Compensation Picks

Stl Bills

Anybody know how the whole compensation system works in the NFL? It seems pretty inconsistent and confusing but what types of picks, if any, do you think we will be getting for Pat and Jonas leaving? I'm betting we get a fourth or fifth for Pat and nothing for Jennings but that is simply a guess, considering I don't even know how the whole process works. Anyway if anyone knows what they base these picks off of, I'd love to be filled in.

you probably won't get any informed responses to this question, because the nfl uses some obscure formula to determine who gets what and why. Last year, donahoe was very public in his criticism for the league's doling out of two third round picks to Denver, and rightly so. What we lost versus what they lost was similar, and yet they received the motherlode and the bills got a rock.

This year, with the loss of Pat Williams, we should be picketing Tag's office if we don't get AT LEAST one 3rd round compensatory pick.

I asked R. Rich to help me out with this one. I had him look at his 2005 Lindy's, which tells how each player was acquired. Apparently the Bills only lost 2 UFA's (Williams and Jennings) and signed 2 UFA's (Holcomb and Anderson). So technically they had a net loss of zero UFA's. But Williams and Jennings were MUCH more highly-paid than Holcomb and Anderson, and at least in the case of Williams, played at a much higher level. Hopefully that works out to the Bills getting something, but I wouldn't expect a 3rd rounder (surprise, surprise).

you probably won't get any informed responses to this question, because the nfl uses some obscure formula to determine who gets what and why. Last year, donahoe was very public in his criticism for the league's doling out of two third round picks to Denver, and rightly so. What we lost versus what they lost was similar, and yet they received the motherlode and the bills got a rock.

This year, with the loss of Pat Williams, we should be picketing Tag's office if we don't get AT LEAST one 3rd round compensatory pick.

607367[/snapback]

I know little about this stuff. Doesn't the fact that the Bills made no offer to either Williams or Jennings factor (negatively) in how much compensation they would get for losing them?

I know little about this stuff.  Doesn't the fact that the Bills made no offer to either Williams or Jennings factor (negatively) in how much compensation they would get for losing them?

607383[/snapback]

Actually the Bills did make an offer to both. Now, the offer to Jennings was not one that he'd have ever accepted -- but at least an offer was made. As for Big Pat, he wound up signing with Minny for not a whole lot more than TD offerred him.

---Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8314832

To my knowledge, the actual formula used has never been made public.

Actually the Bills did make an offer to both. Now, the offer to Jennings was not one that he'd have ever accepted -- but at least an offer was made. As for Big Pat, he wound up signing with Minny for not a whole lot more than TD offerred him.

607386[/snapback]

Hmmm....I seem to remember TD saying something to the effect of "We want to re-sign Pat Williams, but we can't negotiate if the other party will not return our calls." Pat Williams and his agent said TD made no calls, or expressed to them, any interest in re-signing the player...it seemed to be a pattern with most of our lost free agents.