How do you all feel about Mel Kiper

PSU_Mouse

i like Mel Kiper a lot. i don't always agree with him, but this is a guy that has great enthusiasm. he found a niche in life making a living on something he absolutely loves. With Berman, Thiesman and the other morons at ESPN, Mel Kiper is the only one that makes the NFL Draft watchable.

sure he has some criticisms of certain players and doesn't hype EVERY player just to stroke their ego...like this guy Michael Robinson. i have no idea what Mel had to say about him but whatever it was....he probably was just repeating what he had heard mutiple other Pro Scouts already say about him.

i like Mel Kiper a lot.  i don't always agree with him, but this is a guy that has great enthusiasm.  he found a niche in life making a living on something he absolutely loves.  With Berman, Thiesman and the other morons at ESPN, Mel Kiper is the only one that makes the NFL Draft watchable.

sure he has some criticisms of certain players and doesn't hype EVERY player just to stroke their ego...like this guy Michael Robinson.  i have no idea what Mel had to say about him but whatever it was....he probably was just repeating what he had heard mutiple other Pro Scouts already say about him.

592033[/snapback]

I agree with you.

He is doing what a lot of us dream to do....for a LIVING, talk sports, write sports, cover sports...and make REAL good $ doing it...

I just hate that he is on ESPN, because that station is ruining so many good things about sports if you ask me.

I think the majority of fans who rip Kiper are hypocritical idiots. There's so many people who pretend to know what they're talking about without watching any college games and basically their evaluation of players is based entirely on Kiper's whether they realize it or not.

I wouldn't put this Robinson kid in that category - I'd say the same thing if I were him and it was a good jab. But c'mon, I'm pretty sure Matt Millen was a better player than Scott Pioli too.

i have heard stories of how when he first started publishing his scouting report the phone number to order was his home number. and this was after he had started doing segments with ESPN.....i have heard if you called to order he would not hesitate to chat with you for several minutes just shooting the bull about the upcoming draft.

i cant stand mel kiper for this reason.... i make a lot of the same predictions he does, not to say i am some type of scout or anything, but he gets a lot of inside information from teams and GM's all over the league, not to mention he has scouts, and i think everybody could be successful with that information. Look at the comparisons on thehuddlereport.com, they are right up there with mel and dont have a quarter of the contacts he does.

Mel is interesting, fills a niche, and probably works hard to get the information he gets. Sounds like the kid has some sour grapes about Mel not fawning all over him. That being said he sounds like a very well educated kid and represents Penn State well. Character Guy as the Bills used to say. Character and a buck might get you a cop of coffee, but it ain't gonna get you drafted in the NFL>

The problem as I see it with Kiper is his arrogance. I don't know much about his background, but a lot of his predictions seem to be ones that I'd make, as well (I just watch football and enjoy it as a fan...never played organized football, but watched it over the years and have become somewhat familiar with players and teams and who needs what, etc.).

In the past, he's criticized teams very heavily when they don't draft the guy he expected them to....almost as if he's embarrassed that he made the wrong prediction, so he takes it out on the particular team.

What I don't understand about him being the "draft expert" is why can't E$PN use the NFL and college analysts we see all year long. The NFL guys should know what the teams are looking for and the college analysts should know which players fit those needs. We never see Kiper during the season and then he comes out of hibernation in mid-January and we're supposed to believe he's an expert. This doesn't mean he's doing nothing from September through January, but E$PN is better off having him do some college analysis during the season so they can at least make him look credible.

I think I don't like him primarily because of his arrogance and some of his unreasonable/outrageous opinions. Not to mention, when you put him and Theismann at the same desk during the draft, you'd rather turn the sound off and just watch the scrolling bottom line.

The problem as I see it with Kiper is his arrogance. I don't know much about his background, but a lot of his predictions seem to be ones that I'd make, as well

In the past, he's criticized teams very heavily when they don't draft the guy he

I think I don't like him primarily because of his arrogance and some of his unreasonable/outrageous opinions. Not to mention, when you put him and Theismann at the same desk during the draft, you'd rather turn the sound off and just watch the scrolling bottom line.

592116[/snapback]

I am with you Andy. I think that Kiper is insightful and is good at what he does but his delivery is terrible. I feel like he is talking down at me through my television set.

As far as Theisman goes, I am not sure that there is a single person on this board that doesn't think he is a steaming pile of dung.

The problem as I see it with Kiper is his arrogance. I don't know much about his background, but a lot of his predictions seem to be ones that I'd make, as well (I just watch football and enjoy it as a fan...never played organized football, but watched it over the years and have become somewhat familiar with players and teams and who needs what, etc.).

In the past, he's criticized teams very heavily when they don't draft the guy he expected them to....almost as if he's embarrassed that he made the wrong prediction, so he takes it out on the particular team.

What I don't understand about him being the "draft expert" is why can't E$PN use the NFL and college analysts we see all year long. The NFL guys should know what the teams are looking for and the college analysts should know which players fit those needs. We never see Kiper during the season and then he comes out of hibernation in mid-January and we're supposed to believe he's an expert. This doesn't mean he's doing nothing from September through January, but E$PN is better off having him do some college analysis during the season so they can at least make him look credible.

592116[/snapback]

Yeah, his attitude, or at least what he shows on EPSN, is definitely more concerned about "being right" about the prospects. Maybe he's a little self-conscious about being an outsider to the "scouting fraternity"? Who knows. Who cares. It would be a better entertainment value if Mel would take a chill pill and focus on the players, the teams, etc. and not get all hung up about his "record".

Yeah, his attitude, or at least what he shows on EPSN, is definitely more concerned about "being right" about the prospects.  Maybe he's a little self-conscious about being an outsider to the "scouting fraternity"?  Who knows.  Who cares.  It would be a better entertainment value if Mel would take a chill pill and focus on the players, the teams, etc. and not get all hung up about his "record".

592168[/snapback]

Thinking back - I seem to recall him bashing the crap out of the Bengals when they drafted Levi Jones in the first round.

Gee, I wonder how that pick worked out... :lol:

Is it his hair or that here's a guy making one heck of a living doing what he loves that gives the naysayers that green color?

Ok, let's bash his "can't miss" failures, or his underestimating of some others. Why not? After all he is the only person on the planet who's ever been wrong about a players talents and fit in the NFL.

Dag, every team in the NFL, going back long before Kiper, has drafts that are litered with absolute failures, bad choices, near misses, and the occasional surprise. Ladies and gentlemen, the draft is a crap shoot. At best you roll the dice on those who you feel has the best odds. Irritating delivery and/or tone of his voice aside, he's as good as there is out there. Yet, in true Bills fan fashion, he gets more than just a mixed bag regarding giving him his due.

My my, the color green suits so many here................

Mel rocks. He may not always be right, but he's pretty entertaing, & I trust his takes more than just about anyone else that is easily accessible on the Net (now that the great Buchsbaum is no longer with us :( )

... certainly knows more than any of the wanna-be's in here. :P;)