Top 10 available after the "Big 6" are gone

Everyone pretty much knows who is going in the top 6 picks. There's a couple of variables (I.E. trades and positioning) but for the most part, these guys are off the board by #7 (San Francisco could go a number of different ways):

Reggie Bush

Matt Leinart

Vince Young

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Mario Williams

A.J. Hawk

So given them being gone, who do we pick at #8? Well, here's my top-10 board after them:

1.) DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis

2.) Vernon Davis, TE Maryland

3.) Michael Huff, DB Texas

4.) Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon

5.) Tamba Hali, DE Penn State

6.) Jimmy Williams, CB Virginia Tech

7.) Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt

8.) Winston Justice, OT USC

9.) Santonio Holmes, WR Ohio State

10.) Lendale White, RB USC

Close calls: Chad Greenway, LB Iowa (Doesn't have that "Elite" LB play of Hawk); Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College (REALLY regressed in his Senior year and was useless in the Senior Bowl)

Mind you, i'm basing this list on talent and not need. This is a value board.

So of course we're not going to pick DeAngelo Williams. I have a feeling he will go at 7 to San Fran anyways (maybe even earlier if the Jets pass on the Brick). But this guy is AMAZING. He doesn't get near the hype that Bush got, but I think Williams is a better back. He ripped up the record book playing at tiny Memphis. He also did all that he did behind a TERRIBLE offensive line. That's saying something.

So if i'm Buffalo at 8, I would take Vernon Davis if he's there over Haloti Ngata. I feel that we can get a DT (or two) in FA. But you don't get a chance at a PREMIER TE often. You have to be picking high to take a guy like him and if you're a beast TE, your team doesn't let you go like they would a DT. I know Davis hasn't played a down in the NFL, but he is just explosive! He's being compared to Antonio Gates and he's the best TE prospect in years.

J.P. Losman needs a TE. Everyone knows that a TE is a QB's best friend. It's his comfort blanket and last year, he didn't have one. Buffalo hasn't had a decent TE in years. Mark Campbell just isn't cutting it anymore. We have a shot at bringing in a very valuable key to our offense. Kevin Everett might be good, but he was a 3rd round prospect before he shredded his knee. I'm not expecting much.

On the other hand, Michael Huff is that rare type of difference maker in the secondary. The 2005 Jim Thorpe award winner is very versatile. You can put him at CB or S and he's just all over the field. He was the heart and soul of the National Championship defense in Texas.

Ngata is the premier DT of the draft, but I think he's not the way to go. I say we keep Sam, try to get Grady Jackson or Ted Washington (after 6/1), and draft Gabe Watson in the 2nd (or Wroten in the 3rd).

As for OL, we're screwed unless we trade down. There is no one worth taking at 8. Winston Justice is the next best O-Lineman after the Brick, but he's a RT with baggage coming from a team where he had ALL sorts of help. He's good, but i'm not convinced that he's the guy at 8. If we were able to trade down a few slots and pick up another 2nd, then i'd take him.

After Justice, you're looking at Marcus McNeil. He has some sort of back problem that could debilitate him later in his career. But he's good enough to take the gamble on at the bottom of Round 1.

Max-Jean Gilles is the top OG in the draft. He had a tremendous Senior Bowl. Grabbing him at the bottom of Round 1 would be GREAT as well. But again, after the Brick; you can't take an OL at 8.

So flip out on me if you will. Say, "NO!! We need Line Help!!!". It's the truth, we do. Everyone knows it. But at 8 we need to look elsewhere. Say no to Ngata and say no to Justice. If you want them or someone like them, trade down. They're jusy not worth it from where we're standing.

The biggest impact is a defensive player so I go Ngata, Hali or Huff. Hali is prob not going to be the pick as we have Schobel as a lighter rush end. Ngata plugs that middle. See Casey Hampton in Super Bowl if any doubts about that kind of impact. I think the B-listers like Bannan and Tim Anderson are good for a few snaps but they do not force the other team to double team them. I read where before the knee injury, Ngata was top 5 pick material. Huff i like because I believe safety is a weak spot on the D. We led the league in plays over 20 yards so I think that is partially Jerry Gray's all out blitzes and partially some poor safety play.

I hate to cop-out and say wait and see what we do in free agency between now and April... but that is the honest to God's truth. Recall at this point heading into the 2003 draft that Linebacker was far and away our biggest need. However, TD was aggressive in signing both Posey and TKO -- and that need was mitigated. As of now, you can't go worng by addressing either the OL or DL -- and if we don't franchise or re-sign Nate, then Jimmy Williams could be a need pick for us. Heck, even Huff, assuming that we move Vincent back to CB.

Are you people new to the Bills? New to football? Here we are with another draft approaching, we have sucked for years because we can't block and you are pineing for the shiney new skill position toy. Draft a TE, are you flippin high? We just took one in the 3rd round last year. I know, I know, "but he is the next great TE, he is a beast, he could help us". It would also help us if we could let our QB stand in the pocket for 3 seconds to find a receiver downfield. Get a clue, seriously, you win the game at the LOS, where we currently suck. O-line or D-line, nothing else!

Are you people new to the Bills?  New to football?  Here we are with another draft approaching, we have sucked for years because we can't block and you are pineing for the shiney new skill position toy.  Draft a TE, are you flippin high?  We just took one in the 3rd round last year.  I know, I know, "but he is the next great TE, he is a beast, he could help us".  It would also help us if we could let our QB stand in the pocket for 3 seconds to find a receiver downfield.  Get a clue, seriously, you win the game at the LOS, where we currently suck.  O-line or D-line, nothing else!

602033[/snapback]

Ah, ignorrance is truly bliss isn't it?

It's so easy to say, "We need lineman! Me Tarzan, ooh ohh!". But whom?

All you have to do is look at my avatar to see that i'd LOVE to have a lineman. But the bottom line is, Ferguson and Williams won't be there.

So who then all knowing "HAMMER07"? Haloti Ngata? Winston Justice?

Do you know what the drop-off between Ngata and Gabe Watson or Claude Wroten is? Not much. And the latter can be had in the 2nd. And how about the drop off between Winston Justice and Marcus McNeil, Jon Scott, or Max-Jean Gilles? Not much. Same applies here.

And for all you Haloti Ngata fans out there, how many of you have seen him play? I'd say 30% of you at best. You're all just enamored with the fact that we can take the "top-rated DT" in the draft. But i've seen him play when he's healthy (and he's not right now) and let me tell you, he's GREATLY overrated. Geesh, all you had to do was watch Oregon's bowl game to figure that out.

Don't get me wrong, he's good. Maybe better than anything we have right now. But he's not that good.

The bottom line is this: there are only 2 lineman worth taking at 8. The problem being, the rest of the league knows this and D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Mario Williams will be LONG gone (as much as I want them both). So you take Vernon Davis or you take Michael Huff. You still have 3 picks left on Day 1 to load up on lineman. Hell, maybe you trade back into round 1 from round 2 or round 2 from 3. But i'd much rather have Davis and Watson then Ngata.

its still pretty much gotta be Ngata. He would fill the biggest hole in our defense and would make an immediate impact. I would love for us to get a good tight end but I think round one has to address the DT or OT or G positions. There are a lot of very good tight ends in this draft and I think we may find one in later rounds. Despite our complaining we are not all that far away from becoming a better than average football team. All we have to do is improve our offensive and defensive lines to be in the thick of things.

Everyone pretty much knows who is going in the top 6 picks. There's a couple of variables (I.E. trades and positioning) but for the most part, these guys are off the board by #7 (San Francisco could go a number of different ways):

601918[/snapback]

...as could a significant segment of the city's population.

The bottom line is this: there are only 2 lineman worth taking at 8. The problem being, the rest of the league knows this and D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Mario Williams will be LONG gone (as much as I want them both).

602072[/snapback]

their is no telling if ferguson and/or williams will still be on the board at #8..........one or both could slip, just like aaron rogers and alex barron did last year, just like kenechi udeze and chris gamble did in '04, just like terrell suggs and jason witten did in '03, and so on and so on back through every draft that has ever been conducted.........

we don't know what will happen with the top 7, so you can take your absolute statements and throw them in the garbage because that is all they are worth.......

Ngata is the premier DT of the draft, but I think he's not the way to go. I say we keep Sam, try to get Grady Jackson or Ted Washington (after 6/1), and draft Gabe Watson in the 2nd (or Wroten in the 3rd).

601918[/snapback]

I agree with everyting you said in your post EXCEPT for taking Wroten in the 3rd.

There is no way in heck that Marv takes Wroten because he doesn't fit into Marv's Character first theory.

Other then that, Great Post! :D

Ah, ignorrance is truly bliss isn't it?

It's so easy to say, "We need lineman! Me Tarzan, ooh ohh!". But whom?

All you have to do is look at my avatar to see that i'd LOVE to have a lineman. But the bottom line is, Ferguson and Williams won't be there.

So who then all knowing "HAMMER07"? Haloti Ngata? Winston Justice?

Do you know what the drop-off between Ngata and Gabe Watson or Claude Wroten is? Not much. And the latter can be had in the 2nd. And how about the drop off between Winston Justice and Marcus McNeil, Jon Scott, or Max-Jean Gilles? Not much. Same applies here.

And for all you Haloti Ngata fans out there, how many of you have seen him play? I'd say 30% of you at best. You're all just enamored with the fact that we can take the "top-rated DT" in the draft. But i've seen him play when he's healthy (and he's not right now) and let me tell you, he's GREATLY overrated. Geesh, all you had to do was watch Oregon's bowl game to figure that out.

Don't get me wrong, he's good. Maybe better than anything we have right now. But he's not that good. 

The bottom line is this: there are only 2 lineman worth taking at 8. The problem being, the rest of the league knows this and D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Mario Williams will be LONG gone (as much as I want them both). So you take Vernon Davis or you take Michael Huff. You still have 3 picks left on Day 1 to load up on lineman. Hell, maybe you trade back into round 1 from round 2 or round 2 from 3. But i'd much rather have Davis and Watson then Ngata.

602072[/snapback]

Ignorant? Tarzan? Look tough guy, it is simple, O-line or D-line, maybe Huff if he lingers. No TE's, no RB's, no skill players period. We haven't seen our 3rd round TE from last year play yet, but I guess he is no good so we should just move on and sign another? If Davis was a devastating blocker the Bills might look at him, but that is not what I am hearing his strength is.

Settle down, now boys. We can go ahead and take a TE with our 1st pick, and that would be fine. Then, when we can't stop the run, or run the ball in 2006, we can go ahead and draft a top DT NEXT year, with our top 5 pick.

I'm voting for Ngata or Huff....

I wouldn't be opposed to another TE in round 2 or 3, maybe marcedes lewis or Dom Byrd in round 2 if either is available.

their is no telling if ferguson and/or williams will still be on the board at #8..........one or both could slip, just like aaron rogers and alex barron did last year, just like kenechi udeze and chris gamble did in '04, just like terrell suggs and jason witten did in '03, and so on and so on back through every draft that has ever been conducted.........

we don't know what will happen with the top 7, so you can take your absolute statements and throw them in the garbage because that is all they are worth.......

602102[/snapback]

Lighten up. I do agree that guys do fall, however. Of the two, DaBrick is much more likely to fall to Buffalo than Mario. I can see teams pooh-poohing Ferguson's run-blocking and allowing him to fall to 8. However, Mario is just a man without weakness, and I can't see any way the Bills are lucky enough to get him. I'll bet $100 to anyone's $10 that Mario won't fall to 8, and $30 to anyone's $10 that DaBrick won't.

Lighten up.  I do agree that guys do fall, however.  Of the two, DaBrick is much more likely to fall to Buffalo than Mario.  I can see teams pooh-poohing Ferguson's run-blocking and allowing him to fall to 8.  However, Mario is just a man without weakness, and I can't see any way the Bills are lucky enough to get him.  I'll bet $100 to anyone's $10 that Mario won't fall to 8, and $30 to anyone's $10 that DaBrick won't.

602119[/snapback]

I'll GIVE you my bank account If Brick falls to the Bills i.e - It Won't Happen!

Ignorant?  Tarzan?  Look tough guy, it is simple, O-line or D-line, maybe Huff if he lingers.  No TE's, no RB's, no skill players period.  We haven't seen our 3rd round TE from last year play yet, but I guess he is no good so we should just move on and sign another?  If Davis was a devastating blocker the Bills might look at him, but that is not what I am hearing his strength is.

602115[/snapback]

Again, who the hell are we talking about here hammer?

Ngata? Justice? Either way, i'm not down. I called you "tarzan" because you're just sitting there saying, "MUST BE O-LINE OR D-LINE" with no rhyme or reason. Ignorrant because you just seem to think there is top-10 talent at every position just sitting there.