saw Kerry speak in person today

John Adams

I was at Drexel (in Philly) today running some errands. Kerry was on campus making a speech so I stopped to hear him for a bit. He was doing his usual I'm no dubya, the world hates us, x million people now without healthcare, growing income gap, etc.

It really struck me how little he stirred the crowd. No one seemed moved, and people were pretty disinterested in him-- they gave obligatory cheers for the Bush insults and whatnot, but it was matter of fact. It's a reflection of that horrible feeling all the Dems (who will admit it) seem to know already: Kerry sucks, but at least he's not Bush, and that's all they can say.

For those who don't know, Drexel is in the city, about 10 blocks from the commercial center city area, and its campus runs into (and shares city blocks with) the University of Pennsylvania's campus. The students are not in session yet at Drexel, although they are at Penn. Seemed like a mostly student crowd.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Drexel (in Philly) today running some errands. Kerry was on campus making a speech so I stopped to hear him for a bit.  He was doing his usual I'm no dubya, the world hates us, x million people now without healthcare, growing income gap, etc.

It really struck me how little he stirred the crowd. No one seemed moved, and people were pretty disinterested in him-- they gave obligatory cheers for the Bush insults and whatnot, but it was matter of fact. It's a reflection of that horrible feeling all the Dems (who will admit it) seem to know already: Kerry sucks, but at least he's not Bush, and that's all we can say.

For those who don't know, Drexel is in the city, about 10 blocks from the commercial center city area, and its campus runs into (and shares city blocks with) the University of Pennsylvania's campus. The students are not in session yet at Drexel, although they are at Penn. Seemed like a mostly student crowd.

44696[/snapback]

Was it as sleep inducing as his "acceptance" speech?

Was it as sleep inducing as his "acceptance" speech?

44724[/snapback]

I didn't see this entire thing- I had other things to do, and he was really really dull. I can't believe the Bushistas haven't put out talking points about how he's less charasmatic than Gore. I definitely thought Gore was more likable.

That is why I have Edwards on the ticket. To provide charisma.

44723[/snapback]

So you put Edwards on the ticket to provide charisma, and then keep him hidden from public view most of the time?

Good plan there, Mr. Micromanager.

So you put Edwards on the ticket to provide charisma, and then keep him hidden from public view most of the time?

Good plan there, Mr. Micromanager.

44737[/snapback]

Remember, he's a leader. I read a report in one of the news rags (NewsWeek, I think) about him wanting to come out firing against the SBV's but having his staff hold him back. Good leadership there.

It really struck me how little he stirred the crowd. No one seemed moved, and people were pretty disinterested in him-- they gave obligatory cheers for the Bush insults and whatnot, but it was matter of fact. It's a reflection of that horrible feeling all the Dems (who will admit it) seem to know already: Kerry sucks, but at least he's not Bush, and that's all we can say.

44696[/snapback]

....and this is why I believe Kerry won't win. people that want Kerry because he isn't Bush, aren't going to have the conviction to go to the polling place and pull a lever for a guy that just doesn't get their juices flowing. sure there will be a few that the dems get bused from the local shelters....who they have managed to sign their "x" on a registration form but for the most part.....my impression is that all these college age student votes the Dems (and the Repubs) are hoping for are going to be watching the news on the night of the election and say...."oh crap! that was today?"

....my impression is that all these college age student votes the Dems (and the Repubs) are hoping for are going to be watching the news on the night of the election and say...."oh crap!  that was today?"

44752[/snapback]

Especially since election day is early this year....Nov 2. The college kids will still be shaking off the Halloween hangovers.

When presented with the stark realities of what we face as a nation, instead of rah-rah speeches about how everything is going great but don't look behind the curtain, people tend to get more somber and reflective. If we're electing a cheerleader, then Bush has the experience, but if we're looking for serious and honest leadership, he's still on the bench.

You don't see Edwards on the news and you blame the Democrats? He's out on the campaign trail every day giving speeches, meeting at the grassroots level where campaigns are won. Cheney is just like one of those Wack-a-moles at the fair; he comes out of his hole just long enough to make rediculous statements about how only he and Bush care about America's security, and then ducks back into his hole before anyone can hammer him with the truth.

When presented with the stark realities of what we face as a nation, instead of rah-rah speeches about how everything is going great but don't look behind the curtain, people tend to get more somber and reflective.  If we're electing a cheerleader, then Bush has the experience, but if we're looking for serious and honest leadership, he's still on the bench.

You don't see Edwards on the news and you blame the Democrats? He's out on the campaign trail every day giving speeches, meeting at the grassroots level where campaigns are won.  Cheney is just like one of those Wack-a-moles at the fair; he comes out of his hole just long enough to make rediculous statements about how only he and Bush care about America's security, and then ducks back into his hole before anyone can hammer him with the truth.

44792[/snapback]

Yummy Kool-Aid.

Adolph Hitler was extremely charismatic and knew how to work a crowd. Too bad he's not running eh?

The things some people think are important ... I guess it just demonstrates how much we deserve what we get. Shallow, callow and mindless.

When presented with the stark realities of what we face as a nation, instead of rah-rah speeches about how everything is going great but don't look behind the curtain, people tend to get more somber and reflective.  If we're electing a cheerleader, then Bush has the experience, but if we're looking for serious and honest leadership, he's still on the bench.

You don't see Edwards on the news and you blame the Democrats? He's out on the campaign trail every day giving speeches, meeting at the grassroots level where campaigns are won.  Cheney is just like one of those Wack-a-moles at the fair; he comes out of his hole just long enough to make rediculous statements about how only he and Bush care about America's security, and then ducks back into his hole before anyone can hammer him with the truth.

44792[/snapback]

Given the UN's response then, Bush's speech must have been a presentation of the stark realities facing the world... :lol:

Adolph Hitler was extremely charismatic and knew how to work a crowd.  Too bad he's not running eh?

The things some people think are important ... I guess it just demonstrates how much we deserve what we get.  Shallow, callow and mindless.

44844[/snapback]

you imply that the people criticizing Kerry for his lack of carisma want a Hitler typer character running the country. otherwise there would have been no reason to bring the name Hitler into the post.

i don't mean this in a sarcastic way at all....but tell me something....do you really like your candidate?

and if so....why?