Moulds...below average?

inkman

I apologize if this has already been brought up but I was wondering if anyone agreed with this assesment.

Aaron Schatz / FootballOutsiders.com

Posted: 2 days ago

Buffalo Bills

Adventures in Self-Delusion

What about veteran wide receiver Eric Moulds? Moulds did not see eye to eye with the previous Bills regime, even getting suspended for a game during the 2005 season. His numbers have dropped in recent years, and he has an absurdly high cap figure of $10.85 million. The team asked him to take a pay cut, and he refused. The team planned on releasing him and moving on. But the new CBA changes things, and the team could theoretically keep Moulds under the new, higher cap. But why would they want to?

Moulds' "personal advisor," Greg Johnson, told the Buffalo News that "We believe Eric is a top-10 talent at his position, and he should be paid that way." Two questions: what is a "personal advisor" anyway, and who is this guy trying to fool?

Our advanced stats at Football Outsiders have ranked Moulds as a below-average receiver for three straight seasons; check out the 2005 numbers, and you'll find Moulds way down, ranked 56th in DPAR (Defense-adjusted Points Above Replacement) out of 89 receivers thrown at least 40 passes. Of course, poor quarterbacking can be partially blamed for Moulds' decline, but it is clear Moulds is no longer the best receiver on his team, let alone one of the top 10 in the entire NFL or even the AFC. (For fun, here's a list of 10 AFC receivers who are clearly better than Moulds, in random order: Hines Ward, Marvin Harrison, Deion Branch, Chad Johnson, Rod Smith, Randy Moss, Chris Chambers, Reggie Wayne, Eddie Kennison and teammate Lee Evans.)

I apologize if this has already been brought up but I was wondering if anyone agreed with this assesment.

Aaron Schatz / FootballOutsiders.com

Posted: 2 days ago   

Buffalo Bills

Adventures in Self-Delusion

What about veteran wide receiver Eric Moulds? Moulds did not see eye to eye with the previous Bills regime, even getting suspended for a game during the 2005 season. His numbers have dropped in recent years, and he has an absurdly high cap figure of $10.85 million. The team asked him to take a pay cut, and he refused. The team planned on releasing him and moving on. But the new CBA changes things, and the team could theoretically keep Moulds under the new, higher cap. But why would they want to?

Moulds' "personal advisor," Greg Johnson, told the Buffalo News that "We believe Eric is a top-10 talent at his position, and he should be paid that way." Two questions: what is a "personal advisor" anyway, and who is this guy trying to fool?

Our advanced stats at Football Outsiders have ranked Moulds as a below-average receiver for three straight seasons; check out the 2005 numbers, and you'll find Moulds way down, ranked 56th in DPAR (Defense-adjusted Points Above Replacement) out of 89 receivers thrown at least 40 passes. Of course, poor quarterbacking can be partially blamed for Moulds' decline, but it is clear Moulds is no longer the best receiver on his team, let alone one of the top 10 in the entire NFL or even the AFC. (For fun, here's a list of 10 AFC receivers who are clearly better than Moulds, in random order: Hines Ward, Marvin Harrison, Deion Branch, Chad Johnson, Rod Smith, Randy Moss, Chris Chambers, Reggie Wayne, Eddie Kennison and teammate Lee Evans.)

626542[/snapback]

Nothing anyone with an ounce of common sense and minimal football knowledge could have told you. Moulds is NOT worth waht he's due to make.

Nothing anyone with an ounce of common sense and minimal football knowledge could have told you. Moulds is NOT worth waht he's due to make.

626545[/snapback]

And that is the bottome line. Having said that you see a GM and coach looking build a strong foundation with young players.

I think they feel Moulds could be part of the plan but not at his current salary.

It's paycut or you're out, a restructure isn't part of the solution, not anymore.

Moulds has more value to the Bills than to any other team simply because of the dead cap space cutting him will cause. Perhaps RW thinks that having Moulds on the team might increase ticket sales, which is imo debatable.

To answer your question, he is probably about average, to slightly above. To be fair, it is hard to rate him because of the qb changes in the last 3 years. The thing is, I wouldn't consider Bledsoe a liability when making this assessment, because he liked to throw downfield. As for JP, he seemed to have done his best when he was able to get the football to Evans.

Moulds always could make the tough/very tough catch, although I never quite thought of him as sure handed. As WRs go, he was VERY strong and could break tackles with the best of them. His speed was fine but it seems to be declining.

Maybe a better question to ask would be, how much better would Moulds play on a stronger team? Also, is it worth it to hold onto Eric if this costs us a chance to sign one of the remaining UFA defensive tackles? Remember, were it not for the dead cap space of Williams and Moulds (if he is cut), the Bills would have had enough space to make an offer to Hutchinson.

In summary, Moulds would almost certainly play better on a stronger team, and the Bills would be well served to part ways with him and enjoy the cap space now, and better yet in 07.

Jmo.

The only question is whether Moulds is worth $5 million or whatever we would save by cutting him. His total number is irrelevant as the other half we will pay either way. I believe that in the current inflated market where a back-up TE with the dropsies can earn $2 million or whatever a year, Moulds is worth what he will cost the Bills.

626545[/snapback]

Sure, but do you think he is below average. He may not be a top 10 reciever anymore but I would consider him atleast above average.

with the QBS we got........he is lucky to be that

626782[/snapback]

His production might have been average but what does that have to do with his talent. JP and Kelly aren't exactly Peyton and Brady. If Moulds go elsewhere, I think he fares well.

The write-up appears to be from a fantasy football perspective. And for that standpoint, it is a fair assessment that he is a below average fantasy prospect, as aside from one or two years, his numbers have ALWAYS been subpar for a #1 WR.

Of course, there is more to being a good receiver than simply catching the ball and putting up numbers. His mere presence on the field means that he will draw attention, which means that Evans, Parrish, and now Davis should have some decent looks. Without Moulds on the field, the other guys' production all drops, which is the inverse of what you would logically think.

Still, if I am Moulds, then I see no reason to take a paycut. Seeing what Randle El just got -- and the lack of other top notch WRs on the open market, you have to expect that Moulds believes he will get some decent change. In fact, he probably becomes the consolation prize for whatever team does NOT wind up with TO (possibly Dallas, where he can be reunited with Drew) -- or to Philly as TO's replacement. Thus, the front office must decide whether they can live with his large cap number this year -- or prepare for entering the 2006 season without him. And, for the reasons I just cited, the prospects aren't good about a quality replacement if Moulds leaves.

In my mind, Moulds' departure could make it more likely that the team will draft Davis.

Moulds' contract currently extends beyond 2006, doesn't it? If it does, is there an advantage to cutting him now to save cap money next year? I'd rather take the hit this year and be clear of future dead money than be in this same position next year. I'd rather take a flyer on someone (maybe Davis will step up. maybe Parrish / Evans will get more experience without Moulds than with him) with the hopes of someone producing for the next 4 years rather than get Moulds for 1 more year. Plus, the $5 could be used on linemen where we really need help and money goes farther.