TOTALLY off topic...need parent advice..

Make sure you get out and meet the people.  Many of my best experiences were in the homes of Ukrainian friends, and they showed me a lot of the country that most never see.

614758[/snapback]

Good point. You cannot truly appreciate the culture of a country by visiting tourist traps. You need to get away from the "touristy" things and get out into the countryside. If you are not adventurous enough to do it yourself, get a personal guide and tell them, "show me the things you do not see on the tours." You will be suprised how much better the experience will be and the guide loves it. You see the passion they have for their country and it makes for a wonderful experience.

Just make sure the mace never is on her person when she's on school grounds.  Probably doesn't need to be said, but that's a sure fire way to get your daughter kicked out of school.  That means that she then probably can't have it on her person on the way to and from school when she may be the most vulnerable, unless there is somewhere off campus she can keep it.

614715[/snapback]

Yeah, I don't think you can bring Mace to school can you???

Yeah, I don't think you can bring Mace to school can you???

614789[/snapback]

I certainly can't imagine trying to conceal one...

Oh, what's that....? Nevermind.

He may not be the FAT-man any more, but I'd go with Nick's advice on this. Also go with the advice to document every conversation, including what was (and wasn't) said. Makes it easier when you take it up the food chain.

4) I like the mace idea. Also, try to teach her things that can give her more confidence. You said that she took karate. Good, but it sounds like she no longer has the confidence. Talk to her about karate. Have her tell you about things she learned in class. Have her show you things she learned in class. Ask her, "what would you do if a person attacked you like this..." Have her show you. This may trigger the confidence that she used to have while taking karate. As others mentioned, confidence is one of the best ways to defend yourself against bullies. I will relay a personal experience via PM.

614618[/snapback]

I'd really be leery of the mace idea. Mace is illegal in some states. Its probably not allowed on or near a school. Mace/Pepper spray needs to be aimed and can easily be taken away and used against the person who brought the mace. It seems like an unnecessary and dangerous escalation to weapons. What are you going to do if the "gang" escalates to knives or guns?

Thanks for all the replies guys.....

I guess there is going to be a meeting today with the principle and all of the kids....one of the things that came up yesterday was that this isn't just happening to my daughter but to several kids from her school (from this group)

Like I said...in this situation I am the level headed parent. My wife wants to bring up a buch of her nieces (I am married into a mexican family....on that side we gave lot of "interesting and unusual" people.

I dont want to overdramatize the situation.....but my wife has family that make these kids look like buttercups....and the same age to.

But other then instant gratification....what would this solve?

Thanks for all the replies guys.....

I guess there is going to be a meeting today with the principle and all of the kids....one of the things that came up yesterday was that this isn't just happening to my daughter but to several kids from her school (from this group)

Like I said...in this situation I am the level headed parent.  My wife wants to bring up a buch of her nieces (I am married into a mexican family....on that side we gave lot of "interesting and unusual" people. 

I dont want to overdramatize the situation.....but my wife has family that make these kids look like buttercups....and the same age to.

But other then instant gratification....what would this solve?

614885[/snapback]

If the principle really wants to put an end to it, the easiest thing to do would be to seperate the "gang" from each other. Change their classes, lunch, etc... so they never have a chance to be with each other in school. Bullies generally don't act unless they have their friends around them.

Come on Ed don't be bullied.  Stick up for yourself.  Use your ammonia anti-dog gun.    :D

614887[/snapback]

Nah, Iowa Bill is just a libtard. Nothing more, nothing less. Actually, he kinda reminds my of Buf 65. Whatever happened to him?

Come on Ed don't be bullied.  Stick up for yourself.  Use your ammonia anti-dog gun.    :D

614887[/snapback]

Yeah, Ed, don't be bullied (given the subject of this thread), hit back with one of your incredibly well thought out "zingers", like "I think we should turn Iraq into glass by bombing them", or perhaps something like "I am a terrible human being", or something else that shows the wit and maturity of recent Rutgers grad with a degree in psychology. (whoooo!)

Yeah, Ed, don't be bullied (given the subject of this thread), hit back with one of your incredibly well thought out "zingers", like "I think we should turn Iraq into glass by bombing them", or perhaps something like "I am a terrible human being", or something else that shows the wit and maturity of recent Rutgers grad with a degree in psychology. (whoooo!)

614969[/snapback]

Don't do this in this thread. If you want to B word at me, start it in another one... :D

Dan, let us know what happens with this meeting.

Don't do this in this thread. If you want to B word at me, start it in another one... :unsure:

Dan, let us know what happens with this meeting.

615013[/snapback]

Cameltoe

BTW it is John from Hemet having the meeting. Didn't they teach you reading comprehension at "Rutgers"???

Cameltoe

BTW it is John from Hemet having the meeting.  Didn't they teach you reading comprehension at "Rutgers"???

615311[/snapback]

Sorry John!

Iowa, way to try and hijack and important thread, jackass... :unsure::P

Hey, thanks for taking my stalker away.  I miss him like the daily skidmark.

615728[/snapback]

No prob! :unsure:

I think it's kind of endearing. Two stalkers...Scraps, and Iowa(crayonz) Bill.

Watch out, you may have ASCI after ya!

Well..here is what happened yesterday....

Because my daughter spoke up another girl came forward who was having the exact same problem (the girl is also black...not that it makes any difference to me it just kind of puts the race issue to rest as these girls are not just looking at as a requirement for bullying)

Anyways...I guess my daugher and this other girl gave their stories....and all the girls of this "gang" got a referral.

Will see how this plays out now.

Well..here is what happened yesterday....

Because my daughter spoke up another girl came forward who was having the exact same problem (the girl is also black...not that it makes any difference to me it just kind of puts the race issue to rest as these girls are not just looking at as a requirement for bullying)

Anyways...I guess my daugher and this other girl gave their stories....and all the girls of this "gang" got a referral.

Will see how this plays out now.

616549[/snapback]

What is a referral? A referral out of the school?

So a day passes and this group of kids come up to my daugher and ask "if she wants to be in their band"

:blink:

My daughter is an accomplished singer (but I dont think in the music they like to listen to) and so she probably thought nothing of this.....I think it was nothing more then an opportunity to get her alone and lay real thumping on her for getting them in trouble.....her Karate instructor told her the same thing.

What do you think?

So a day passes and this group of kids come up to my daugher and ask "if she wants to be in their band"

:blink:

My daughter is an accomplished singer (but I dont think in the music they like to listen to) and so she probably thought nothing of this.....I think it was nothing more then an opportunity to get her alone and lay real thumping on her for getting them in trouble.....her Karate instructor told her the same thing.

What do you think?

619554[/snapback]

I agree with you and the karate instructor. They are looking for payback.

Or it may be that a few of the other parents sat down with their kids and told them to extend the hand of friendship. Not all parents are total losers

We're supposed to learn trust (with caution), so perhaps she could check out the "band invitation" but you or Mom or another family member accompanies her to the first couple of sessions and meets the parents.

I agree with aussiew. Trust but verify. Make sure you are there to meet with the kids and the parents. It would be terrific if this could result in a happy ending, but I'm an old cynic. Daughters are too precious to take chances with so be sure to monitor the situation.