Jets close to acquiring Ramsey

Man do these two teams have a direct line to each other like the White House and the Kremlin used to? They pratically swap rosters with each other every fuggin year. WTF? It's like those two guys in your fantasy league who will only deal with each other (and both of them suck).

The Jets will have two QB's but no O-line to block for them.  Sounds like their fan boards are making their personnel decisions. :lol:

PTR

623567[/snapback]

Wasn't that obvious when they ran Herman Edwards out of town?

Edwards was horrible. Great with the media, couldn't manage a game to save his life. He is so overrated.

623584[/snapback]

Good call.

Being able to scream at television camera's doesn't make someone a good coach. Edwards is the laughing stock of the league when it comes to game management.

Actually, Herman Edwards is perhaps one of the most astute clock-managers in the League. Its only morons who believe in things like calling a timeout before kicking a field goal with 15 seconds left instead of 5 seconds left, in case there's a bad snap, who think that Herman Edwards has bad clock management.

JDG

Actually, Herman Edwards is perhaps one of the most astute clock-managers in the League.    Its only morons who believe in things like calling a timeout before kicking a field goal with 15 seconds left instead of 5 seconds left, in case there's a bad snap, who think that Herman Edwards has bad clock management.

JDG

623603[/snapback]

Are you serious? Did you watch the Jets last year? They brought in a friggin guy to MANAGE THE CLOCK because Herm was so bad at it. Calling Herm "One of the most astute clock managers in the league" is one of the most ridiculous statements I've seen on this board. Thats friggin classic.

RTB

Are you serious? Did you watch the Jets last year? They brought in a friggin guy to MANAGE THE CLOCK because Herm was so bad at it. Calling Herm "One of the most astute clock managers in the league"  is one of the most ridiculous statements I've seen on this board. Thats friggin classic.

RTB

623616[/snapback]

The Jets have had such a person for a long time, and it reflects the emphasis that Herm Edwards places on managing the clock.

I stand by my statement. If you want to bring out examples, I'll address them.

JDG

Actually, Herman Edwards is perhaps one of the most astute clock-managers in the League.    Its only morons who believe in things like calling a timeout before kicking a field goal with 15 seconds left instead of 5 seconds left, in case there's a bad snap, who think that Herman Edwards has bad clock management.

JDG

623603[/snapback]

Read this article. :lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1923625

What about it?

623687[/snapback]

"Somehow, Jets coach Herman Edwards allowed his team to lose another game because of clock management issues and questionable play calling."

The article then says...

"Edwards did all he could in the offseason to avoid the same problems that have plagued his teams throughout his four-year tenure. He assigned assistant coach Dick Curl to concentrate solely on time management, and drew up countless late-game scenarios for how to handle the clock in any situation."

That refutes everything you have said.

"Somehow, Jets coach Herman Edwards allowed his team to lose another game because of clock management issues and questionable play calling."

The article then says...

"Edwards did all he could in the offseason to avoid the same problems that have plagued his teams throughout his four-year tenure. He assigned assistant coach Dick Curl to concentrate solely on time management, and drew up countless late-game scenarios for how to handle the clock in any situation."

That refutes everything you have said.

623691[/snapback]

Actually, I think that the clock management in this game was decent - albeit not excellent. What Herman Edwards understands, and what far too few NFL observers understand, is that football becomes a completely different game when you have four downs to get 10 yards vs. 3 downs.

The bulk of the criticism against Herman Edwards seems to be letting 32 seconds tick off the clock on 1st and 4. That just shows the ignorance of the AP writer in this case. With three timeouts, the Jets were correctly positioning themselves to be the last team with the ball, and to not give Baltimore any chance for a miracle. Either the Jets would score a TD, or they would kick a chipshot as time expired.

The only reason it didn't work is because they were playing a QB who hadn't even been to training camp with them, and who is a bit of a head case, and he screwed up the third-down play, blowing a timeout.

JDG

Actually, I think that the clock management in this game was decent - albeit not excellent.  What Herman Edwards understands, and what far too few NFL observers understand, is that football becomes a completely different game when you have four downs to get 10 yards vs. 3 downs.

The bulk of the criticism against Herman Edwards seems to be letting 32 seconds tick off the clock on 1st and 4.  That just shows the ignorance of the AP writer in this case.  With three timeouts, the Jets were correctly positioning themselves to be the last team with the ball, and to not give Baltimore any chance for a miracle.  Either the Jets would score a TD, or they would kick a chipshot as time expired. 

The only reason it didn't work is because they were playing a QB who hadn't even been to training camp with them, and who is a bit of a head case, and he screwed up the third-down play, blowing a timeout. 

JDG

623741[/snapback]

You're missing the whole entire point. This isn't a one game situation. Look up old copies of the NYPost or NYDailyNews.

I like how EVERYONE else is wrong here (and is either ignorant or a moron), and you're correct. :doh::lol:

You're missing the whole entire point. This isn't a one game situation. Look up old copies of the NYPost or NYDailyNews.

I like how EVERYONE else is wrong here (and is either ignorant or a moron), and you're correct.  :doh:  :lol:

623763[/snapback]

I have a friend who is a huge Jets fan - so I have examined almost every one of these famous incidents right as they happened. In several cases, like the Jets-Baltimore game linked above, I was actually watching the whole game in question with my friend. I understand your skepticism, about one fan claiming to be smarter than the whole media, but in this case it is true. Bring up any other of the famous "Edwards mismanagement cases", and I'll defend Edwards almost every time.

Let me give you another example... I guarantee you that next year Al Michaels will *still* suggest "leaving time on the clock in case of a bad snap" in the event of a game-winning field goal, even though a kick return for a TD is a far more likely scenario than a bad snap. But Al Michaels will still suggest it (and I like Al Michaels.)

This is just a rare case of the conventional wisdom being dead wrong. Clock management is not easy, as it requires a knowledge of statistics... and knowledge of statistics is in terribly short supply among sportwriters. That's how the media's collective wisdom has ended up being so wrong.

Its no secret that as soon as Edwards was given the boot that he was snapped up by one of the smartest organizations in football.

JDG

The Jets will have two QB's but no O-line to block for them.  Sounds like their fan boards are making their personnel decisions. :lol:

PTR

623567[/snapback]

If that's the case then their team, will be like the Bills were last year, 5-11 and no o-line. Their HC, Mangini, will be like Mularkey with the Bills, a huge mistake!

Redskins | Close to trading Ramsey?

Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:14:04 -0800

David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports the Washington Redskins and the New York Jets were believed to be in talks to complete the trade of QB Patrick Ramsey to the Jets for a 2006 draft pick late Tuesday, March 14.