Robert Royal signed

Isn't this a huge problem though?  I mean, we bring in a guy who an opposing Defense KNOWS cant catch for crap, and every time he's in the game he'll just be the 6th O-Lineman on the field...they'll know the run is coming.

624664[/snapback]

Not necessarily. You could call a pass play, and keep Royal in to pass protect. Or you could have him run a route, use up a covering defender, and just throw to someone else instead. You could kind of keep defenses honest while this guy's on the field. $2 million a year is a little high for a one-trick TE, but at least he's young.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, enough of bashing this guy. I am calling out every one of you who said Gibbs didn't want Royal anymore. Prove your statement. I know for a fact Joe Gibbs has gone on the record saying he'd like to keep Royal, that Royal was impotant to the running game, and that Royal was important in the locker room. According to Sunday's Washington Post, the 'Skins were still trying to re-sign him Friday night, but we all know Snyder was too busy getting ready to wine and dine Todd Collins. As a few have already said here, we do not know how this deal is structured, so the Bills may not have actually paid as much for him as it appears. I am not one to blindly trust someone else's judgement, but I believe Marv and Dick made the right call on this guy. I think we're all going to be happy with this signing eventually -- OK, maybe not all, as some of you could NEVER be happy.

How about this philosophy? All of the "be patient" crowd loves to harp on us who hate the Royal signing. And don't get that confused with us liking the Davis and Triplett signing either.

But here's a novel thought. We NEED offensive lineman period. OK, now, we have super-freak Jason Peters on this team. We have cap room. Marv covets a blocking TE. We also need a TE period. All I hear about is how Peters practically walks on water and is a super human athlete with all kinds of skills that never really show. But nonetheless, they have to be right, so many coaches harp on it, so we'll assume it to be true.

How about this.....we DO NOT spend money on Davis and Triplett at first. We instead should have aggressively targeted young O-Line players like Bentley, Shaffer, Hartwig, and maybe even Shelton and the like.

Move Peters to TE where he belongs in the first place. Seems to me, your blocking TE with good athletic skills is already on this team. Take all that cap money we have, and would have saved, with not signing Royal AND SPEND IT ON THE LINE. We probably could have gotten three young lineman with 17 plus million. At least two. And with signing maybe only two, we still would have room to get Davis and Triplett. Cut Moulds, Posey, Vincent and Anderson, and we could even go get Pickett too.

But no. We are the Bills, and we are making the same mistakes, over and over and over and over. We need Peters at tackle, not entirely because he is average, but because he comes cheap. Another piece-mealed cheap offensive lineman.

But hey, cheap on the lines are the Bills way. And it's gotten us so far.

But hey, cheap on the lines are the Bills way.  And it's gotten us so far.

630431[/snapback]

It's the Pats way, too. The difference is they've been better talent evaluators that TD and company over the past few years.

Good scouting & management has always been the best way to seperate from the croud. The Bills haven't had much success (or luck) on their O-line decisions and simply throwing cubic $$$$ at a position rarely works out (see the Lions as an example).

We need better talent evaluators at OBD. I hope Modrak's up to the challenge now that he's out from under TD.