Due to bandwidth considerations...

SDS

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like when you limeys call a flashlight a "torcg", or "fisg and cgips", or the geir to the tgrone, Prince Cgarles...

619189[/snapback]

or the word yeard for example...BTW it is a word...and a damn good one.

"Did you know the word "yard" and the word "guard" were originally the same word, spelled "yeard" and meaning, roughly, "protected place"? "Yard" is the Anglo-Saxon pronunciation and "guard" the Viking pronunciation, but they gradually shifted in meaning so that the north of England, where they used the Viking pronunciation, took it more in its "protected" meaning, and the south took it more to mean a piece of land. "

:doh:

"Did you know the word "yard" and the word "guard" were originally the same word, spelled "yeard" and meaning, roughly, "protected place"? "Yard" is the Anglo-Saxon pronunciation and "guard" the Viking pronunciation, but they gradually shifted in meaning so that the north of England, where they used the Viking pronunciation, took it more in its "protected" meaning, and the south took it more to mean a piece of land. "

:doh:

619242[/snapback]

I thought the literal translation was "place with unobstructed view of the south-west sky..."

:D

619242[/snapback]

Yeah. Sure. But...no, since "guard" derives from the same Germanic root as "garten" (thus, the Germanic word "kindergarten" - to watch over the children), which itself derives from the Indo-European root "girt-". Whereas "yard", derives via the Germanic language from the Indo-European root "gher-"

Which, incidentally, is where the British confusion over the "h" and "silent g" in words like "scatging" come from. It's a bone of contention in the linguistic profession whether the Indo-European root "gher-" is pronounced "her-" or "ger-". Or even something like "zher-" or "jer-". So the British confusion is understandable.

Or, in other words...don't try to out-bull sh-- a bull sh-- artist. :doh:

Yeah.  Sure.  But...no, since "guard" derives from the same Germanic root as "garten" (thus, the Germanic word "kindergarten" - to watch over the children), which itself derives from the Indo-European root "girt-".  Whereas "yard", derives via the Germanic language from the Indo-European root "gher-"

Which, incidentally, is where the British confusion over the "h" and "silent g" in words like "scatging" come from.  It's a bone of contention in the linguistic profession whether the Indo-European root "gher-" is pronounced "her-" or "ger-".  Or even something like "zher-" or "jer-".  So the British confusion is understandable.

Or, in other words...don't try to out-bull sh-- a bull sh-- artist.  :doh:

619256[/snapback]

oh yeah? Well, The March of the Penguins was a great film!

oh yeah?  Well, The March of the Penguins was a great film!

619267[/snapback]

That's not bull sh--, that's the debate equivalent of "I'm rubber, you're glue..."

Look at it this way:

Me: founder of the theory of Unipodal Spherical Geckology, and contributor to Gecko-Chameleon unified theory.

You: Work with T-Bone.

Ergo, I am the King of All Bullsh***ers, whereas you just wallow in it.

That's not bull sh--, that's the debate equivalent of "I'm rubber, you're glue..."

Look at it this way:

Me: founder of the theory of Unipodal Spherical Geckology, and contributor to Gecko-Chameleon unified theory.

You: Work with T-Bone. 

Ergo, I am the King of All Bullsh***ers, whereas you just wallow in it.

619278[/snapback]

I think you have a man crush on Da Boneman. :doh:

that ain't gonna happen...I know SDS loves Marvisms.... he constantly studies him as a person, a philosopher, a role model, not only for us, but indeed for all of mankind...he would never stoop so low...

Here are just a few of his favorite Marvisms:

'What you do should speak so loudly that no one can understand what you say.'

'Adversity is an opportunity for reversal of opinion.'

'Expect rejection.'

hmm...maybe he would consider bringing the Undertaker back. :doh:

617353[/snapback]

I wouldn't worry too much about it, he's too cheap for the kind of bandwidth Undertaker would be looking for. Which is why I was telling people not to get their hopes up. I know he really desired a Levy-type to act as GM...isn't that why he hired you?

I know he really desired a Levy-type to act as GM...isn't that why he hired you?

619342[/snapback]

indeed...when there are some issues about TBD he needs to discuss, he likes it when I respond with quotes like:

"I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them."

"If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure."

"We are not ready for an unforseen event that may or may not occur."

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

indeed...when there are some issues about TBD he needs to discuss, he likes it when I respond with quotes like:

"I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them."

"If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure."

"We are not ready for an unforseen event that may or may not occur."

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

619381[/snapback]

No one builds consensus like Jack Handy, except of course with himself. We'll just call you two the "TSW Golden Boys."

Just think of the savings if you cut the top ten earners, errr, posters:

Name Level Group Joined Posts Email Photo

Alaska Darin  PPP Moderators 8-September 01 22,540 

Thailog80  Members 10-September 01 17,874 

R. Rich  TSW Moderators 22-April 02 16,665 

JoeSixPack  Members 26-July 02 16,204 

Mark VI  Members 11-March 02 15,846 

VABills  Members 18-January 02 15,213 

stevestojan  Members 3-September 03 15,128 

stuckincincy  Members 9-November 03 14,253 

LABillzFan  Members 11-September 02 13,467 

JÂy RÛßeÒ  Members 29-August 01 13,193

617672[/snapback]

How can I still be in the top 10? I haven't posted in pretty much 2 years!

But I'm watching... Always watching... :blink: