NFL network coverage of the "COntroversy"

taterhill

It was actually a little more than that. And for a boring Super Bowl (Pitt will win easily and everyone knows it) this stuff is like gold for reporters.

Also, Stevens said a little more than "we are coming to win." He singled out Bettis and Porter, saying that it will be sad to see Bettis leave without a ring and that Porter wont be able to sack Hasselbeck b/c he won't be able to get around Walter Jones.

Not everyone knows that.  Or am I the only person in the country who thinks Seattle is going to win? :huh:

592425[/snapback]

I think it's going to be a close game that is decided in the final two minutes. I think it could go either way.

I think it's going to be a close game that is decided in the final two minutes.  I think it could go either way.

592440[/snapback]

That's what I'm hoping for. In fact I hope we have an OT game. Pittsburgh wins with a FG in OT.

Also, Stevens said a little more than "we are coming to win." He singled out Bettis and Porter, saying that it will be sad to see Bettis leave without a ring and that Porter wont be able to sack Hasselbeck b/c he won't be able to get around Walter Jones.

592416[/snapback]

Yawn.

Not everyone knows that.  Or am I the only person in the country who thinks Seattle is going to win? :huh:

592425[/snapback]

They quietly dominated their division, their conference, then got home field and made it work. Won a playoff game without their star RB. I think they can win. We'll know more when the game is over.

I think Seattle wins by 10 points.

592576[/snapback]

Yeah but that's because you like stickin' it to The Man!

Colin Cowherd was talking to bookies on his show earlier, and they agreed that because Vegas had Pittsburgh only giving 4 pts that everyone would swoop in to place that bet for the Steelers to cover when in reality it was Vegas trying to make Pittsburgh an attractive bet because they think Seattle is going to win.

Or something like that...

Yeah but that's because you like stickin' it to The Man!

Colin Cowherd was talking to bookies on his show earlier, and they agreed that because Vegas had Pittsburgh only giving 4 pts that everyone would swoop in to place that bet for the Steelers to cover when in reality it was Vegas trying to make Pittsburgh an attractive bet because they think Seattle is going to win.

Or something like that...

592584[/snapback]

Maybe this is what you're saying and I'm just having a bad comprehension day, but bookies NEVER try to encourage everyone to bet on one side of a line. The goal is to set the line to get as close to a 50-50 split of bets as possible. That way all of the books make money on the vig.

Maybe this is what you're saying and I'm just having a bad comprehension day, but bookies NEVER try to encourage everyone to bet on one side of a line.  The goal is to set the line to get as close to a 50-50 split of bets as possible.  That way all of the books make money on the vig.

592597[/snapback]

Perhaps I explained it wrong but the consensus on the show was that the odds right now were off and it was because either Vegas was making a mistake or that they were trying to nudge people in a direction. Most of the bookies agreed that the number would go up and the Steelers would be giving 6 1/2 or 7 by game time.

this BIG controversey where Jeramy Stevens actually said his team was coming to win is really ridiculous...QUIT TRYING to invent stories...

592409[/snapback]

But dont you know that is the E$PN way now??? MAKE things appear MUCH more dramatic then they really are?????? :huh:

So what if he said this? He has confidence, plus he is going to be right!!!!

But dont you know that is the E$PN way now???  MAKE things appear MUCH more dramatic then they really are??????  :huh:

So what if he said this?  He has confidence, plus he is going to be right!!!!

592653[/snapback]

Actually, he was blasting NFL Network, not ESPN. But...same thing as far as this is concerned. Low-level phoney controversy.

That's what I'm hoping for. In fact I hope we have an OT game. Pittsburgh wins with a FG in OT.

592553[/snapback]

I hope Pit fails miserably. I hate the Steelers and their meat head fans. Worse than the raiders fans.

Perhaps I explained it wrong but the consensus on the show was that the odds right now were off and it was because either Vegas was making a mistake or that they were trying to nudge people in a direction. Most of the bookies agreed that the number would go up and the Steelers would be giving 6 1/2 or 7 by game time.

592607[/snapback]

If the number gets to seven I might take out a 3rd mortgage to bet on the fish-eating birds.

It was actually a little more than that. And for a boring Super Bowl (Pitt will win easily and everyone knows it) this stuff is like gold for reporters.

592416[/snapback]

Bull. This all started when Stevens was asked about Bettis playing in his home town. He said it was nice for him, but it would be sad that he wasn't going to win.

What the hell was he supposed to say? "Yeah, I really hope he can win this one."

And while everyone is taking it way out of proportion, Porter isn't helping matters. He just wants to be the center of attention during SB week. Whatever. I don't have high hopes, but I really hope Pitt loses this game.