It's Official...(for those who don't PPP)

WHY?

Every other industrialized nation on the planet defends their economic interests to the hilt. All of a sudden WE do it and its bad?

I dont get that.

622920[/snapback]

Funny, this whole thing had absolutely nothing to do with economic interests. It was solely about a bunch of terrorists taking over operations of our ports. :rolleyes:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe for you.

Do you think that there can be other ramifications?  What else does this effect?

622922[/snapback]

It absolutely has ramifications. There is not much more I can add over what BiB has already said here.

It absolutely has ramifications. There is not much more I can add over what BiB has already said here.

623215[/snapback]

You may also add the potential slowdown of foreign investment in the US and what that may do to the US economy.

You may also add the potential slowdown of foreign investment in the US and what that may do to the US economy.

623252[/snapback]

There is also that.

All of this over a knee-jerk reaction by ill-informed and short-sighted Congresscritters. You know, there is an organization here in Pennsylvania called Clean Sweep. They were ticked over the pay-raise issue and called for a “clean sweep” or full house-cleaning of state Congresscritters. I think the same thing needs to be done on the national level.

Funny, this whole thing had absolutely nothing to do with economic interests. It was solely about a bunch of terrorists taking over operations of our ports.  :rolleyes:

623214[/snapback]

YOU MEAN THIS WHOLE THING IS NOT ABOUT ECONOMIC INTERESTS!!!???!!

YOU MEAN........I WAS MISLED BY MY ELECTED OFFICIALS?????!!!???

YOU MEAN THIS WHOLE THING IS NOT ABOUT ECONOMIC INTERESTS!!!???!!

YOU MEAN........I WAS MISLED BY MY ELECTED OFFICIALS?????!!!???

623286[/snapback]

You were lied to by elected people who put short sighted personal gain over the interests of the country. The real irony is now we are LESS safe than we were. Thank you Congresscritters.

As a person of Arab Emiratian descent, this discussion has been very difficult to read.

623080[/snapback]

I am sorry if people thought I was serious. Didn't mean to make you feel bad. I was joking b/c I didn't think there was a particular ethnic group associated only with the country. I realize now that it was a rather opaque and stupid joke. (And it was a joke that wasn't supposed to be aimed at anyone...) Sorry to anyone I offended.

I am sorry if people thought I was serious. Didn't mean to make you feel bad. I was joking b/c I didn't think there was a particular ethnic group associated only with the country. I realize now that it was a rather opaque and stupid joke. (And it was a joke that wasn't supposed to be aimed at anyone...)  Sorry to anyone I offended.

623296[/snapback]

I wasn't offended, and don't think anyone else was. Except many Arabs should be.

I am sorry if people thought I was serious. Didn't mean to make you feel bad. I was joking b/c I didn't think there was a particular ethnic group associated only with the country. I realize now that it was a rather opaque and stupid joke. (And it was a joke that wasn't supposed to be aimed at anyone...)  Sorry to anyone I offended.

623296[/snapback]

I was far less offended by that than I am the whole "Keep the sand !@#$s out of our ports!" issue. :rolleyes:

Of course, I am trying to send e-mails to all of my representatives and the Senate site is not working. :rolleyes: The House site seems OK and I sent a nasty e-mail to my Rep. I just need to now contact my senators.

These people are really pissing me off. :doh:

Why are we LESS safe ?

623393[/snapback]

UAE's discussed limiting basing rights for the US, for one. Reduces our presence in the Persian Gulf.

Other than that...what, you don't think treating the Arabs like second-class citizens is going to have reprucussions well beyond the UAE? We just stood up to the Muslim world and said "See, Osama's right. We DO discriminate against you!" :rolleyes:

Of course, I am trying to send e-mails to all of my representatives and the Senate site is not working.  :rolleyes:  The House site seems OK and I sent a nasty e-mail to my Rep. I just need to now contact my senators.

These people are really pissing me off.  :doh:

623398[/snapback]

Good idea, I think I'll do that too. I've only sent emails off to the UAE embassy in DC and government encouraging them to restrict if not cancel their business dealings with American companies in protest over our racist attitudes.

Of course, since the free trade talks between the US and UAE have been postponed as of half an hour ago, they're probably way ahead of me. But hey...this enhances security! :doh:

Good idea, I think I'll do that too.  I've only sent emails off to the UAE embassy in DC and government encouraging them to restrict if not cancel their business dealings with American companies in protest over our racist attitudes.

Of course, since the free trade talks between the US and UAE have been postponed as of half an hour ago, they're probably way ahead of me.  But hey...this enhances security!  :rolleyes:

623404[/snapback]

Here is my letter:

I am absolutely furious over the behavior of Congress regarding the Dubai Ports World takeover of U.S. ports. This was nothing more than knee-jerk reactions by ill informed and shortsighted members of Congress who have proven that they are only concerned with their re-election, instead of having actual concern for our country and its citizens. The actions of our current crop of “representatives” were nothing more than xenophobia, proving people like Osama bin Laden and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi correct. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. The ramifications of the actions of Congress will be felt for decades.

For the first time in my life, I am embarrassed to be an American. I see no reason to vote for any incumbent in any future elections.

Too subtle? Two of the three reps are up for re-election this year. Santorum is in a fight, so he needs every vote he can get.

Here is my letter:

Too subtle? Two of the three reps are up for re-election this year. Santorum is in a fight, so he needs every vote he can get.

623407[/snapback]

Santorum? He switches sides more often the a ping-pong ball and can't be trusted to keep his word. I am sorry you have to live under his idiocy. Specter is probably a little more amneable to your concerns. Besides, Santorum will probably go down, write Casey's campaign office, he is a moderate dem and pro-life to boot. Not sure where he is on this issue however.

Good idea, I think I'll do that too.  I've only sent emails off to the UAE embassy in DC and government encouraging them to restrict if not cancel their business dealings with American companies in protest over our racist attitudes.

Of course, since the free trade talks between the US and UAE have been postponed as of half an hour ago, they're probably way ahead of me.  But hey...this enhances security!  :rolleyes:

623404[/snapback]

I am also sending off letters to the editor.

Here is my letter:

623407[/snapback]

Too nice, I think.

That doesn't even begin to approach the level of pissed-offedness I feel over it. Not even the deal so much...what the !@#$ do I care what Dubai Ports owns? I'm not even remotely involved in the industry. But here I've been, defending my country as standing for equality and opportunity, and it turns around and submarines a foreign business deal for reasons that I've only seen expressed as racist arguments. Worse yet, I've been arguing for several years that the characterization by the likes of bin Laden of American attitudes towards Arabs and Islam is completely inaccurate...and it turns out I'm wrong and he's right????? And this is because of...incumbents trying to win mid-terms?

:rolleyes::doh:

Did you know you can get New Zealand citizenship simply by depositing a quarter-million American dollars into a New Zealand savings account? Only thing really standing in our way is that the wife doesn't want the cats in quarantine for six months...