Hope for Married Men:

pdh1

Craving to Spend money on Shopping ? Can’t resist urge to shop ? Nalmefne could help in keeping your shopping habits under control.

A drug called Nalmefene could curb the craving to spend when the urge to shop comes on. Nalmefene is already successful in curbing the urge to gamble, smoking and nicotine dependence.

Psychiatry professor Jon Grant, of the University of Minnesota, said: "Shopping is similar to gambling. It has the same kind of urging and cravings to engage in the behaviour even though you know it is screwing you up."

http://www.somaxon.com/som_clindevelop.htm

A drug called Nalmefene could curb the craving to spend when the urge to shop comes on.http://www.somaxon.com/som_clindevelop.htm[/url]

620088[/snapback]

So does a baseball bat. :P

You know what this country needs? A drug that could curb the craving to create more stupid and useless drugs targeting made-up illnesses. Shopping? It still doesn't reach the utter inanity of "Restless Leg Syndrome", but still... :)

So does a baseball bat.  :P

You know what this country needs?  A drug that could curb the craving to create more stupid and useless drugs targeting made-up illnesses.  Shopping?  It still doesn't reach the utter inanity of "Restless Leg Syndrome", but still...  :)

620158[/snapback]

I saw commercials for that Restless Legs Syndrome drug and thought the same thing..."WTF?"

If you've ever seen a patient with Restless Legs Syndrome, you'd know why it's not inane.

620301[/snapback]

Condi Rice has it, we noticed it during the hearing before the 9/11 commission. Her upper body stayed still while she testified. The table drapery she sat at covered 3 sides, but as you can see from the photos on my webpage, the angle I was at showed her legs and they were moving the whole time.

Interesting, so if her are legs are still at the next hearing, is she on drugs?

Link: http://www.afischerphotography.com/news0007.html

Condi Rice has it, we noticed it during the hearing before the 9/11 commission.  Her upper body stayed still while she testified.  The table drapery she sat at covered 3 sides, but as you can see from the photos on my webpage, the angle I was at showed  her legs and they were moving the whole time.

Interesting, so if her are legs are still at the next hearing, is she on drugs?

Link: http://www.afischerphotography.com/news0007.html

620405[/snapback]

Maybe she had to go the bathroom?

Got go, got go, got go right now...

If you've ever seen a patient with Restless Legs Syndrome, you'd know why it's not inane.

620301[/snapback]

I just want to know what it's like. Do they just move of their own volition? Would they walk you to a bar, for instance, even if you didn't want to go?

:P

I just want to know what it's like. Do they just move of their own volition? Would they walk you to a bar, for instance, even if you didn't want to go?

:w00t:

620433[/snapback]

:lol:

Hell, if anything Restless Leg Syndrome is beneficial, burning calories even as you sit still...

:w00t:

Hell, if anything Restless Leg Syndrome is beneficial, buring calories even as you sit still...

620449[/snapback]

Yeah! I didn't think of that angle. Now that I think of it, I've had restless leg syndrome since I was like 6. (the ever-bouncing knee)

Is the bouncing knee RLS? or is that just my ADHD?

620500[/snapback]

Symptoms include:

An urge to move the legs, usually accompanied, or caused by, uncomfortable or unpleasant sensations in the legs. Sometimes the urge to move is present without the uncomfortable sensations and sometimes in addition to the legs the arms or other body parts are involved.

The urge to move or unpleasant sensations begin or worsen during periods of rest or inactivity, such as lying or sitting.

The urge to move or unpleasant sensations are partially or totally relieved by movement, such as walking or stretching, at least as long as the activity continues.

The urge to move or unpleasant sensations are worse in the evening or night than during the day, or only occur in the evening or night. When the symptoms are very severe, the worsening at night may not be noticeable, but must have been previously present.

Sounds like hyperactivity to me. Sounds like I have it, too. Oh, and symptoms can be exacerbated by:

Caffeine in all its forms, including coffee, cola drinks and cough syrups

Nicotine, especially near bedtime

Imagine that. Stimulants can make you hyper. What a !@#$ing surprise. I sense a Nobel Prize for Medicine in someone's future. :lol:

I also like where I just read: "calcium-channel blockers (used to treat high blood pressure and heart conditions)". :lol: If you choose to quit your blood-pressure meds because you feel like you have to move your legs, you deserve to stroke out. :w00t:

Symptoms include:

Sounds like hyperactivity to me.  Sounds like I have it, too.  Oh, and symptoms can be exacerbated by:

Imagine that.  Stimulants can make you hyper.  What a !@#$ing surprise.  I sense a Nobel Prize for Medicine in someone's future.  :lol:

I also like where I just read: "calcium-channel blockers (used to treat high blood pressure and heart conditions)".  :lol:  If you choose to quit your blood-pressure meds because you feel like you have to move your legs, you deserve to stroke out.  :w00t:

620508[/snapback]

Then that would explain why it's been so much better since I've taken the Concerta.

How about that? Looks like you and I just completed a research study. Now where's that grant money?

My bonus alone this year is 1/3 of my husband's full year salary and I outearned him by 30k last year so I can shop whenever I damn well please AND all he can do is snap-to and say "ma'am yes MA'AM!"

:-)

And restless leg syndrome is indeed a boatload of crap. Now let's talk about the entire generation of zoned-out kids we created by labeling them "ADD" and putting them on Ritalin just for being kids.

And restless leg syndrome is indeed a boatload of crap.  Now let's talk about the entire generation of zoned-out kids we created by labeling them "ADD" and putting them on Ritalin just for being kids.

620771[/snapback]

You got tht right, it should be called "parents can't handle their kid syndrome"

And restless leg syndrome is indeed a boatload of crap.  Now let's talk about the entire generation of zoned-out kids we created by labeling them "ADD" and putting them on Ritalin just for being kids.

620771[/snapback]

To be fair, some kids have a condition that could legitimately be considered a mental disorder that's called ADD.

But also to be fair...the current vogue is to treat everything with a pill. I'm certain ADD is real, and badly overdiagnosed, not unlike autism is these days.

I should know better than this. But I guess not.

For those of you who think RLS is a bunch of crap, please get your facts straight. If you are somehow mistaking this for ADD, or anxiety, or too much stimulant, or whatever, all I ask is that you recognize it for what it is, a real disorder.

At the VA I've dealt with many older vets with RLS, and it can make your life miserable. It's not ADD. It's not typically a childhood disease. It's a neurological disorder that can drive people crazy, disrupt their sleep, and get worse as they get older.

We have no idea what causes it or how to treat it. Decreasing caffeine may help, and then again it may not. Some medications or supplements may help, and then again they may not. Exercise, massage, heating pads...some may help, most won't, and what works for one person probably won't work for the next.

Check it out for yourself if you really want.

I will be the first to agree with the point of this thread, that our society has moved inexorably toward masking underlying problems with more and more medications, and that's not good. And the real problem of ADD highlights this issue. But if you're going to trash RLS at least know what you're talking about first.