Rd 3 of the draft: Whitworth or Colledge?

IndyMark

Is the wingspan / strength / durability of Whitworth better than the technique / meanstreak of Colledge?

Some 'experts' suggest their lower body strengths (or lack thereof) as a liability needing to be addressed. For those who are OL experts, are either of them 'convertible' to LT?

I ask, simply because I can see Marv loading up on OL at some point in the draft and yet, for 'value' purposes could see us taking a 'best player' available in the first round with the intention of selecting OL from that point on.

Next up would be figuring out a second round value OL pick.....

Tough call. I like both guys. Colledge is a very underrated player who I think can become a really good pro. Whitworth has the measurables, and is also very aggressive; he should be a heck of a run blocker! I suppose if I had to choose one, I'd say Colledge, but they're both solid prospects.

Is the wingspan / strength / durability of Whitworth better than the technique / meanstreak of Colledge?

Some 'experts' suggest their lower body strengths (or lack thereof) as a liability needing to be addressed.  For those who are OL experts, are either of them 'convertible' to LT?

I ask, simply because I can see Marv loading up on OL at some point in the draft and yet, for 'value' purposes could see us taking a 'best player' available in the first round with the intention of selecting OL from that point on.

Next up would be figuring out a second round value OL pick.....

632791[/snapback]

good question. The two guys have always confused me. I need some clarification!

Whitworth

Height: 6-7 | Weight: 334 | 40-Time: 5.15

Official Bio

Strengths:

A four-year starter with loads of experience against top competition...Very durable...Has good size and a big frame...Strong and physical player who overwhelms opponents...A mauler in the running game due to his size and attitude...Has a nasty demeanor on the field and plays to the whistle...Smart and technically sound...Team leader who is very coachable with top intangibles.

Weaknesses:

Is not a great natural athlete...Does not move real well and footwork is spotty at best...Struggles to get to the second level of defenders and to hit moving targets...Needs to play with better leverage and bend his knees more...Has trouble with speed rushers and is not a great pass blocker...Not as good as his press would indicate...Upside might be limited due to his physical shortcomings.

Notes:

Played left tackle in college but will be relegated to the right side at the pro level...Solid but unspectacular player who will never be a star but could come in and start for a long time...Is not flashy and what you see is what you get but if it's a big, physical right tackle you are looking for then this is probably your guy.

Colledge

Height: 6-4 3/8 | Weight: 299 | 40-Time: 5.04

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has a good frame and should be able to add some weight...Is a brilliant pass blocker...Very technically sound...An excellent athlete with great quickness who moves extremely well...Has a nasty demeanor on the field and plays to the whistle...Hard worker who wants to be great...Strong and Explosive...Is a stud in the weight room...Has a lot of experience and consistently grades out very well...Mature with top intangibles...Versatile and can play multiple positions.

Weaknesses:

Needs to add some weight and continue to bulk up for the next level...Must improve as a run blocker...Struggles with massive defenders and can get pushed back...Is still developing and not yet a finished product...Doesn't always play with proper leverage and knee bend...Did not always play against elite competition.

Notes:

Lightly regarded recruit from North Pole, Alaska who entered college at 235 lbs...Very raw coming out of high school and did not play football as a sophomore or junior...Started every game of his college career...Has the physical tools and natural ability to play the critical left tackle position in the pros which is coveted.

On second thought, I'll take either

632810[/snapback]

Really.

From THIS write-up, it sounds like Whitworth is the safe bet for a decent starter on the right side.

Cooledge might be GREAT...but he has further to go. Got to love a OL with a mean streak, though.

how ironic at this timing....i just finished reading about those two players in two draft pubs just now!! third round is correct.

while i like colledge, it was pointed out that his arms are too short and he allows de's to get to his body. i saw him control kiwi at the end of the year but they said he looked avg. in other games against top level competition. even suggested a move to guard would be in order.

whitworth is a solid, "safe" pick for a rt or possibly g. doesn't have the speed and quickness for lt. mature and committed and a hard worker. sounds like a levy-style pick. perfect value in the 3rd.

if or when we re-sign peters, he would be a solid depth guy or start at rt if peters moves to the lt.

with that said, i go with whitworth as a future rt as a sure thing rather than colledge.

late

colledge is the only other lineman that i can see doing a good job at LT in the pro's besides ferguson. He is an outstanding player that no one sees because of where he plays. If i had to compare him to someone, i would say logan mankins from last year, very tough, you just know he will be successful. I think he would be better at LG but i have no problem in him playing LT if the team needs one. great player.

i think we'll get a solid

DT

SS

OT

OG

C

with each of our 2nd and 3rd round picks.

if we can swap our 8th for a 20 ish 1st as well as 2 around 50 (viking picks) i'd like to see us get

bunk

mangold (or failing him that 2nd rated guy, spencer i think)

max jean gilles

one of the top rated RT guys who will fall

one of 3 or so SS guys who will be there and solid in the 2nd.

another stout DT

we could get 3 or 4 bigmen on day one who would play and improve our team year one.

combined with our skill and secondary core players, our team could be young and solid real quick