Now that dust has settled--MM and TD

jahnyc

I believe that we are fortunate that MM is no longer coach of the Bills. I don't think he has the right mix of qualities to succeed as a hc, at least not in Buffalo. Picking fights with veteran players (Moulds, Adams, Shaw), questionning the efforts of others (McGahee), blaming and firing defensive coaches for talking behind his back/under cutting him with the players, getting rid of a top strength and conditioning coach and replacing him with his own less-qualified guy, never being straight about who is starting (QB) and who is injured (or generally forthcoming about anything), rasing family concerns, and, most importantly, failing to make adjustments during a game, all suggest to me that he was in over his head as hc of the Bills.

With regard to TD, I appreciated his efforts, his contributions to the community and how he tried to excite the fans with his free agent acquisitions, trades and drafts. I believe he was a very hard worker and wanted success for the Buffalo Bills more than almost anyone else. Unfortunately for all of us he did not produce, in significant part due to his poor choices for hc (twice). I think TD was too cold, and never embraced our past successes since they were not his own. TD also seemed to have pretty thin skin. I am still surprised at his comments about Blesdoe during this past season or the information that was put out about McKinney. Most of all, I would really like to understand why the o-line was not adressed in a more systematic way or why they thought JP was ready to start in the NFL.

I believe that we are fortunate that MM is no longer coach of the Bills.  I don't think he has the right mix of qualities to succeed as a hc, at least not in Buffalo.  Picking fights with veteran players (Moulds, Adams, Shaw), questionning the efforts of others (McGahee), blaming and firing defensive coaches for talking behind his back/under cutting him with the players, getting rid of a top strength and conditioning coach and replacing him with his own less-qualified guy, never being straight about who is starting (QB) and who is injured (or generally forthcoming about anything), rasing family concerns, and, most importantly, failing to make adjustments during a game, all suggest to me that he was in over his head as hc of the Bills.

With regard to TD, I appreciated his efforts, his contributions to the community and how he tried to excite the fans with his free agent acquisitions, trades and drafts.  I believe he was a very hard worker and wanted success for the Buffalo Bills more than almost anyone else.  Unfortunately for all of us he did not produce, in significant part due to his poor choices for hc (twice).  I think TD was too cold, and never embraced our past successes since they were not his own.  TD also seemed to have pretty thin skin.  I am still surprised at his comments about Blesdoe during this past season or the information that was put out about McKinney.  Most of all, I would really like to understand why the o-line was not adressed in a more systematic way or why they thought JP was ready to start in the NFL.

606598[/snapback]

As best as I can tell TD seemed to be motivated either conciously or unconciously by making sure he was not fired by a guy he hired as he was by Cowher in Pitts.

I agree that they key point if one must choose one for his failure were his HC choices. I have less of a problem with the MM choice as it was a productive one last year and the discipline he showed staying the course until the winning streak was impressive.

However, the same demons which brought him to hire a guy he could beat if he had to like GW over doing everything he could to attract Lewis here or make a good judgement to hire Fox seem to be the same demons which made him:

1. Stupidly extend rather than cut Bledsoe after two seasons when it would have been a wash for the Bills to do this.

2. Realize belatedly that Bledsoe no longer was QB enough to lead this team to glory so he cut him with the additional cap hit of doing so and handed the job to JP who himself commented that this was the wrong way to win the job.

Just as with last year, I think MM (and Clements) can do the job under the right conditions, but ultimately it was the demon of trying to prove himself which was TD and our undoing.

It does seem that Pittsburgh's offense improved after MM departed, but the play of Ben R. may also be a factor.

Another odd thing about TD was some of the Pittsburgh related stuff. I remember reading that TD moved up ahead of Pittsburgh to draft Denney on draft day because someone in the Pittsburgh draft room told him that the Steelers were going to draft him.

On the other hand, if TD had been able to retain LeBeau as a coach for the Bills, maybe our defense would have been even better (and would not have stunk this past year).

On the other hand, if TD had been able to retain LeBeau as a coach for the Bills, maybe our defense would have been even better (and would not have stunk this past year).

607335[/snapback]

I agree...If they had thrown the right money at LeBeau, he would have stayed

on to be the DC.....He was the biggest difference in superbowl XL....

What leaves a bad taste in the mouth is that we got all the guys that the

Steelers did not want and did get the guys we wanted......From LeBeau to

Ben Rothelisberger (we couldn't get a trading partner to trade ahead of

the steelers and get Ben) it was a mishap all the way.....

Even Lebeau couldn't make up for the loss of Pat Williams, Spikes, and Ron Edwards.

607335[/snapback]

I think some of the things you're blaiming MM for were related to TD such as: who is injured (or generally forthcoming about anything)

I believe that we are fortunate that MM is no longer coach of the Bills.  I don't think he has the right mix of qualities to succeed as a hc, at least not in Buffalo.  Picking fights with veteran players (Moulds, Adams, Shaw), questionning the efforts of others (McGahee), blaming and firing defensive coaches for talking behind his back/under cutting him with the players, getting rid of a top strength and conditioning coach and replacing him with his own less-qualified guy, never being straight about who is starting (QB) and who is injured (or generally forthcoming about anything), rasing family concerns, and, most importantly, failing to make adjustments during a game, all suggest to me that he was in over his head as hc of the Bills.

With regard to TD, I appreciated his efforts, his contributions to the community and how he tried to excite the fans with his free agent acquisitions, trades and drafts.  I believe he was a very hard worker and wanted success for the Buffalo Bills more than almost anyone else.  Unfortunately for all of us he did not produce, in significant part due to his poor choices for hc (twice).  I think TD was too cold, and never embraced our past successes since they were not his own.  TD also seemed to have pretty thin skin.  I am still surprised at his comments about Blesdoe during this past season or the information that was put out about McKinney.  Most of all, I would really like to understand why the o-line was not adressed in a more systematic way or why they thought JP was ready to start in the NFL.

606598[/snapback]