cutler

junglecat

Jon Goldsberry (fullback #44)and Jay Cutler were High School teamates and Jay tried to go to Purdue but they opted for Kyle Orton. I'll tell you right now he is a athlete and a winner he won't quit and give every opprotunity for the team to win. Whoever gets him will be happy with thye choice.

Jon Goldsberry (fullback #44)and Jay Cutler were High School teamates and Jay tried to go to Purdue but they opted for Kyle Orton. I'll tell you right now he is a athlete and a winner he won't quit and give every opprotunity for the team to win. Whoever gets him will be happy with thye choice.

590086[/snapback]

Way to come strong on that first post! 0:)

SORRY...I meant to say, "Welcome to The Stadium Wall. Have a great day."

But, If I were you, I'd have thought twice about about starting a new thread when there are several current threads about Cutler. And, I don't know that I would have made my first post today. As there's been no real Bills news in a few days, the mob is getting ugly and the board is turning on itself. I'm thinking fresh meat is what they'll pounce on. Hey...you didn't ask, I know. Just my two cents.

My advice? DUCK!

Welcome to our little dysfunctional family, junglecat!

The one negative I have heard about Culter is that he has small hands.

Some other QB (don't recall who) had a similar rap a few years back. Oh yeah,, it was Tony Banks with the Rams. He used to fumble a lot, and they said small hands was the reason...

Maybe Cutler can overcome it, who knows?

Welcome to the Wall, junglecat.

Hope you are spayed, because this is Dystemper City.

I'd like Cutler in Round 2, but he'll be gone by then and he's not a lineman, and for this offense to work, we need a dominating line. For the defense to work, you need a high-pressure line. We have neither, and will be hitting FA and the draft accordingly.

590086[/snapback]

Personally he reminds me a lot of Kerry Collins, Richard Todd. He does not do well against pressure at the college level. I do not think he will change at the pro level.

Welcome to our little dysfunctional family, junglecat!

The one negative I have heard about Culter is that he has small hands.

Some other QB (don't recall who) had a similar rap a few years back. Oh yeah,, it was Tony Banks with the Rams. He used to fumble a lot, and they said small hands was the reason...

Maybe Cutler can overcome it, who knows?

590265[/snapback]

Culpepper seems to suffer from small hands as well.

Nobody thought Tom Brady would do sh-- in the league.

591050[/snapback]

That's because he didn't play in college. How is anybody surpose to project a player who didn't play in college as a Super Bowl / Pro Bowl player. Youm ight say I think he will be a good player but you arn't going to tell me that a player that did not play in college is going to be a super star.

This kid has plenty of tape on him to form an opinon. He is very bothered by a strong pass rush. That's a fact. Some scouts are trying to excuse this by saying that he did not have a very good O-line. You can excuse it all you want but the fact is that he is bothered by a hard rush up the gut in his face and will make a ton of mistakes because of it. If you can live with that then draft him.

That's because he didn't play in college. How is anybody surpose to project a player who didn't play in college as a Super Bowl / Pro Bowl player.  Youm ight say I think he will be  a good player but you arn't going to tell me that a player that did not play in college is going to be a super star.

This kid has plenty of tape on him to form an opinon.  He is very bothered by a strong pass rush.  That's a fact.  Some scouts are trying to excuse this by saying that he did not have a very good O-line.  You can excuse it all you want but the fact is that he is bothered by a hard rush up the gut in his face and will make a ton of mistakes because of it.  If you can live with that then draft him.

591112[/snapback]

??

He played at Michigan for two years. The team had a 20-5 record (I believe) with him as the starter. i think he suffered from the "Michigan QBs suck" stereotype (sorry NG ;) ) as much as anything else.

Oh, wait...maybe i'm thinking about the Penn State stereotype... 0:)

Nobody thought Tom Brady would do sh-- in the league.

591050[/snapback]

Th key thing is that because no one though Brady was much, NE got him in the 5th round for the vet minimum plus around 50K.

BB and the Pats were in no position to pick a player with a slotted first round salary cap hit to play QB because they already had their QB allocation consumed with Bledsoe's huge deal.

This is the exact same situation for the Bills. Cutler may well turn out to be great and a wonder to have as a player. That's nice but in the real world for the Bills who cares.

We can only allocate a specific amount to the cap hit of the QB position. We can go over that allocation if we want, but the result is similar to one where the Bills ended up with an allocation of a large prorate bonus at the QB position to RJ and the allocation of Doug Fluties achieved incentives and the rollover of those achieved incnetivs into his base salary.

Under the 1999 we simply could not afford to allocate $11 million or so to one position and thus we were forced to remegotiate a long-term deal with DF to prorate his salary.

Even still we owed him the appx. $3 million in 1998 achieved incentives and also owed the roughly $4 million in prorated RJ cap hit and this QB load forced us to cut a bunch of vets who may have stayed in their lanes when the Titans pulled off the Home-rin Throw up on the Bills in the playoffs.

If we chose Cutler and gave our QB the cap hit slotted for a #8 choice, and added that to the slotted cap hit JP gets as a 1st round choice and added that to the manageable but still significant cap hit of Holcomb, then the Bills will find it difficult to meet our other screaming needs on either OL, to replace Moulds, tag Clements, back-up WM or whatever.

We will pay a #8 slot wither way, but it is a world of difference for us to allocate it to the DL rather than have it weigh on the QB slot. Even better, we badly need to trade down as we are more than one player away from even making the playoffs.

Its a sport so it does matter at a basic level how good a player is. However, its a business also and within the growing partnership between the NFL and NFLPA there is a salary cap.

The real answer for even a true statement of how good a QB Cutler or Evans may be is who cares.

If you want to win it makes no contractual sense for them to be Bills.

Kiper is now projecting Cutler as the number 9 pick in the first round. 

Did Cutler's "small hands" cause him to fumble alot in college or are the doubters merely speculating about said propensity/possibility?

590589[/snapback]

Mort done got him as the best QB in the draft, and suspects he will go #2 to the Aint's. WOW. Smells like an Akili Smith thing to me, but I must say I have never seen the kid play

590086[/snapback]

Don't pay any attention to the Dean...we're all friendly here. Just be real careful around the showers if stuckincincy is in the area. Watch for the dropped soap thing he does! 0:)

590086[/snapback]

Welcome to the boards, and thanks for the insight about Cutler.

jay cutler = kyle boller

except i think boller is dumber..... a lot dumber

593095[/snapback]

For Bills purposes it matters little whether Cutler plays like Boller or Roesthsbergeresque, because the real world situation in terms of the #8 contract slot is that if the player he resembles most in play is RJ (moments of brilliance but an overall history of not delivering consistently for the Bills) picking him will kill us for several years.

However, even Cutler proves to be as productive as Doug Flutie for the Bills (like him or not he QB'ed the team to some Ws, met all of his incentives with his play, and led this team to a playoff berth- though he got dumped from starting in the playoffs after the Bills clinched a berth early enough with him to give him a "rest" which RJ promptly used to impress Ralph with his performance against an IN team that mailed it in) the contract he earned killed the team.

The Bills simply have too much $ and salary cap allocated to the QB position with the 1st round contract we must pay JP (whether you cut him or not) and the smaller but still significant contract we are paying Holcomb.

If we picked Cutler, Vince Young, or any other QB with out first pick, the cap imbalance would make it that much harder for us to perform the already difficult tasks of:

1. Improving our ability to stop the run likely with a DT pick.

2. Getting some OL talent to help us run the ball.

3. Getting some quality back-up for WM to help us run the ball.

4. Getting some pass rush help as particularly with Jauron choosing a 4-3 and using more Cover 2 pressuring the QB will be a key to success.

5. Dealing with the FA uncertainties and age issues in the secondary.

All 5 of these issues strike me as far more important gets we can use the draft for which would help this team win than getting a QB who regardless of how well he played would simply limit this team's ability to make gets which would help us win.