Any word on Spike's recovery?

SuperBills12

Guest BackInDaDay

Hope he gets well, regardless of whether he plays another down or not.

I'm not so sure how well a healthy Takeo could have done covering his 1/4 of the underneath zone in Jauron's new D. It'll all come down to his closing speed - from play recognition to responsibility. This is gonna be hard for him. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hope he gets well, regardless of whether he plays another down or not.

I'm not so sure how well a healthy Takeo could have done covering his 1/4 of the underneath zone in Jauron's new D.  It'll all come down to his closing speed - from play recognition to responsibility.  This is gonna be hard for him.  Keep your fingers crossed.

603995[/snapback]

I think he could handle it. Spikes is a player who's sum is greater than the parts. He covers a large amount of the field - might not make the tackle, but tends to be near the area. Offensive blockers have to be drawn away to stop him. He makes other defensive players shine.

Cincy's HC Lewis tried mightily to have him stay, but he was - rightly - disgusted with the organization. And he left a big hole. Cincy, since his departure, drafted five LB's in rounds 1, 2 and 3. That's a bunch of high picks for one position in a short span.

I sure hope he can make the comeback.

My parents have a friend who is a doctor, specializing in foot/ankle injuries and especially ligament tears in the ankle. Just in general, without referring to Spikes, I asked him about the Achilles tendon injuries. While it's not specifically his specialty, he said it can be a brutal injury, and happens more often to well-built, weight lifting types who build muscle mass but don't work to increase their flexibility. He said that unlike an ACL tear, where the ligament can be repaired and rehabbed so that it is even stronger than before the injury, the repaired Achilles will never be as strong as it was. :devil:

I think (hope) TKO will bounce back. I think we may see a difference in him, just because he was SOOOO explosive before, that it may be a little much to expect that type of athleticism. But I don't think he'll be reduced to a shell of his former self. I will take 90-95% of the old TKO any day.

Tough injury to come back from...any word on his status?

603949[/snapback]

I heard he is selling a cool t-shirt that something like "TKO:The Comeback", so I hope comes back ok, or they will be in the same pile as the Colts AFC CHAMPIONS shirts.

Julian Peterson took a step backwards this past year after he tore his Achilles in 2004. I think Spikes will have an extra 2 months more to get ready than Peterson did, but he wasnt dominant force in 2005 like he was in 2003.

Spikes was limping when he did his live NFL shows. He was limping bad actually.

Im sure its normal, and will be ready for full practice in July.

Guest BackInDaDay
What the Bills need to beginning thinking about is, what are they going to do in the case Spikes can't come back and play for the first few games of the season.

Crowell-Fletcher-? :doh:

604472[/snapback]

Coy Wire. give him some serious LB weight training and speed classes. Remember, the kid was once Stanford's leading rusher.

Regardless of whether Spikes come back 100% or not, get Wire work at an OLB spot. See if he has enough juice to drop into that middle deep zone of Fewell's Tampa c.2. I don't know how Coach Dungy gets his OLB June back there in a timely fashion, but I know Fewell knows. If Wire can add strength without losing speed, he might be able to take that on. Either that or drop Milloy down to that same spot.

I can't wait to see how Jauron and Fewell use our personnel to install this D.

Coy Wire.  give him some serious LB weight training and speed classes.  Remember, the kid was once Stanford's leading rusher.

Regardless of whether Spikes come back 100% or not, get Wire work at an OLB spot.  See if he has enough juice to drop into that middle deep zone of Fewell's Tampa c.2.  I don't know how Coach Dungy gets his OLB June back there in a timely fashion, but I know Fewell knows.  If Wire can add strength without losing speed, he might be able to take that on.  Either that or drop Milloy down to that same spot. 

604526[/snapback]

From what I've heard and seen on different Bills sites is that Wire will not be here nex year. :doh:

Guest BackInDaDay
From what I've heard and seen on different Bills sites is that Wire will not be here nex year. :doh:

604531[/snapback]

Well, maybe the gentlemen behind the scenes of those "Bills sites" don't see the potential of having a quick, undersized LB on the roster of a team that's transitioning to the Tampa Cover-2 defensive scheme. That is possible, isn't it? :P

I'm talking about Wire in terms of how his physical talents may benefit Fewell's defense. I'm not aware of his contract status or other financial considerations that might warrant the Bills to part ways with him.

As far as football goes, he played an under-sized, speedy LB for Stanford. He was showcased as a Safety in the Senior Bowl for the pro scouts because he wasn't going to carry 235lbs and compete for an NFL LB job. His current listed weight is 205lb. June's listed at 227lb. Some old Stanford articles had his playing weight at 215lb. back then. Now, maybe Wire's been trading bulk for speed, after all, he's a DB now. He got his 40 time down to 4.56 for the 2002 combines through rigorous workouts.

All I'm saying is that if Wire were commited to gaining 20lb. and taking part in an intensive off-season strength and conditioning program, he might be able to compete in a similar LB position that Cato June has played for Tony Dungy in his TC2. He worked his tail off to make himself into a DB prospect back in 2002. It may be less work to let his body go where it wants to go. Kinda like a natural light-heavy who's been fighting as a middle-weight.

Dollars to donuts, Fewell will have a LB with 4.6 speed back there for the season opener. Spikes ran a 4.62 back in '98. You think 8 years and one ruptured achilles tendon will improve that speed? Of course not. Chance are you won't find any 235lb LB's that could cover the amout of territory Spikes could at Auburn and Cincy in this years draft. If we've got to grow one, let's grow one.

Well, maybe the gentlemen behind the scenes of those "Bills sites" don't see the potential of having a quick, undersized LB on the roster of a team that's transitioning to the Tampa Cover-2 defensive scheme.  That is possible, isn't it?  :P 

I'm talking about Wire in terms of how his physical talents may benefit Fewell's defense. I'm not aware of his contract status or other financial considerations that might warrant the Bills to part ways with him.

As far as football goes, he played an under-sized, speedy LB for Stanford. He was showcased as a Safety in the Senior Bowl for the pro scouts because he wasn't going to carry 235lbs and compete for an NFL LB job.  His current listed weight is 205lb.  June's listed at 227lb.  Some old Stanford articles had his playing weight at 215lb. back then.  Now, maybe Wire's been trading bulk for speed, after all, he's a DB now.  He got his 40 time down to 4.56 for the 2002 combines through rigorous workouts. 

All I'm saying is that if Wire were commited to gaining 20lb. and taking part in an intensive off-season strength and conditioning program, he might be able to compete in a similar LB position that Cato June has played for Tony Dungy in his TC2.  He worked his tail off to make himself into a DB prospect back in 2002.  It may be less work to let his body go where it wants to go.  Kinda like a natural light-heavy who's been fighting as a middle-weight.

Dollars to donuts, Fewell will have a LB with 4.6 speed back there for the season opener.  Spikes ran a 4.62 back in '98. You think 8 years and one ruptured achilles tendon will improve that speed?  Of course not.  Chance are you won't find any 235lb LB's that could cover the amout of territory Spikes could at Auburn and Cincy in this years draft.  If we've got to grow one, let's grow one.

604559[/snapback]

Now I see you point! :doh:

There was an article on TKO in one of the national sports magazines (I think

Sports Illustrated). Based on what I read, if anybody can come back from this type of injury it's TKO. He's an extremely determined individual. He was operated on by James Andrews and he seemed optimistic because the tear was not as bad as originally thought. Keep your fingers crossed.............

Coy Wire.  give him some serious LB weight training and speed classes.  Remember, the kid was once Stanford's leading rusher.

Regardless of whether Spikes come back 100% or not, get Wire work at an OLB spot.  See if he has enough juice to drop into that middle deep zone of Fewell's Tampa c.2.  I don't know how Coach Dungy gets his OLB June back there in a timely fashion, but I know Fewell knows.  If Wire can add strength without losing speed, he might be able to take that on.  Either that or drop Milloy down to that same spot. 

604526[/snapback]

This sounds like it could be worth trying. If it doesn't work out, it's not like we've lost much.

From what I've heard and seen on different Bills sites is that Wire will not be here nex year. <_<

604531[/snapback]

Wire WILL be here, his cap hit is minute relative to what he can contribute on Special teams and depth. Give the kid some juice, and he can easily put on 20-30 lbs.