be perfect for an incentive base offer. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good.

638409[/snapback]

I like Runyan a lot too...but he is a right tackle. Doubt he could make the switch, especially at this stage of his career.

That being said, I would still be all in favor of his signing.

I think that Marv is not done with looking at RFAs. There is still plenty of time left for him to take some more stabs at other teams' rosters. The one RFA that I would love for us to invite for a visit would be KC's T Jordan Black. He's a 4 year player from Notre Dame. He's got size, youth , experience and brains. He also backs up both tackles Willie Roaf and John Welborn. Better yet, he'll only cost a 5th rder. If he's as valid as I hope he is then that he would be a good value.

638402[/snapback]

I think KC is in a lot worse shape cap wise compared to Arizona and Chicago. Perhaps they would be less likely to match.

My take on RFAs is like using a draft pick on a more sure thing. Basically you know what you are getting at a pro level with the pick you give up. That being said, unless the player you are getting is already a proven star in the league I cant see spending above a 4th round pick for an RFA, except in Buffalo's situation this year where we have 2 third round picks.

For those advocating that we sign a FA OL that is young to sure up the line for years to come, while I like that idea, there just arent really that many this year. I think the best plan of attack at this point is to sign up depth and some solid roleplayers on the line this year via free agents and use 2 early picks to draft our lineman of the future.

I like Black for a 5th round pick...better than pretty much anything we'll find in the draft that late.

Quick FYI: where I listed the RFAs the number to the right is the compensation pick to be given in exchange for signing rights.

Some team is going to get a steal when they sign Tutan Reyes.  He's shown flashes of dominance along the Panthers O-Line, he's got all the skills to be a strong starter in the NFL.

638436[/snapback]

Never saw him play...but cant be any worse than what we presently have a guard.

I like the Fowler signing...at least for depth, but if I remember correctly he played pretty well the second half of the season as a starter.

Hopefully Buffalo can make at least 2 more OL signings, one tackle one guard. then we can grab a couple OL in the draft and hopefully be set.

Everyone seems to be looking at the big names. It just isn't a good idea. Most of those guys cost way too much for what they are worth at this stage of their careers. Larry Allen is probably a hall-of-famer but he should probably retire or give one last gasp for a Super Bowl contender.

638432[/snapback]

The Sabres have shown that you don't need big names to win. You can win with decent, if not outstanding, talent if you are able to meld it into cohesive units that play with intensity. The jury will be out all season.