What would you do if you were Houston?

ACor58

Because I just had breakfast with Bob McNair.

Don't be an @sshole, Of course I don't know this as a fact, but from what most media outlets have reported (which have been wrong before, I know) they have Houston picking Bush.

600097[/snapback]

Easy, tiger. You just made it seem like a forgone conclusion, is all. Relax, it's OK.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So that means that they are probably going to draft Reggie Bush. They need help in so many other areas I cannot believe that they are not trying to shop this pick. I know that I am nowhere near being qualified to be an NFL GM, but it just doesn't make sense. Reggie Bush is an amazing talent but he also played with one of the best supporting casts in all of college football.

It amazes me how Houston could probably take that pick and gain so much, like the Cowboys did when they traded Herschel to the Vikings, but they are going to pick Bush instead.

599976[/snapback]

I don't think Houston has come out in public to announce that they WILL take

Reggie Bush......It all depends on how much some one is desparate for

Reggie Bush to move to that 1st pick....Remember there is two outstanding

RB who will be availble in the FA this year in Shaun Alexander and James....

Would you rather pay a 40M contract to Reggie Bush or one of these guys.

So I don't think there is going to be that big a market to get Reggie Bush,

unless the Jets are desparete to move from the 4th position to 1st but even

that is quite steep considering what the Giants had to give to San Diego

to move up from 4 to 1.....

May be the Texans just ignoreb Bush and pick the "brick" with their 1st pick

since that is a big need for them....

To further the point, look what the Chargers drafted in the Michael Vick trade. They made a fantastic deal, and yet the players they got with the extra picks probably hurt them more than they helped them. They could have just drafted LT #1. The point is the extra picks got them Reche Caldwell, who is a bust, and Tay Cody who is not even in the league I don't think, and Tim Dwight, who never helped them but cost them some coin and now plays for the Patsies. They were lucky (or smart) that they picked the skill position player at #3.

Think of who may be selecting these extra draft picks for the Texans. Are you confident they are going to make three sterling choices instead of the obvious one?

600139[/snapback]

Well that is a whole other issue unto itself. Even if they had the forsight to gain 3 more picks those are 3 more picks to screw up. :pirate:

Easy, tiger. You just made it seem like a forgone conclusion, is all. Relax, it's OK.

600144[/snapback]

Sorry, wasn't saying @sshole in a confrontational way. More like something you'd say to a buddy that was busting your chops. :pirate:

To further the point, look what the Chargers drafted in the Michael Vick trade. They made a fantastic deal, and yet the players they got with the extra picks probably hurt them more than they helped them. They could have just drafted LT #1. The point is the extra picks got them Reche Caldwell, who is a bust, and Tay Cody who is not even in the league I don't think, and Tim Dwight, who never helped them but cost them some coin and now plays for the Patsies. They were lucky (or smart) that they picked the skill position player at #3.

600174[/snapback]

Of course these picks were made by the same front office that drafted Erik Flowers, Travares Tillman, and Corey Moore in 3 consecutive rounds.

What would you do if you were Houston?,

In FA's

Sign Bently and Hutchinson and whoever the TOP LT is available.

Then in the dradt I would take Bush.

Then in the second round of the draft I would take whoever the next best OL available.

Then in the third round of the draft I would take whoever is the nect best OL available.

Then....in 2006 I would let David Carr hand the ball to Bush and let him run for 2000 yards.

That is what I am thinking too. Could you imagine how nuts the people in Houston would go though.

600032[/snapback]

They might. But since h.s. and college football is hugely popular in Texas, I'd speculate that the fans are pretty knowledgable and might see wisdom in getting extra picks. Just a guess.

They might. But since h.s. and college football is hugely popular in Texas, I'd speculate that the fans are pretty knowledgable and might see wisdom in getting extra picks. Just a guess.

600215[/snapback]

I don't know, both ESPN and SI had reported that many fans were pushing for Vince Young, partly becasue he was from Houston.

Young may turn out to be good but I wouldn't give up on Carr.

I don't know, both ESPN and SI had reported that many fans were pushing for Vince Young, partly becasue he was from Houston.

Young may turn out to be good but I wouldn't give up on Carr.

600228[/snapback]

Young getting picked #1 would be quite a surprise. I suspect Mel Kiper's hairdo would stick straight out. :pirate:

I wouldn't give up on Carr, either. He has the talent, and obviously is a terrific competitor.

Having the number one pick...and even if they have crying needs in the o-line...I think they have to pick Bush. He's one of those every few years great no-miss first round picks. I like the pick bush sign offensive line free agents, pick offensive linemen in the second third and fourth round strategy.

The injury factor at the RB position makes trading up not likely. I know it has happened but I just don't know about moving up to the first pick of the draft for a RB. You would have to give up too much and great RB's can be picked in any round. But that is just my opinion.

Packers at#5- could take L. White or in the secound round a lot of potential RB's.

Cards- need a lot more then RB and unless they feel Leinart is a need I don't see it. But stranger things have happen.

Ravens at #13 Would have to give up a lot but they might try.  I just don't think Houston wants to move back that far but it's possible.

Patriots - Do you really think that Houston wants to move back to the # 21 st pick of the first round when they have the very 1st pick?

Like I said teams will move up for a QB but I just don't see it happening for a RB.  But it has happened (Ricky Williams) Not the first pick but was projected as the first pick.  Maybe that will happen for Bush!  :pirate:

600072[/snapback]

i don't think it's likely they trade down either, but i think the point being tossed around here is that they SHOULD be working the phones and trying to slide down.......easier said then done of course.......

regarding the ravs and pats comments, they are currently picking 13th and 21st respectively, but a lot can change before the draft.......if they move into the top 10 it isn't such a big leap for the texans all of a sudden.......as well, the texans could trade back to one of those spots and then trade up again closer to where they want to be with the boatload of picks they would acquire in the deal......when there are only so many suitors for the pick you can't ignore teams that are interested based soley on where they are drafting in the 1st.......that is very short-sighted.......

I think that was a good move on their part. Considering that the kid has not had anything close to an offensive line in the last 4 years it would be tough to give up on him. That should put an end to some of the folks who were pushing to draft Vince Young because he was "from Houston".

So that means that they are probably going to draft Reggie Bush. They need help in so many other areas I cannot believe that they are not trying to shop this pick. I know that I am nowhere near being qualified to be an NFL GM, but it just doesn't make sense. Reggie Bush is an amazing talent but he also played with one of the best supporting casts in all of college football.

It amazes me how Houston could probably take that pick and gain so much, like the Cowboys did when they traded Herschel to the Vikings, but they are going to pick Bush instead.

599976[/snapback]

If Bush is not signed before the draft, Houston will trade the pick.

The Houston love fest with Bush is to drive the price up. Makes no sense to trade with Houston at #1 if Bush will be there at #2.

The talent level of Reggie Bush is off the charts. He's a once in a decade or more player. He is far more powerful and strong than he is given credit for by some. The problem is, I don't see him as a full time RB. He really needs to be what he was in college, which is half RB and half WR. And he could cause fits for every defense he faces, regardless of whether his OL is full of all-pros, because half the time he touches the ball it is not going to be a straight run or pitch out. The blocking scheme is going to be more important than the blocking talent. And the plays run almost as important as the players running them. He's a total aberration. But he's phenomenal.

The next problem is does your coach have the wherewithal to know how to use him. That could be the whole key. I am not sure Kubiak is that guy, although he is known for being an astute and creative offensive mind. But so was Mike Mularkey. If Bush is not used correctly, he could be a 50-60 million bust. But then again so could any player. Yeah, they could trade down, but if I were them, I would take him.

600083[/snapback]

I agree. Let the work of developing linemen go to someone else's coaching staff. Add Backus and Bentley, draft a blue-chipper at G with a second rounder, (along with a solid No.2 receiver) and the ballgame looks pretty good for them.

They are at least 2 years away from the playoffs. They'd be wise not to blow their load and draft the next Mike Williams just because they need linemen. Better to get that impact player in Bush, a player who takes attention away from the rest of the offense and makes Andre Johnson and co. look a lot better. In two years with Bush and some solid FA line pickups, they could do some damage.

600174[/snapback]

True enough, but if you ask any NFL GM if you could draft a gamebreaking RB and pay him #1 overall money, or draft the same guy at #3 overall money, plus get two picks and a speedy KR, there's not even going to be a debate. They'll do what the Chargers did. They bet that the player they wanted would still be there at #3 and won out. Doesn't matter if the picks didn't end up being great. By the percentages, they gave themselves better odds to hit with a few picks.

If Bush is a sure home-run, once-in-a-lifetime type player it would be hard not to draft him. I still think Houston's real need (and it mirrors Buffalo's problem) is offensive line. I would have to think that Kubiak given his offensive background and where he came from knows that.

Plus Houston has a pretty darn good stable of young running backs; Davis, Morency, Wells, and Hollings. If they could trade Domanick Davis for a decent pick like a #2 I think it makes drafting Bush somewhat palatable.

QBs have so much more value than RBs.

The only prudent thing is for someone in the top 4 to trade with Houston, Houston gets D'Brick & the other team takes Leinart #1.

It's the only thing that makes any sense, & I'd say the team that trades up for Leinart is the NY Jets.

QBs have so much more value than RBs. 

The only prudent thing is for someone in the top 4 to trade with Houston, Houston gets D'Brick & the other team takes Leinart #1.

It's the only thing that makes any sense, & I'd say the team that trades up for Leinart is the NY Jets.

600329[/snapback]

That seems like it would make the most sense, I guess it all depends on how Mangini fells about Pennington. Having coached against him for a few seasons, I am sure that they would opt for Leinhart over Chaz. (even though they have a ton of money in SB tied to him.)