Women sue Wal-Mart to require them to carry the

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be nice of people weren't dumb.  But they are.  And these stupid people need the morning-after pill.  Besides, I'd assume you'd rather have the burden of a morning after pill then the burden of an unwanted child on society.

601966[/snapback]

It is not so black and white (nothing is). My wife are certainly not dumb when it comes to protection against an unwanted pregnancy. As I said in an earlier post, a contraceptive method once failed and she used this pill. It was much better than waiting anxiously to see if that accident caused her to be pregnant and then going for an abortion. Her mental trauma of going through an abortion would have been incalculable.

I do agree with your last statement. Note that not all unwanted pregnancies are due to rape or promiscuous teen behavior.

It is not so black and white (nothing is). My wife are certainly not dumb when it comes to protection against an unwanted pregnancy. As I said in an earlier post, a contraceptive method once failed and she used this pill. It was much better than waiting anxiously to see if that accident caused her to be pregnant and then going for an abortion. Her mental trauma of going through an abortion would have been incalculable.

I do agree with your last statement. Note that not all unwanted pregnancies are due to rape or promiscuous teen behavior.

602063[/snapback]

Oh I agree its not always black and white. When I made that statement, I was more or less talking about the same type of people JSP was referring to.

Assuming your definition of pregnancy is that period of time AFTER a fertilized egg is embedded in the womb. But you'd have billions of Catholics worldwide who'd ahve an issue with that opinion.

;)

601908[/snapback]

But I have a news flash for you and the billions of Catholics out there: if the ovum doesn't attach to the uterine wall, there is no pregnancy. As Coli said...if "fertilization" is the definition of pregnancy then the Vatican defines a petri dish as pregnant. Which, of course, they don't. The whole flap against "test tube babies" was based on the idea that, since fertilization occurred ex utero, such babies would technically not be alive.

So, regardless of what you THINK the Catholic Church says, they've already established their position as pregnancy requiring not just the union of two gametes, but implantation into the uterus...which means that emergency contraception, by the Vatican's own precedent, is not abortion.

Which is a moot point anyway, since the Vatican's against contraception as well. :wacko:

But I have a news flash for you and the billions of Catholics out there: if the ovum doesn't attach to the uterine wall, there is no pregnancy.  As Coli said...if "fertilization" is the definition of pregnancy then the Vatican defines a petri dish as pregnant.  Which, of course, they don't.  The whole flap against "test tube babies" was based on the idea that, since fertilization occurred ex utero, such babies would technically not be alive.

So, regardless of what you THINK the Catholic Church says, they've already established their position as pregnancy requiring not just the union of two gametes, but implantation into the uterus...which means that emergency contraception, by the Vatican's own precedent, is not abortion.

Which is a moot point anyway, since the Vatican's against contraception as well.  :wacko:

602144[/snapback]

As I said in my other post (that JSP conveniently ignored), the "morning after pill" has essentially the same effect as standard birth control pills, it's just a stronger dose. BCP's, taken normally do the same three things that the "morning after pill" can do. It's just that, based on the timing, taking it after may be too late for the first two defenses (preventing ovulation and hindering the advance of sperm).

But yeah, according to the Vatican, sex is for procreational purposes only...

As I said in my other post (that JSP conveniently ignored), the "morning after pill" has essentially the same effect as standard birth control pills, it's just a stronger dose.  BCP's, taken normally do the same three things that the "morning after pill" can do.  It's just that, based on the timing, taking it after may be too late for the first two defenses (preventing ovulation and hindering the advance of sperm).

But yeah, according to the Vatican, sex is for procreational purposes only...

602154[/snapback]

Hence the dearth of BoTD posts lately. :wacko:

So if I understand you correctly, you thinks its funny, "humorous," when considering the creation of life or not to.  I will pray for you.  I don't see anything humorous in that decision. 

I practiced safe sex until I was married and then responsibly figured out if it was okay to go ahead.  The rest was in God's hands and I have been blessed.  Not that there wasn't some scary moments early in my life with breaking condoms etc.  Non of that was humorous and I don't think there is for these women. 

So why are you so anti-morning-after-pill if you take life so lightly.  Better go back to the Bible or whatever book or faith you belong to and check up on the sanctity of life and what is says of humor in that creation.

Otherwise you are no better the terrorists in mid-east.  You just haven't pulled a trigger yet, or maybe you have, we don't know about it.  Even suicide bombers take their mission seriously and probably don't find much more than gallows humor in it.

For the rest of your inane arguments about Walmart's right to carry or not to carry a certain drug, it is under the perview of the State of Massachusetts if Walmart wants to practice its trade there.  If you don't like, it don't live there.  I gather you don't. States have the right to regulate pharmacy practices and ironically, this is a states rights issue, not a Federal issue.  Since you don't live there, don't worry and if you don't want the drug, don't buy it.

Just like I would like to get the hypocritical 700 club off my TV, but can't, because states regulate local cable companies and require this crap to be put on my channel schedule doesn't mean I have to turn it on.  Heck, I am even subsidizing it, unlike you and Walmart.

601584[/snapback]

Wow, you really ran with that without much to go on. I'll see if I can help you out:

The humor is not in regard to the creation of life or not. "Emergency contraception" - now that's funny.

I am not 'anti-morning-after pill'. Any religious affiliation I may or may not have are none of your business. And I prefer the term 'emergency contraceptive'.

For the record, I am not a terrorist or a suicide bomber. What is it with you guys and the names? Nazi! Facist! Misogynistic Pig! Knuckle-dragger! Is there anyone here who can make a point without this nonsense?

You may find my argument inane, but I find the entire issue inane. Democrats and Republicans have been using exactly these type of BS issues for so many years to divide everyone into two camps, while they work together to infuse government into absolutely every last freaking aspect of our lives.

Hopefully, somewhere down the road, we can get a group of bi-partisan elected officials to come to agreement on sweeping pharmacy regulation reform that will include measures to ensure that every pharmacy maintains stock in accordance with state regulation, or can obtain certain items in a reasonable amount of time in accordance with state regulation, and has pharmacists on duty who will consent to dispense these items in accordance with state regulation if there are other pharmacists on duty who object to dispensing it. Go politicians!

Wow, you really ran with that without much to go on. I'll see if I can help you out:

The humor is not in regard to the creation of life or not. "Emergency contraception" - now that's funny.

I am not 'anti-morning-after pill'. Any religious affiliation I may or may not have are none of your business. And I prefer the term 'emergency contraceptive'.

For the record, I am not a terrorist or a suicide bomber. What is it with you guys and the names? Nazi! Facist! Misogynistic Pig! Knuckle-dragger! Is there anyone here who can make a point without this nonsense?

You may find my argument inane, but I find the entire issue inane. Democrats and Republicans have been using exactly these type of BS issues for so many years to divide everyone into two camps, while they work together to infuse government into absolutely every last freaking aspect of our lives.

Hopefully, somewhere down the road, we can get a group of bi-partisan elected officials to come to agreement on sweeping pharmacy regulation reform that will include measures to ensure that every pharmacy maintains stock in accordance with state regulation, or can obtain certain items in a reasonable amount of time in accordance with state regulation, and has pharmacists on duty who will consent to dispense these items in accordance with state regulation if there are other pharmacists on duty who object to dispensing it. Go politicians!

602396[/snapback]

Sorry about the insult, just thought this crowd worked that way, but you are right the arguement, it is inane and it does devide us unfortunately. Not much else to say except the last paragraph is likely a pipe dream and the best we can hope for is that we don't shoot, hang, decapitate, etc., each other as in the middle-east for being of the wrong ethnic background or religion as a result.

Peace Out

UPDATE:

And that's that...

State orders Wal-Mart to sell Plan B contraceptive

The state Board of Registration in Pharmacy voted unanimously this morning to require Wal-Mart to stock and dispense Plan B, a high dose of hormones that women can take three to five days after unprotected sex to prevent pregnancy.

The pharmacy board cited a regulation requiring all pharmacies to dispense "commonly prescribed medications in accordance with the usual needs of the community."

In this instance, it's better than shouting hooray for granting corporations all of the rights and none of the responsibilities of individuals...

603093[/snapback]

It's NEVER wise to root for the interests of big government over big business. At least big business adds something to the economy.

Hooray for intrusive government! YAY!

:(

603084[/snapback]

Wrong. The people of Mass brought this before the board, who then interpreted the regulation the way it was written, and then ordered Walmart to comply. Big government had nothing to do with it.