Lydman....

stevestojan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We got schooled for far too much of this game. The lack of reliable defensemen really showed as Teppo and Jay were stuck out there over and over again to try and stop the bleeding.

My worst fears were shown when Campbell and Fitzpatrick were forced to pair up for a shift. Aaargh.

Miller stole a point for us tonight. Pity it wasn't two - which we didn't deserve.

We're better than Carolina in one position - goal. Everywhere else they have the edge, especially on defense.

We got schooled for far too much of this game.  The lack of reliable defensemen really showed as Teppo and Jay were stuck out there over and over again to try and stop the bleeding.

My worst fears were shown when Campbell and Fitzpatrick were forced to pair up for a shift.  Aaargh.

Miller stole a point for us tonight.  Pity it wasn't two - which we didn't deserve.

We're better than Carolina in one position - goal.  Everywhere else they have the edge, especially on defense.

601487[/snapback]

Yup...anyone who thinks the Sabres are the best team in the East has a lot to learn. We're good, and we'll make the playoffs interesting...but our lack of another solid defenseman killed us in this game and will keep us far from the Cup. Its only going to get worse after the break if the Sabres dont pull a trade and get someone stronger back there.

Yeah but they were healthy, at home, and didn't play a game within the past 24 hours and travel on top of that.

601490[/snapback]

Dont get me wrong, even when the Sabres play sloppy they are still better than 20 other NHL teams, but this team wont survive in the playoffs if they let teams hang around like they have been doing lately. As it stands, the Sabres are still only the 3rd or 4th best team in the East.

That game was ugly. Poor passing, piss-poor defense. I dont know what Vanek was trying to do on his shootout shot! Miller got us a point that we did not deserve. Hopefully the Olympic break will give us a needed rest. I still think we need to trade Biron for a stud defenseman.

Dont get me wrong, even when the Sabres play sloppy they are still better than 20 other NHL teams, but this team wont survive in the playoffs if they let teams hang around like they have been doing lately.  As it stands, the Sabres are still only the 3rd or 4th best team in the East.

601495[/snapback]

I gotta give them some credit. Taking a look back at the schedule from the beginning of January until today I thought they would be lucky to have a .500 record for the stretch. They did much better. They showed they can play with any team in the conference. This team will continue to get better.

That game was ugly.  Poor passing, piss-poor defense.  I dont know what Vanek was trying to do on his shootout shot!  Miller got us a point that we did not deserve.  Hopefully the Olympic break will give us a needed rest.  I still think we need to trade Biron for a stud defenseman.

601498[/snapback]

Darcy needs to make the right move. A stud defensemen would be the thing.

He was trying the "inside out, kick the puck across to the forehand" move.  When it works it's spectacular.  When it goes like it did tonight...ick.

601526[/snapback]

Some people might not like the trickery he tries, but I'm just happy he's not faking the shot from the blue line like he did during his first shoot out... Anything else is an upgrade.

I just hope his first concern really is scoring, and not trying to one-up his latest spectaclar shot...

I agree, if he made that it would have been sick! But he didnt and now we are wondering why the hell did he do it! Would have been nice, but I dont think that was the time to try it.

He was trying the "inside out, kick the puck across to the forehand" move.  When it works it's spectacular.  When it goes like it did tonight...ick.

601526[/snapback]

Goalies have a huge advantage in the shootout and it's even greater in the NHL. The condition of the ice is generally poor (though scraping it helps some) and it looked like the puck got on edge on Vanek.

I was alot more disappointed in Kotalik's "Head Down Rhino Charge" where it looked like he made his decision to shoot five hole before he ever picked up the puck. If he's going to do that, I'd rather have him scare the living hell out of the goalie by ripping a slapper from between the hash marks. Shoot it right at his head and make the next two guy's jobs alot easier.

Lydman played 26 minutes on Saturday night and probably just as much today. That's alot of ice time for anyone especially a defensemen. I do agree though that the Sabres need another defensemen. It's obvious Miller is the #1 goalie for the rest of the season and hopefully the next 10 seasons at least. It will be squarely on the shoulders of Darcy Regier to get a top 4 defensemen for Biron or Norronen before the trade deadline. If he doesn't and the Sabres exit the playoffs early it will be Regier's fault 100%.

The Sabres can play with any team in the league, they just need one solid defensemen to go far into the playoffs. I have no doubt that if the Sabres add one more solid D-man, they can beat Carolina (or anyone else) in a playoff series.

Buffalo played on Saturday night and then had to travel to play a road game against the top team in the conference which had Saturday off. The game also started two hours earlier than normal. Sabres also had to kill off a ton of penalties including two back-to-back in the last 8 minutes of the 3rd. Despite all that, they were tied after 65 minutes.

The shootout is a total gimmick and I hate it. Sabres are lousy in them anyways. Good thing there aren't any in the playoffs.

I think OT should be 10 minutes before a shootout...BTW if the NHL ever went to 4-4 full time(which they never will), I would have 4 heart attacks per game..the end to end action is unreal

601545[/snapback]

I like the idea of a 10 minute OT. Maybe they could even do something like in international rules where after a whistle the puck is dropped 15 seconds later. It would keep the flow of the game and probably lead to some tired players getting stuck out there (which will open it up even more).

.. Buffalo played on Saturday night and then had to travel to play a road game against the top team in the conference which had Saturday off. The game also started two hours earlier than normal. Sabres also had to kill off a ton of penalties including two back-to-back in the last 8 minutes of the 3rd. Despite all that, they were tied after 65 minutes. ...

I heard Rick or Jim say they didn't get in until 2am. Heck of a job by Ryan Miller to get a point.

Yeah but they were healthy, at home, and didn't play a game within the past 24 hours and travel on top of that.

601490[/snapback]

If they got to a shootout, then I say they made out pretty well. I saw this game on the schedule a few games back and exected Buffalo to get fugging pounded on, a Thursday- Saturday night-Sunday afternoon with a roadie at the end against the top team in the conference. That's asking a bit much.

Especially after last night's game - that got chippy at the end, I was not expecting much today.