What should the Bills do?

Gambler

It is conceivable given recent developments that one of the big 3 QB prospects is available at #8. If so, should the Bills draft one of them?

Personally, I would hope they were there and give the Bills a chance to trade down and get a couple more draft picks on top of a premium lineman with the top pick.

If NO signs Brees this could happen. What would you do with the #8 pick in this situation?

626045[/snapback]

Let me edit this post for you..

It is likely given recent developments that one of the big 3 QB prospects is available at #8. If so, should the Bills draft one of them?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah well its always an interesting debate when a guy is hot coming out of college and going into the pro's. It seems every year holds a few dogs and a few gems.

For me, watching Leinart play UCLA, Arizona State, and especially Notre Dame didnt show me #1 the althleticism but more improtantly #2 the arm strength to be a good pro qb. He struggled against pro set cover 2 defenses who werent overwhelming teams athletically. Especially ND. Thats one thing Cutler and Young have are big live arms. Leinart doesnt have that. Not sure about Young running a pro offense though either.

626082[/snapback]

I guess he sucks, if you say so.

It is conceivable given recent developments that one of the big 3 QB prospects is available at #8. If so, should the Bills draft one of them?

Personally, I would hope they were there and give the Bills a chance to trade down and get a couple more draft picks on top of a premium lineman with the top pick.

If NO signs Brees this could happen. What would you do with the #8 pick in this situation?

626045[/snapback]

My opinion of the draft is this:

Priority 1: You look for players who have the chance to be great. Greatness gets weighted by position: Joe Montana gets more credit than Adam Vinatari.

Priority 2: You try to avoid players with major warning signs such as injury issues.

Priority 3: You fill a position of need.

Say a big three QB fell to the Bills. First the Bills would have to ask themselves whether they felt this QB had the potential to be the next Montana or Elway. If he does, the next thing you ask is whether there are major warning signs you should be aware of. The final question is whether QB is a position of need.

You'd hate to draft a QB in the first round if your starter was an elite QB in the prime of his career, because the chance that you'll upgrade the QB position by doing so is quite small. But the Bills are in a very different position, and there's an excellent chance that a top-3 QB from this year's draft could be an upgrade over Losman.

and there's an excellent chance that a top-3 QB from this year's draft could be an upgrade over Losman.

627044[/snapback]

Actually...no, there's not. This is a very mediocre group of QB prospects.

Regarding Young, I don't know that I'd necessarily draft him, but intelligence isn't everything. Mr. Bradshaw came into the NFL with an incredible rap about his lack of brain matter. And he, to this day, continues to show that his rep was well deserved as he is the epitamy of a bozo. But he also won a few games, I believe.

My opinion of the draft is this:

Priority 1: You look for players who have the chance to be great. Greatness gets weighted by position: Joe Montana gets more credit than Adam Vinatari.

Priority 2: You try to avoid players with major warning signs such as injury issues.

Priority 3: You fill a position of need.

Say a big three QB fell to the Bills. First the Bills would have to ask themselves whether they felt this QB had the potential to be the next Montana or Elway. If he does, the next thing you ask is whether there are major warning signs you should be aware of. The final question is whether QB is a position of need.

You'd hate to draft a QB in the first round if your starter was an elite QB in the prime of his career, because the chance that you'll upgrade the QB position by doing so is quite small. But the Bills are in a very different position, and there's an excellent chance that a top-3 QB from this year's draft could be an upgrade over Losman.

627044[/snapback]

If you draft for "greatness", as you put it, first, then you are on an endless carousel of losing. Because you will never allow players the luxury of developing before you draft their replacements the following year.

PTR

if theres anyone out there that thinks we should draft a QB in the first round you should just find yourself another team to root for cuz you dont know sh*t about this one. It makes no sense at all. If one falls to us, SO WHAT, you take the player you origionally wanted. If they arent there you can trade down, i dont know who i would want other than Bunkley if that happened but still, YOU DONT TAKE ONE.

626474[/snapback]

I'll step up for the personal attack. :)

I have no problem with the Bills drafting a QB early in the first round, especially if there is no good offer to trade down. I would rather a QB than reaching for a lineman because it's a need.

If anyone thinks that the Bills will become a playoff team because they picked a guard with the 8th pick in the draft you should just find youself another team to root for cuz you dont know sh*t about this one.

Unless Ferguson, Williams, or Davis falls to Buffalo trade down. Stay away from Ngata, D Tackles track record in the top ten is worse the QB (see Dan Wilkinson, Ryan Simms, Jamie Kennedy, and to a lesser degree Dewayne Robertson). Also stay away from Penn State Players they tend not to do well in the pros(see DJ Dozier, Kijana Carter, Jamie Kennedy,Courtny Brown, OJ McDuffie, and to Lesser Degrees Lavar Airington, and Kerry Collins). You Can Always Trade Down in the Draft and get Tackle from USC, or Gaurd form Georgia, or Bunkley, also Wroten from LSU may Be available in round two. As much as I like Lienert he has had the best talent in college around him and may not translate as a pro, and Losman needs another oppurtunity with a better O-Line. As much as AJ hawk looks amazing, the amount of Linebackers in the draft, and in free agency would not make sense bcause I feel that the amount gained in talent doesnt translate to the 8th overall selection when you can get value in later rounds or a good veteran at a modest price. That said if Buffalo takes Hawk I would Be excited, just think you can address more pressing needs with that pick.

I'll step up for the personal attack.  :)

I have no problem with the Bills drafting a QB early in the first round, especially if there is no good offer to trade down.  I would rather a QB than reaching for a lineman because it's a need.

If anyone thinks that the Bills will become a playoff team because they picked a guard with the 8th pick in the draft you should just find youself another team to root for cuz you dont know sh*t about this one.

627191[/snapback]

The idea of drafting a wuarterback with the #8 pick if you are the Bills is down right retarded. The Bills don't need a quarterback! If a quarterback does fall to us, guess what? The Detroit Lions are right behind us drafting in the #9 position. They are in dire need of a quarterback to rebuild their team, and they will draft the quarterback that falls to them. Buffalo can use this as an advantage and shop the pick before the Lions to any team that needs a quarterback.

So please just shut your motuh with you ignorance. I'm sorry to put it so bluntley, but for christ sake. Pull your head out of your @$$! WE DON"T NEED A QUARTERBACK!

If you draft for "greatness", as you put it, first, then you are on an endless carousel of losing.  Because you will never allow players the luxury of developing before you draft their replacements the following year.

627094[/snapback]

If you look at the first round of a given year's draft, you'll usually see a handful of players who have risen to greatness, a somewhat larger number of players who turned out decently, and a still larger number (about 50%) being busts to varying degrees. I feel teams should respond to this by seeking the types of players who have the potential to join that first, smallest category. By potential for greatness I don't merely mean physical attributes, but also the heart, toughness, and (depending on position) intelligence you'd need to be a great player.

You express concern that players would be replaced before they've been given a chance to prove themselves. It's one thing to not draft a player at a position of need. But you take things one step further by refusing to draft a player at a position that may or may not be a need. By this logic, the Bills shouldn't draft Davis, because Everett hasn't been given a chance to prove himself at TE. Never mind whether Davis has the potential to be a Hall of Fame TE.

To me, whether Davis will or won't be a great TE is much more interesting than whether Everett has or hasn't been given a chance to prove himself. Likewise, the question of whether Cutler or Leinart will become a Pro Bowl QB is much more relevant to me than whether Losman's been given enough of a chance.

At worst, you wind up in San Diego's situation. Had Brees not gotten hurt, San Diego could have franchised him and traded away Rivers. So it's not the end of the world if you have one too many good QBs on your roster. But it is the end of the world--or at least the end of any reasonable Super Bowl hopes--if you have one too few good QBs.

So please just shut your motuh with you ignorance. I'm sorry to put it so bluntley, but for christ sake. Pull your head out of your @$$! WE DON"T NEED A QUARTERBACK!

627375[/snapback]

I am not saying the Bills should draft a QB, but I found this interesting. The Bills need a QB according to the stats.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PYDS/2005/regular

Passing leaders.

I am not saying the Bills should draft a QB, but I found this interesting. The Bills need a QB according to the stats.

Passing leaders.

627457[/snapback]

Okay. But all the quarterbacks on that list were not splitting playing time with another guy like Losman was. I guess i understand what you are saying now, but i still think that Losman is hands down the future of the Bills. If he wasn't splitting time or hearing crap from people in Buffalo, i bet he could be atleast in the middle of the pack next year.

Passing leaders.

627457[/snapback]

Few would accuse me of viewing Losman through rose-colored glasses. But these stats don't make a meaningful case against him. It ranks QBs strictly on the basis of how many yards they accumulated over the 2005 season. Since the playing time was split 50/50 between Holcomb and Losman, neither Bills QB had a realistic chance of making this list.

Few would accuse me of viewing Losman through rose-colored glasses. But these stats don't make a meaningful case against him. It ranks QBs strictly on the basis of how many yards they accumulated over the 2005 season. Since the playing time was split 50/50 between Holcomb and Losman, neither Bills QB had a realistic chance of making this list.

627466[/snapback]

WOW...that's actually correct!

Bravo...another acorn. :)

627466[/snapback]

Amen.

627375[/snapback]

Hmm. I don't think I've ever said a bad word about Losman BUT to say we don't need a quarterback is pretty darn optimistic. Heck, I don't even think there is a consensus on the starter for next year. What have you seen that I missed that makes you scream we don't need a quarterback?

Here is a little bit of logic for you, if you can stop screaming for a minute:

Simply because our QBs are unable to succeed with the rest of the offensive talent on the team does NOT mean that our QBs will succeed with better talent.

If we have an opportunity to draft an elite QB and Levy/Jauron don't believe in Losman, I hope they draft him.