Folks...dont be so quick to give up on Willis

I still think Willis has everything needed to be a superstar for years for us in this league.....lets not peg him as "one of those non charactor guys we need to get rid of"

I want to see what this team does with an offseason of investing in quality offensive linemen before I am ready to right Magehee and JP Losman off.....

Thurman Thomas was not saint when he first arrived to us....he turned out alright

Nobody is giving up on him. I just hope he matures a little bit.

His attitude sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. That's the job of the coaching staff to adequately motivate him.

I still think Willis has everything needed to be a superstar for years for us in this league.....lets not peg him as "one of those non charactor guys we need to get rid of"

I want to see what this team does with an offseason of investing in quality offensive linemen before I am ready to right Magehee and JP Losman off.....

Thurman Thomas was not saint when he first arrived to us....he turned out alright

610568[/snapback]

anyone who can comeback from a horrific injury like WM did is a character guy in my book.

610669[/snapback]

Well, this is the same guy who was just happy that he got his 1,000 yards after the Meltdown in Miami. Tells me that his attitude was affected by the disorganized state of the Bills a year ago.

I'll give him some time, but if he pulls a TO and demands more money before camp starts, that's the last straw for me with him.

Nobody is giving up on him.  I just hope he matures a little bit.

His attitude sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. That's the job of the coaching staff to adequately motivate him.

610576[/snapback]

I hope he grows up, too. But it is not the job of the coaching staff to motivate any player. If a player is not intrinsically self-motivated he just won't succeed. That's what Levy means when he says he wants high character players. I do think Willis is highly self-motivated as his comeback (and the rehab it entailed) from such a devastating injury suggests. Maturity often comes from experience and I think Willis may turn out ok.

GO BILLS!!!

anyone who can comeback from a horrific injury like WM did is a character guy in my book.

610669[/snapback]

Absolutely!

And how about the offensive genius who takes his best RB out for every 3rd down?!?! I've got a "package" for 3rd down. Truly a meathead.

Give Willis some decent BLOCKING!!! Then see what we've got. I think you will all be happy.

Well, this is the same guy who was just happy that he got his 1,000 yards after the Meltdown in Miami. Tells me that his attitude was affected by the disorganized state of the Bills a year ago.

I'll give him some time, but if he pulls a TO and demands more money before camp starts, that's the last straw for me with him.

610680[/snapback]

I think there is evidence which cuts both ways regarding his attitude toward playing the game.

On the positive side he showed tremendous work in rebuilding himself from his devastating knee injury to do his pre-draft "work-out" when many folks thought he would still be on crutches. Granted their was money on the line for him if he secured a higher draft position, but hard work is hard work for whatever reason it is done and he did show the ability to do hard work.

In addition, after he signed with the Bills there were fiscal incentives for him to work himself into starting form, but also he had already gotten a bigger check than most mere mortals will ever see in his bonus. He onced again showed hard work by building his body back to the point where he was a quality rusher for the Bills.

In addition, to that, he spent this past off-season working out wih the Boys at the U and came into this season having added what has been said to be another 5 pounds of muscle to his frame. Again this is a tangible sign of him working hard to get better at his craft. Someone would disagree with his choice in saying he sacrificed speed to get more muscle, but no one can argue that he does not have the tenacity and character to work hard.

On the other hand, there are:

Press quotes which indicate he feels he is one of the best RBs in the league. After a great first half of season in accumulating running yards he did not put up yards consistent with this claim.

There are things which can be offered to uphold either the view he is committed or a view he is a legend in his own mind.

My guess is probably both are true, but it says more about the poster than about WM to base ones opinion on the press quotes rather than his real world work and results IMHO.

I hope Willis and JP move into Pro Bowl consideration this season!

I just hope Willis hasn't given up on the Bills. Yeah, he showed some immaturity last season and said some stupid things, but as the saying goes, "A fish rots from the head down" - and the Bills were certainly rotten at the top.

I think younger players tend to take cues from their veteran teammates, and I think there was a lot of turmoil in the locker room last season - probably more than we know - what with players squbbling, openly questioning the coaching decisions, and Mularkey picking stupid, needless quarrels with some of his better players. Toward the end, it seemed to dissolve into an almost "everyman for himself" atmosphere, and Willis may have got caught up in that.

What Wills needs now is some new sayings...some 'Marv-isms'...something like, "Tell the world what you're gonna do - but first, show 'em!"

I'm not giving up on Willis either. I think with the proper offensive linemen he could be an excellent player.

On a side note, I think we need to worry about Willis pulling a Ricky Williams more than we need to worry about him pulling a T.O. based on his Total Access appearence. :lol: