Flight 93 - the movie

udonkey

Not sure if this has been posted, but I was bored at work and felt like getting pissed off, so I did some reading about the various events surrounding 9/11. A Google search turned up the following site:

http://www.flight93.net/

Apparently Universal is working on a movie for release in theaters in April.

Not sure what to think...I definitely still get a little choked up thinking about the whole situation.

IMHO I think it's WAY to soon to be doing 9/11 movies...Especially on that site in the info about the movie when it says "as 2006 marks the passing of the 5 years since the epochal events of 9/11, the time has come for contemporary cinema's leading filmmakers to dramatically investigate the events of that day..." It seems like they're saying "ok 5 years is up so we've waited long enough for it to be acceptable to make a movie".

Oh and when I say "movie" I mean like a Hollywood movie not a documentary or what not. I dunno I just don't like the thought of some blockbuster 9/11 movie starring Brad Pitt or something like that.

593050[/snapback]

I understand. I just don't see what Hollywood can do to make it any different than the other two I've already seen. Maybe add some special effects. Have George Lucas do it. He can add a few Jawa's and Bantha's.

I saw the A&E movie last night (my girlfriend had it on DVR), which is what prompted my googling.

Not a bad movie, but I felt that it was more "educational" than a Hollywood movie would be. Not sure that this type of movie should be considered entertainment.

I saw the A&E movie last night (my girlfriend had it on DVR), which is what prompted my googling.

Not a bad movie, but I felt that it was more "educational" than a Hollywood movie would be.  Not sure that this type of movie should be considered entertainment.

593061[/snapback]

The Discovery version is even better for the educational angle. Kiefer Sutherland does the voice over explaining what's going on with the timeline, passengers, etc.

The Discovery version is even better for the educational angle. Kiefer Sutherland does the voice over explaining what's going on with the timeline, passengers, etc.

593067[/snapback]

Yeah see that stuff is excellent. I mean you can actually learn about what exactly happened and how it went down. I would just hate to see some Hollywood movie come out and throw in some cheezy love story or stuff that didn't necessarily happen.

593067[/snapback]

The discovery version is the one to watch, with the family interviews making it great. I have a tough time thinking that you can get actors to portray these people in a way that will do them justice.

If done right, this may be just what the country needs.

593318[/snapback]

I'm just afraid that Hollywood will really f' it up. While I liked seeing the ones on Discovery and A&E, I don't know if I would go pay $8.50 to see it in a theater. Though part of me thinks I probably will, just to see how it compares.

I'm just afraid that Hollywood will really f' it up. While I liked seeing the ones on Discovery and A&E, I don't know if I would go pay $8.50 to see it in a theater. Though part of me thinks I probably will, just to see how it compares.

593584[/snapback]

I'm also willing to bet it doesn't do too good in NYC and Washington DC.

IMHO I think it's WAY to soon to be doing 9/11 movies...Especially on that site in the info about the movie when it says "as 2006 marks the passing of the 5 years since the epochal events of 9/11, the time has come for contemporary cinema's leading filmmakers to dramatically investigate the events of that day..." It seems like they're saying "ok 5 years is up so we've waited long enough for it to be acceptable to make a movie".

593044[/snapback]

Well you better get ready, because "Flight 93" is only the first 9/11 movie coming out this year.

In August we get "World Trade Center", directed by Oliver Stone. Starring Nicolas Cage, Michael Pena, Maria Bello, & Maggie Gyllenhall.

From what I gather "Flight 93" is going to be done in a real time format, and is directed by Paul Greengrass, director of "The Bourne Supremacy", and casts a bunch of unknown actors.

"World Trade Center" will definitely be more Hollywood. How much more is anyone's guess.