Al Michaels to NBC for Sunday Nite Games

DPR4444

didn't see this official announcement posted yet, although some speculated about it in the MNF thread:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/ap_on_...bn_nbc_michaels

599443[/snapback]

......traded for "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit," some luge highlights and opening round of the next four Ryder Cups.

I hate to say this but.....ESPN go the better of this deal. I hope Mike Terrico (sp)becomes the MNF announcer!!!!

didn't see this official announcement posted yet, although some speculated about it in the MNF thread:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/ap_on_...bn_nbc_michaels

599443[/snapback]

I know this news will be met with the typical "Madden sucks" replys, but let me be the first (only?) to say that I am glad. I too had grown tired of Madden on FOX, but I think he and Michaels were great together on MNF. I think a lot of what I didn't like about Madden on FOX, was due at least in part to Summerall. Summerall was getting old, and Madden was trying to carry a whole broadcast.

Thank god. Best football announcer, period.

599470[/snapback]

I've run into him a couple times here

SpottedAl

I think it's his weekday/offseason course. He's a decent and approachable guy but he definitely guards his football opinions. If I remember right he pulls up a Michelob at the 19th.

I've run into him a couple times here

SpottedAl

I think it's his weekday/offseason course. He's a decent and approachable guy but he definitely guards his football opinions. If I remember right he pulls up a Michelob at the 19th.

599518[/snapback]

Years ago I was sitting at a blackjack table in Vegas, and this hotty chick is sitting there and we start chatting, and I'm cool and all. She starts telling me she was a senior in college about to graduate with a degree in journalism, which was my background, and I give her my card and tell her if I can be of assistance to give me a call, and then just when I think I'm making some way, we get interrupted because Al Michaels sits at the table. I've met more than my share of celebrities, but it was Al Freakin' Michaels, so I lay off the chat with the chick so I don't embarrass myself. Micheals plays three or four hands, loses what chips he has, and reaches over to the chick's pile and takes some chips.

The chick responds, "Hey, get your own chips, Dad."

Yeah. I'm gonna help her get into journalism. Talk about feeling like an idiot.

Years ago I was sitting at a blackjack table in Vegas, and this hotty chick is sitting there and we start chatting, and I'm cool and all. She starts telling me she was a senior in college about to graduate with a degree in journalism, which was my background, and I give her my card and tell her if I can be of assistance to give me a call, and then just when I think I'm making some way, we get interrupted because Al Michaels sits at the table. I've met more than my share of celebrities, but it was Al Freakin' Michaels, so I lay off the chat with the chick so I don't embarrass myself. Micheals plays three or four hands, loses what chips he has, and reaches over to the chick's pile and takes some chips.

599560[/snapback]

Muahaha

that's good...

She was smokin, huh? Kind of a suprise...

599560[/snapback]

NICE!!! I'm glad Al's daughter is do-able.

I thought Al was a little bland in the Super Bowl. The two big plays- Parker's TD run and the bomb to Ward- Michaels' calls seemed a little 'ho-hum' on those plays. For a dry game, you would've thought he'd get excited over some actual yardage gains and scoring.

......traded for "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit,"  some luge highlights and opening round of the next four Ryder Cups. 

I hate to say this but.....ESPN go the better of this deal.    I hope Mike Terrico (sp)becomes the MNF announcer!!!!

599471[/snapback]

That was announced this week - Tirico, Theismann and Kornheiser are the ESPN crew with tafoya and Kolber on the sidelines.

NBC really had no choice. They don't have remotely close to the top five guys in-house.

That was announced this week - Tirico, Theismann and Kornheiser are the ESPN crew with tafoya and Kolber on the sidelines. 

NBC really had no choice. They don't have remotely close to the top five guys in-house.

599885[/snapback]

The amazing thing is Disney (owner of ESPN and ABC) had MANY choices...and picked Theisman to be the analyst in a 3-man booth. I can't think of a worse possible decision. (OK...I can think of a worse one...but, i can't type it on a family board.)

An article I read on this said that Chris Collinsworth was going to be the play-by-play guy with Madden. I cannot imagine how that could have possibly worked.

599913[/snapback]

Collinsworthless must have some nude photos of these high ranking execs because he's just that...worthless. A total waste of oxygen. :angry:

Collinsworthless must have some nude photos of these high ranking execs because he's just that...worthless. A total waste of oxygen.  :angry:

599916[/snapback]

Do I understand your preference to be Theisman over Collinsworth?

Do I understand your preference to be Theisman over Collinsworth?

599917[/snapback]

No, you do not , as I can stomach neither...but thanks for drawing a conclussion based on two mutually exclusive choices. Just because I don't like Collinsworth means that I have to like Theisman?? :angry:

Collinsworth has very, very slowly earned my respect over the years as an analyst (while I still find his personality to be grating, he is candid and probably has a higher IQ than your average analyst), but NBC could not possibly have placed a billion dollar investment in his hands as a rookie unknown play by play guy. He and Costas might need someone to add a little levity to their booth - I think both guys take themselves awfully seriously.

Theismann will have a better shot in this booth than the last. Tirico will get more out of him than Mike Patrick, who is too busy gushing over everyone and everything to consider how he might get the most out of his announcers.

Z pretty much nailed it in his announcer column, but Madden and Michaels were very good this year in big games, and I'm glad they can continue to build on what they've started.

No, you do not , as I can stomach neither...but thanks for drawing a conclussion based on two mutually exclusive choices. Just because I don't like Collinsworth means that I have to like Theisman??  :angry:

599920[/snapback]

I had the feeling Theisman had become the "measure" in the string, and in that case I found it hard to imagine Collinsworth being brought up as a balanced comparative. On the other hand Randy Cross..........

I know this news will be met with the typical "Madden sucks" replys, but let me be the first (only?) to say that I am glad.  I too had grown tired of Madden on FOX, but I think he and Michaels were great together on MNF.  I think a lot of what I didn't like about Madden on FOX, was due at least in part to Summerall.  Summerall was getting old, and Madden was trying to carry a whole broadcast.

599475[/snapback]

Madden brought some of his tired schtick to MNF but it has tapered off drastically. And this year was probably the best I've seen of him, and I think that's a combination of now being familiar/comfortable with Michaels and that the producers of MNF have helped him a LOT in getting rid of the repetition, guffawing and general hucksterism.

When you ask Michaels, he absolutely gushes about the producers. (I've spoken to a couple who work in int'l soccer, NBA and NFL and they compliment Michaels right back). When they were so new to the scene, I doubt FOX was heavily investing in their staffing.